GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 90-day OnStar free trial ends in 2 weeks. I got a “warning” email that I would be dinged for $34.99/month soon. So I sucked it up and called them. All I’m interested in is the remote app deal, which retails for $14.99 a month. No way it’s worth that to me, though. I only use it in the winter. So I called and explained my situation to a lovely offshore operator who then connected me to a loyalty guy in Toronto. Explained my situation to him, and told him I wanted to shut it down. He asked me what I would be willing to pay and I told him $5/month. I’d commit to a year for $60. He came back with $7.99/month. Close to $100/year. Still too rich for me. So he comes back with $79.99 for a year. That’s $6.66/month. I know. Ironic. I pointed out that I still had 2 weeks of my free plan, so he added 1 free month, reducing my monthly cost to $6.16. I assume they would do similar deals with their larger packages if you’re willing to bust their balls a bit. After all, the hardware is already in the car and it costs them literally nothing to run it. So some $$$ is always better For them than no $$$. Remember that when you talk to them.

So, close enough to 5 bucks a month for me. The takeaway is: everything is negotiable. The world is a Turkish bazaar.

As an aside, I’m a Detroit area resident and my neighbor was a fairly high-ranking executive at OnStar for years. Although I can‘t specifically quote any private conversations I may have had with him, let me ask you this: Suppose you were NOT an OnStar safety program subscriber, got in a serious accident and hit the red button anyway. Do you honestly think they wouldn’t respond? Can you say giant freaking lawsuit? Just saying.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
This kind of confirmed my suspicions about non-member On Star working in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
262 Posts
From what I understand, when service is canceled OnStar sends a signal to the vehicle disabling everything other than the "blue" OnStar button. You can press the blue button and get an operator (it is left active so people can reactivate if they want, or a subsequent owner can set up an account and activate the features). Otherwise, all other services are shut off including all emergency services. People have even reported that pushing the "red" button after canceling OnStar resulted in an automated recording stating the OnStar service in the vehicle was not active.

I do not think a driver would have a case in court if they were not a subscriber and expected to get service when hitting the red button. OnStar is not 911. They are a for-profit concierge service that will call 911 on your behalf if you are an active subscriber. If you don't subscribe, you can't expect service. They even indicate on their website that Remote Access only plans do not include automated crash response or Emergency Services. They may offer "blue button" assistance to non-subscribers as a Good Samaritan kind of response (and also to show the non-subscriber the service has value in the hopes of having them subscribe), but they are under no obligation to provide service to non-subscribers.

·
Registered
475 Posts
We sure got just the opposite result with our last renewal. Auto renewal was going to be $325 +/_ for the year for safety and connected services that we had in the last year. No way, so I called them. Got a real reasonable rate, so good that I specifically asked if it was for the same plan. Girl said "yes, same plan, everything is the same as you had." Two days later the cell phone would not unlock doors, start engine, etc. No connected services. Emails, chats, phone calls, nothing changed. Basically lied to us. I wonder if GM is actually the owner or in charge of the service now? We're done with On Star. Cheat me once, shame on you, cheat me twice, shame on me. I'd suggest not even allowing then to start the free trial, and do not give them a credit card number.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes, I also played "Let's Make A Deal" with OnStar for the remote access plan. Mine is also around $100 per year on my 2019 Redline. Mine comes due again in January, so now I know there is still room for negotiation on fees.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Which of the functions does "remote access" give you? Just the remote locks and engine start? Or "find my car" and others? My trial is ending in two weeks and $35 a month is about $30 a month too much.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Which of the functions does "remote access" give you? Just the remote locks and engine start? Or "find my car" and others? My trial is ending in two weeks and $35 a month is about $30 a month too much.
I don't know about the newer ones but can you remote start with the fob or do you need to pay for it monthly? If monthly, what a rip off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Key fob remote start is still free...if you want to do anything with the app other than read the owners manual or find your local dealer then you have to pay some sort of fee... which like we learned here is negotiable.

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Registered
511 Posts
There are quite a few features with the Remote Access plan. Remote controls;stop/start, horn/lights - Vehicle Status: fuel level, tire pressure, oil life, fuel economy, odometer - Vehicle locate - My Chevy Rewards - Chevy Smart Driver - Navigation/send to vehicle - Apps & Favorites - Owners Manual - Roadside Assistance and a few more items.

What you don't get is Safety & Security/crash response. If you don't get this level of OnStar service on the latest GM models, you can't do any remote functions with your phone, just your key fob. You can opt for the monthly diagnostics report without an subscription.

Really, for around $100 annually there are a lot of features included, and you're not paying for unnecessary features.

·
Registered
475 Posts
These Onstar plans are moving targets on what they offer. As I understand it (?) the Remote Access is the standard plan that is free for 10 years, key fob remote, some info accessibility. Safety and Security is the crash response deal. Connected Services is the phone remote control ability to start, lock and unlock deal. This may have changed recently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts