GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to know how deep this rack runs. Will the length interfere with the opening of the hatch?

Anyone use a fairing with this bike rack on factory rails?

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maxingandrelaxing said:
Would love to know how deep this rack runs. Will the length interfere with the opening of the hatch?

Anyone use a fairing with this bike rack on factory rails?

Thanks for any thoughts.
You can install that rack, or two of them. BUT, (1) it must be installed in reverse, with the front wheel of the bike mount toward the rear of the car (the rear of the bike facing forward) and (2) the standard mounting brackets require round or square cross bars, not fitting the GM bars, so a special mounting braket kit is required. For these reasons, I chose to not get this one.

On my Equinox the tire tray would overhang the rear hatch door about 6-8 inches if mounted with the bike's front wheel facing toward the front of the vehicle. The tire tray is about 55 inches long, so it WILL interfere with the hatch door if mounted traditionally.

There is a demonstration of the reversed mounting method in the installation instructions.
https://assets.yakima.com/product/instructions/8002107

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Maxingandrelaxing said:
Ugh... this is what I feared. Not the info I wanted, but thanks!

AW what rack did you end up getting?
The only Yakima one that doesn't require it be installed with the bikes facing the rear is the Raptor Aero. I tried a couple of those, but they started rusting. Wound up getting the hitch and a Yakima holdup 1 1/4. So much nicer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maxingandrelaxing said:
Ugh... this is what I feared. Not the info I wanted, but thanks!

AW what rack did you end up getting?
After looking at roof racks for a while I decided to use a hitch rack. I installed a 2" hitch receiver on my Equinox. I am able to use a hitch mounted rack. Right now I'm still looking. Can't make up my mind :shrug:
I welded up a home made 2 bike rack, but did not like it. Someone offered me $25 for it, so it has a new owner.
I also have a cargo tray so I'm looking at some of the add on bike racks attachments for the tray.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work! I had initially bought a 2"hitch and planned for a holdup, but went back to roof racks, as I had on my other cars, because I need daily access to the rear hatch and will only use the hitch rack a few times a week. It just isn't practical for me right now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I looked at the Yakima SwingDaddy, which would allow the rack to move to the side when the rear hatch needs to be open.
I only carry the bikes a few time per year. I'm thinking I might try to build another home made one similar in function to the SD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts