GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I bought my 2011 Equinox LS in March 2011. It was late in the month so we didn't have any more snow storms once I owned the car. Well, fast forward to today and the Northeast is getting hit with a ridiculously early snow storm. Most of the time I was driving around today there was no XM signal or it would cut in and out a lot. I was driving through areas I know there usually isn't a signal problem so I can only assume that this situation is related to the weather.

Is this something that I have to look forward to all winter long? I was thinking maybe too much snow was piled up on the XM antenna but then I realized I don't know where that is. Does XM go through the big antenna on the back or somewhere else? It is going to be a long winter of driving around if every time it snows I lose my signal. I am quite addicted to XM now (despite only having it since March) and rarely have signal problems so this is a bit disappointing.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm just guessing but I believe the wet heavy snow coming down is what is blocking your signal. Snow on the antenna won't matter. How do I know this. I have XM in my class A motorhome and I have the antenna dual sided taped to the inside of the fiberglass front cap without a signal problem. So if the signal can go through the fiberglass cap it sure can go through the snow on your roof.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think any satellite signal (for any app) potentialy can be affected by heavy weather .

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would have to agree with Terra-Nox that it is likely that this could be affected by weather. I would recommend contacting your local dealer if this continues once the weather weakens. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the helpful replies. I reached the same conclusion as all of you guys the next day when it stopped snowing yet there was still snow all over my car. The signal was fine so I guess the interruptions were just because of the weather. I really wish this weren't the case because I live for my XM Radio in the car. It is going to be a miserable winter without it every time it snows. I've had the car since March and hadn't touched the terrestrial radio once until this snowy incident. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to even make the regular radio work. :-[ Even then I could barely remember what stations I used to listen to. I am totally spoiled by XM!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts