GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a lot of talk around gas mileage on the 4cyl Terrains. Unless its driving style, I really don't understand those getting low mpg's. To begin with when I drive our 2011 SLE2 2 wheel drive, under most accelerating conditions I try to get it to shift between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm and it seems to get up to speed just fine keeping up with most traffic. When I need quicker acceleration, more rpm's are needed but rarely over 4,500 at shifts. Keep in mind that I have a 430 hp Corvette, so I didn't buy the Terrain for fast get aways from traffic lights, after all its a4,000 lb crossover with 182 hp....

Another thing I do with all my cars is to look far ahead when driving and try to time red lights, backing off the gas early and coasting to them, at times trying to avoid coming to a complete stop. This can also be done with stop signs, letting off the gas a little sooner and coasting up to them.

Another possible big difference is using pure gas verses 10% ethanol blended gas. So far I have only used 100% gas in the Terrain. I have found with my other cars that the 10% ethanol causes the loss of 3 to 4 miles per gallon, even in the Vette. I know that pure gas is not avalible in all areas. There is a web site that lists stations that carry pure gas it may be or not be up to date but here it is. pure-gas.org. They are listed by state.

I will list the mpg's we have gotten so far with or Terrain in the next thread...

·
Registered
142 Posts
i think i read that epa test highway avg speed at 48 mph, and city at 20 mph...no wonder...set your cruise control for 48 mph, on level pavement, no a/c on...and betch ya get the number on sticker. i did...good news...i felt so much better that my terrain was running properly...bad news...my old v6 got about the same with a whole lot more power and quieter motor.

having warranty...priceless :-\

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the mpg's we have gotten so. All these figures are by math, not from the dic, which is some times dead on and other times way off. We bought the Terrain in Dec., so the first several fill ups were in winter driving...

1. 25.8 mpg.. 30.1 avg mph winter, suburban driving for the first 5 tank fulls...

2. 23.4 mpg.. 30.3 avg mph

3. 22.9 mpg.. 28.8 avg mph

4. 24.7 mpg.. 31.5 avg mph

5. 22.0 mpg.. 30.3 avg mph

6. 27.4 mpg.. 30.8 avg mph much warmer weather

7. 29.0 mpg.. 52.8 avg mph about 70% highway at 70 mph

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You bring up a good point about the 10% ethanol gas that most of us have no choice but to use. I don't know if the EPA testing was done with pure gas or with a 10% ethanol mixture...but testing was likely done in 2007 or 2008 (the redesigned 2010 Equinox went on sale the spring of 09) before nearly every gas station went with the 10% mix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scottb said:
i think i read that epa test highway avg speed at 48 mph, and city at 20 mph...no wonder...set your cruise control for 48 mph, on level pavement, no a/c on...and betch ya get the number on sticker. i did...good news...i felt so much better that my terrain was running properly...bad news...my old v6 got about the same with a whole lot more power and quieter motor.

having warranty...priceless :-\
I'm not complaining,..... I bragging on how good it is on gas....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do EPA fuel economy estimates account for the use of ethanol blends that are common today?

No. The EPA fuel economy tests use 100 percent gasoline, and no adjustments are made to account for ethanol. Most conventional vehicles using E10 (10 percent ethanol) will experience a 3 to 4 percent reduction in fuel economy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i am not complaining either, really...i am glad it is running correctly...but **** it why can't epa simply rate mpg at 30, 50, and 70 mph...and say it on the sticker???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NoobNox said:
You bring up a good point about the 10% ethanol gas that most of us have no choice but to use. I don't know if the EPA testing was done with pure gas or with a 10% ethanol mixture...but testing was likely done in 2007 or 2008 (the redesigned 2010 Equinox went on sale the spring of 09) before nearly every gas station went with the 10% mix.
Check that web sight I posted to see if any non-ethanol stations are near you.... Pure-gas.org It might make a real difference...

·
Registered
142 Posts
here in minnesota, you can't put non ethenol in vehicle that can run on blend...i think sticker on pump even says they can arrest you or something...i do buy it for the boat...maybe i should get like a 50 gallon drum... ???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few other things I do to help the mp's.... If I waiting in line for the drive up bank teller, I turn the car off for that minute or two while waiting, I also shut it down while I'm at the bank window. I never warm my car up, I just drive easy for the first couple of miles... Oh and I never use the remote start...why waste gas....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scottb said:
here in minnesota, you can't put non ethenol in vehicle that can run on blend...i think sticker on pump even says they can arrest you or something...i
Are you sure about that... There are quite a few stations listed on that sight from MN. that carry pure gas....

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah, they carry it...but i think they are mandated to have the sticker on it...says something about only for boats, other small engines, or classic cars or something.

·
Registered
149 Posts
LS3Vette said:
Check that web sight I posted to see if any non-ethanol stations are near you.... Pure-gas.org It might make a real difference...
Does it cost extra?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
LS3Vette said:
Unfortunately I live in the DFW metroplex area and there are none listed within decent distance of me. Btw this brings up a good question...do flex-fuel engines suffer the same MPG hit with the 10% ethanol that regular engines suffer from?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
reako said:
Does it cost extra?
At the stations near me, middle TN area, some charge a few cents more, others are the same as the near by 10% ethanol prices... Most of the pure gas stations have large signs out front saying NO ETHANOL....

·
Registered
978 Posts
NoobNox said:
Btw this brings up a good question...do flex-fuel engines suffer the same MPG hit with the 10% ethanol that regular engines suffer from?
Yes, especially large SUV's like the Chevy Avalanche

·
Registered
176 Posts
The closest station that sells pure gas (91 octane) near me has it for about $0.60/gallon more than their E10. I have used it in a couple of my cars and saw no MPG improvement over the E10 we are forced to use in Florida. Not worth the premium price.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just checked the mileage on my I4 with a starting mileage of 887 I put 223 miles on it probably about 50% city and 50% highway. I did it over a period of a week with temperatures anywhere from in the low to mid 30s to the mid 40s. It figured out to 24.6 MPG. I didn't think that was too bad. Hopefully it will improve a fair amount as I get more miles on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wanted to add my mpg's from my latest 2 tanks of gas. These mpg figures come from math, not the dic, that gave the readings from these two tank fulls to be 23.6 mpg and 29.5 mpg....

#8. 22.3 mpg... 26.6 avg mph... mostly in town driving

#9. 30.6 mpg... 43.6 avg mph... mostly rural driving with speed between 40 & 60 in the rain, best mpg so far.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry to crap/vent on your "Yep, Another MPG Thread..." but I just wanted to add my input: There are so many variables when comparing fuel economy.....personally it's so much easier for me to simply accept that my I4's going to get mid-high twenties MPG. I don't care if it's 23.9 or 24.4 or 26.3.....just drive the darn thing! I understand times are tough and gas prices are high, but man, seems a bit obsessive at times with all the MPG tracking and comparisons. If I was that concerned about fuel economy I would just buy a Prius or something. Hell get Volt, or even Leaf and just don't use any gas at all! End rant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts