GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My three month trial was coming up on 2/10. I had already gotten two mailings from them asking me to renew. Based on multiple car forums (including this one), I felt that I had enough ammo to bargain for a reduced renewal price. Another thing I have learned about XM is that they can royally screw things up on the credit cards by continued billing after cancellations, incorrect billing amounts. etc.

What is interesting is that much of what you can do is based on the initiative the particular operator that answers your call.

The first operator asked what she could do for me. I explained that my renewal was ending and I wanted to talk about the pricing. She quoted me prices that were higher than the numbers on the latest mailing. I told here that they were too high and asked if there was a better deal or a promotion. She stated a simple ..."no, that's the best I can do". When I said that I couldn't afford that amount and that I was thinking of cancelling, she just said..."if you want to cancel, just don't do anything and your account will cancel on its own". Geesh, not much marketing going on there. I thanked her and hung up.

I called right back on the same number and got a different operator. Same routine...trial expiring, renewal, too costly, etc. She was giving me most of the same spiel, but when I asked about promotions, she said..."I can't offer you one, but if you know of one, you can ask me about it". WTF?! So, I say..."so if I ask about $77 a year you can then give it to me?" Yep. Well, the $77 deal is plus royalty fees and taxes for a total of about $92 per year. She went on to talk about the automatic renewal of the subscription. I asked how it worked and she said it was billed to the credit card on file. So I tell her that I don't have a credit card. She says that they will mail me an invoice. I think there is a $2 fee to have an invoice mailed, but that is cheap insurance if I don't have to go argue with their customer service in India about incorrect billings. All told, this ends up being a half-price deal.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I didn't renew after the 3 months because the reception was poor. I got a lot of drops. I was thinking about taking the $20 for 5 month deal but then I goggled XM Customer service and saw some of the horror stories to that was the straw that broke the camels back. They only sent me 2 letters asking to renew. I don't answer 800 or 888 calls to my house so they won't get me on the phone. Going to let the On-Star expire too. Haven't used it once in 7 months

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really thought I would renew the XM once it expired but I didn't. Not even after the $77 deal arrived in letter form. It's been more fun dumping bunches of mp3s to the hard drive and putting it on shuffle.

·
Registered
365 Posts
RNOX said:
I didn't renew after the 3 months because the reception was poor. I got a lot of drops. I was thinking about taking the $20 for 5 month deal but then I goggled XM Customer service and saw some of the horror stories to that was the straw that broke the camels back. They only sent me 2 letters asking to renew. I don't answer 800 or 888 calls to my house so they won't get me on the phone. Going to let the On-Star expire too. Haven't used it once in 7 months
I agree with the crappy reception! The straw that broke the camel's back with me was when they started to play commercials!!!!! I cancelled all three subscriptions on the spot!!!! I can get that crap for free on the regular radio. I enjoy buying MP3s and loading them onto a flash drive. No commercials and I get to listen to what I want. XM and Onstar are overpricing themselves to death. Onstar is so on the ropes that they had to offer a aftermarket mirror with Onstar to attract more subscribers. :D Not much bang for the buck from either service!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
ScarletSpeedstr said:
I really thought I would renew the XM once it expired but I didn't. Not even after the $77 deal arrived in letter form. It's been more fun dumping bunches of mp3s to the hard drive and putting it on shuffle.
That's what we've been doing with ours, too. We have about 1000 songs downloaded on the HDD and the shuffle function works GREAT.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ScarletSpeedstr said:
I was the opposite...at first I thought it would be worthless and that I would never use it. The more I listened to it, the more I liked it. My son loves it too. For me, three months was enough to get hooked on it. With that being said, if I couldn't get a better deal than what they offered me, I would have let it expire.

I should play with the MP3's more often, but most of my driving is short trips. Because of that I listen to local stations during drive times and XM on evenings and weekends.

I am still on the fence about Onstar. My last car had it and I was okay with the $16 per month charge for the piece of mind stuff...emergency response, stolen car tracking, door unlock. I never had to use them, but I liked having them. Mine got disconnected because I had an analog unit and they quit being supported starting in 2008. I dealt with not having it for over two years and I obviously didn't suffer from it. I will see if they will offer a better deal, otherwise, I will have some useless buttons on my mirror.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Meh, we got ours for $62 total, so its not that bad. We have about 9 radio stations in our town so its a decent upgrade especially for traveling.

·
Registered
300 Posts
jstpsntym said:
My three month trial was coming up on 2/10. I had already gotten two mailings from them asking me to renew. Based on multiple car forums (including this one), I felt that I had enough ammo to bargain for a reduced renewal price. Another thing I have learned about XM is that they can royally screw things up on the credit cards by continued billing after cancellations, incorrect billing amounts. etc.

What is interesting is that much of what you can do is based on the initiative the particular operator that answers your call.

The first operator asked what she could do for me. I explained that my renewal was ending and I wanted to talk about the pricing. She quoted me prices that were higher than the numbers on the latest mailing. I told here that they were too high and asked if there was a better deal or a promotion. She stated a simple ..."no, that's the best I can do". When I said that I couldn't afford that amount and that I was thinking of cancelling, she just said..."if you want to cancel, just don't do anything and your account will cancel on its own". Geesh, not much marketing going on there. I thanked her and hung up.

I called right back on the same number and got a different operator. Same routine...trial expiring, renewal, too costly, etc. She was giving me most of the same spiel, but when I asked about promotions, she said..."I can't offer you one, but if you know of one, you can ask me about it". WTF?! So, I say..."so if I ask about $77 a year you can then give it to me?" Yep. Well, the $77 deal is plus royalty fees and taxes for a total of about $92 per year. She went on to talk about the automatic renewal of the subscription. I asked how it worked and she said it was billed to the credit card on file. So I tell her that I don't have a credit card. She says that they will mail me an invoice. I think there is a $2 fee to have an invoice mailed, but that is cheap insurance if I don't have to go argue with their customer service in India about incorrect billings. All told, this ends up being a half-price deal.
The last time I had XM radio I had a problem with them when my subscription expired, they kept billing my credit card and I finally called my credit card company and put the charges in dispute. XM finally gave up. Now I have a AAA Visa through Bank America and they have a feature called shop safe which I use for all online shopping and with companies like XM.

·
Registered
365 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Meh, we got ours for $62 total, so its not that bad. We have about 9 radio stations in our town so its a decent upgrade especially for traveling.
How did you get that deal?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Our XM expired after a year of paying for it ($99 CDN + GST or HST, can't remember, for the year), as did our credit card #, but we still get all the stations.
I'm going to wait a while and see if they contact us.
I think we'll keep it even though we have an iPOD (I think its 8GB) and a ton of tunes on the HDD.
Just curious to see what they'll TRY to charge us LOL!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
fireman591 said:
How did you get that deal?
My wife called one day after we got a letter for the $77/year deal. She said that it said $57 and we got it for that. Literally, we just made up the price and they agreed. It was really funny.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I like the XM and renewed on the 5 month plan for $20. I'll reconsider when that expires.

·
Registered
468 Posts
gearhead said:
Our XM expired after a year of paying for it ($99 CDN + GST or HST, can't remember, for the year), as did our credit card #, but we still get all the stations.
I'm going to wait a while and see if they contact us.
I think we'll keep it even though we have an iPOD (I think its 8GB) and a ton of tunes on the HDD.
Just curious to see what they'll TRY to charge us LOL!
it will work for a little longer then they will cut you off. every now and again they will randomly let you enjoy xm again for a few days to get you listening again and then they cut you off again after that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I didn't hear about the $20 deal, I just called and told them $150 for a year was way too much (which it is). After they connected me with a manager I just negotiated until he finally came out and offered it. He also said they've been running that deal for a year and a half and didn't think it was going away anytime soon.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I unfortunately, do not have XM in the Terrain....but I do have it in my house..love it, as we only have a couple radio stations in our area...so aside from listening to stuff online, I decided to get XM several years back. I just renewed at the beginning of February...wish I had got that deal mentioned above. I did however get the "fee" reduced to $10 a month, plus HST, (and NO Royalty fee) with a one year "contract.....

They did throw in On Line access for free though so I can listen to XM on my computer as I "surf"..

Next year, I'll bargain harder!!!!!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just got one year for $76.00 ;D
I asked about the true price of the $77.00 offer. They stated it was $86.00. I told them to sign me up but I wanted to pay by check. They stated that it was $2.00 to invoice for a check. I asked why it cost so much to mail out a bill and if it was coming from India. They then offered a $10.00 credit if I used a credit card. So to sum up I got the $86.00 offer with $10.00 off for a grand total of $76.00 for a year ;D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
cottonseed said:
it will work for a little longer then they will cut you off. every now and again they will randomly let you enjoy xm again for a few days to get you listening again and then they cut you off again after that.
It will be fun to renegotiate and see what they offer.
We really don't use it but a few times a month.
It's a matter of convenience for the occasional long tripand just having the extra option I guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got the 77 letter (even though my trial didn't end yet. I'm on the fence, but mostly because of my wife. I am alone in the car most of the time and am content with audiobooks and podcasts on my iPhone. The wife however hates both and loves the 80's and 90's stations (which I prefer if I HAVE to listen to music) I may call and see what I can negotiate.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I really like the 90s station and the virus station or whatever the talk station with opie and Anthony is. I'm going to ditch my iPod in the truck and just get xm :) I'll still keep a USB stick handy though :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts