GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my apologies if this has already been answered in another thread, but from what i saw posted regarding the accepted devices for the terrain usb port, gen 1 and 2 zunes were listed as acceptable. however my gen 1 zune won't connect - i don't get any type of error message or anything, it simply doesn't read that anything is connected. is there something specific i need to do to get this to work? i saw mention of putting it in a certain mode or something along those lines, but as i don't have the manual anymore, i'm not sure how to go about doing this, if i even need to. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thanks for the info and link Snowitch. my firmware is up to date as far as I know but I'll double check. doesn't look like they have the gen 1 manual online but perhaps the non-HD ones apply to mine as well. I'm going to try "restarting" the device as listed in those and see what that does. thanks again!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so resetting the device didn't work, but i did see that there is a new update for the zune (thanks for the reminder to check snowitch!), so updating now. fingers crossed that this sorts it out! my zune is 30GB and almost full, whereas my ipod touch is only 8GB, so i would really like this to work! ;D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sad to say that there is no change after updating my zune. it simply doesn't recognize that anything is there. now to look into how to change the memory formatting....if anyone has any pointers, please let me know! thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok upon further review of the owner's manual, it looks like maybe only ipod's and usb drives are compatible with the radio with hard drive (CD/DVD/MEM vs. Radio with CD). though i would think i would get a "device not supported" error or something. oh well.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Neither my 30 Gig Zune or Sanza worked :( The Zune was not latest firmware though, I'll try that another day...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you get an error message or did it just act like nothing was there?

i've kinda given up on it myself. doesn't make much sense that it lists it in the manual as an option for the non-NAV radios, but not for NAVs. however, i would be interested to hear from others if anyone has any success! thanks! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SnowItch said:
d

The "manual" was less than helpful, wasn't it?

I'm very disappointed in the lack of correct, detailed, information available on the Infotainment systems.
yeah, they definitely could have done a better job there. but it could always be worse...lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
For my Zune and Sansa, both the MP3 units acted as if they were connected to a device that could transfer data. I.E. the screens on the devices showed their dual moving arrow indicating sync. But the radio in the 'Nox was competely oblivious to the connection. The USB icon on the radio screen never lit up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my zune 30 didn't show the sync or "connected" message, but it was taking a charge and the USB icon never lit. yeah, my zune doesn't play when synced either, so i guess in my case i'm lucky in that i can still charge and play via the Aux port but it's hard to pass up the direct control i get with the iPod. this is my first vehicle with audio controls like that, so i guess i should just be happy it does at least one! ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Instead of creating a new thread I will just bump this one. I've been using my 8 GB Zune (original version) in my Terrain through the USB port. It worked great for a few days, even showed the Zune graphic icon on my head unit (Note: I have the base stereo). But all of a sudden it's not being recognized anymore -- out of the blue. I didn't make any changes to settings. I always left the Zune connected in my center console and whenever I turned the car on, it read the device fine until yesterday.

I've unplugged it numeroud times. Turned off the car and restarted, nothing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
SnowItch said:
There have been several reports of USB ports going bad. Try plugging a usb dongle into the USB port and see if that is recognized (try using a major brand, make sure that any "auto-loading" software is disabled, that it is formatted FAT32 and that it is recognized by your computer first). If it isn't, go visit your dealer.

If it is, then see if the Zune is recognized by your computer. If it is not recognized on your computer, back to MS it goes (just a heads up - the return process is painfully slow). If it is recognized on your computer, then I am at a loss as to what the problem is
I plugged my Zune into my computer and updated it. Swapped out a few songs, plugged it back into the Terrain and good to go. I can't imagine an update would fix it but it appears to be the case. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm beginning to wonder if my 30 gig is incompatible (software update didn't work) or if it just has too many songs as it's over the 2500 song limit that was noted. I may try that this weekend. Will post results!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good points snowitch. Oh well I'll just have to hold onto a sliver of hope that it'll work one day...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem happen again. The AUX wasn't recognizing the Zune. So, naturally I thought I needed an update. Wrong. I took my Zune back to my home computer, plugged it in, and nothing. My Windows OS didn't recognize it. I tried all the USB ports, nothing.

So I gave up. I went and talked on the phone, did other stuff to kill some time and go back to my computer. I plug the Zune in and it was recognized. Weird. I think it might have something to do with the Zune losing battery and completely turning off? Not sure.

I didn't have an update so I just swapped a few songs, took it back to the car and plugged it in. Nothing, I actually got an error message on my Terrain display about incompatibility and "it's safe to unplug the USB device." Ok, so I did, reconnected and it worked.

Trial and error seems to suggest that over time the Zune needs to completely discharge it's battery or completely turn off. Then it can be reconnected. I wish I had an answer but with all new technology things seem to be shaky. Hope this helps, maybe there can be a master thread about USB connectivity through each specific device since threads are scattered all over this forum with good information.

Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update:

I keep getting the same problem over and over again. The only thing that remedies the problem (from what I can tell) is if the Zune fully discharges the battery and I reconnect. Sometimes I can get it to connect by plugging into my computer and swapping out files, although I get errors connecting to my computer on occasion.

All in all, I think either 1) the Zune software is buggy when integrated with the Terrain or; 2) my Zune is messed up.

Either way, I used my friend's USB flash drive and it loaded no problem. I think I'm just going to buy a flash drive and go that route.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts