GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question?

Can a Canadian bought Equinox with the XM radio subscribe to a US XMSirius account. Will the Canadian XM radio physically take a US subscription signal that is XMSirius

I'm a Canadian, but also have access to a US address...in fact I used to have a Sirius (US) subscription.

Remember here in Canada XM is still XM and Sirius is still Sirius, The US is all one now.

I imagine the US XM/Sirius would have 1. more selection since it's the best off both. 2. US subscriptions are cheaper. 3. XM/Sirius as part of their merger agreement had to come out with less expensive "light" packages. I believe here in Canada the cheapest package you can get (which is the whole channel lineup) is $15/month + 13% sales taxes.

Has any Canadian tried to subscribe to the US XMSirius?

·
Registered
306 Posts
They are not one in the US. They have merged and are now owned by the same company, however, you don't just have one of them to pick from. I have a lifetime subscription to Sirius and my new Terrain has XM which I need to get a subscription for when my 3 month trial period is over.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, well in Canada the cheapest subscription is (basically everything) at $14.95/month + 13% HST = $16.89/month

In the US I can get the "Mostly Music" for $9.95/month....+ an average exchange rate of between par and 5% which brings me to no more than $10.50/month CDN.

Also in the US, XM has a plan "XM Everything plus the best of Sirius" That way you get Howard Stern, MLB, Hockey, Nascar...the best of both worlds.

Has anyone with a Canadian purchased Equinox tried to subscribe their XM radio to the US subscription and it worked...or is there some kind of software update they can do to switch it over. I can't imagine they build 2 different radios, one for Canada and one for the US?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't know anything about hooking up a Canadian radio to a US service plan but I'm sure that when I drive a Canadian vehicle w/ a Canadian radio into the States the radio keeps working so the broadcast systems would be the same.

XM Canada just mailed us an offer for a lifetime subscription package (as long as we own the vehicle) for $550.
Depending on how long you plan to keep your vehicle, this could work out to be a very good deal if you can get them to offer it to you.

·
Registered
977 Posts
GMCdriver said:
I don't know anything about hooking up a Canadian radio to a US service plan but I'm sure that when I drive a Canadian vehicle w/ a Canadian radio into the States the radio keeps working so the broadcast systems would be the same.

XM Canada just mailed us an offer for a lifetime subscription package (as long as we own the vehicle) for $550.
Depending on how long you plan to keep your vehicle, this could work out to be a very good deal if you can get them to offer it to you.
The only thing I worry about with the lifetime subscription is if they go under (bankrutpcy). XM/Siruus was very close to it last year. They have some major debt

·
Registered
297 Posts
RNOX said:
The only thing I worry about with the lifetime subscription is if they go under (bankrutpcy). XM/Siruus was very close to it last year. They have some major debt
I do worry about that a little bit, too. But, if I can get a good deal on the Lifetime Subscription for the XM Everything/Best of Sirius, NavTraffic, and NavWeather...I might go for it. We plan on keeping our 'Nox for quite awhile, so if XM/Sirius stay afloat, I think we'll get our money's worth in the long run.

·
Registered
977 Posts
TheCrow1994 said:
I do worry about that a little bit, too. But, if I can get a good deal on the Lifetime Subscription for the XM Everything/Best of Sirius, NavTraffic, and NavWeather...I might go for it. We plan on keeping our 'Nox for quite awhile, so if XM/Sirius stay afloat, I think we'll get our money's worth in the long run.
I'm debating on renewing after the trial. I lose the signal quite often near me. Any little hill kills the XM signal. I don't have these problems with AM or FM. My Kids like the Kids station

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, now that I offially have my Nox let me ask the question again.

You guys down in the US, when you subscribe to XM Radio and give them your radio ID. Is your subscription account still the old XM channels or does your bill say XM/Sirius (from the merger) and you're now getting the stations from the new XM/Sirius combination???

Or to put it even easier to determine. On your "XM Radio" in your GM vehicle are you now getting Howard Stern 100/101....if you get Stern then you're getting a subcription and the associated channels from the new XM/Sirius.

The reason I ask is here in Canada there is still independant XM radio and Sirius radio. The vehicles have XM radios. I want Sirius...or more so, I want Stern and am thinking to just use a US address, give them my radio ID and Voila!

I have a 2011 model, does anybody know if the 2011 radios have the chips to recieve both XM/Sirius...they must since XM/Sirius is all one now in the US and 9 out of 10 equinox's go to the US market.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Its an XM system. Cant get Sirius on it. You would have to change your radio. You cant switch back and forth.

·
Registered
64 Posts
mmarges said:
Question?

Can a Canadian bought Equinox with the XM radio subscribe to a US XMSirius account. Will the Canadian XM radio physically take a US subscription signal that is XMSirius

I'm a Canadian, but also have access to a US address...in fact I used to have a Sirius (US) subscription.

Remember here in Canada XM is still XM and Sirius is still Sirius, The US is all one now.

I imagine the US XM/Sirius would have 1. more selection since it's the best off both. 2. US subscriptions are cheaper. 3. XM/Sirius as part of their merger agreement had to come out with less expensive "light" packages. I believe here in Canada the cheapest package you can get (which is the whole channel lineup) is $15/month + 13% sales taxes.

Has any Canadian tried to subscribe to the US XMSirius?
For good info on this topic read some of the XM posts on the Chevy Avalanche Forum and the GM-Trucks Forum. Lots of good info that may assist you.

I live in both and kept my XM US subscription as they offerred the "Winback" promo $77/year for everything but best of Sirius

·
Registered
64 Posts
mmarges said:
Ok, now that I offially have my Nox let me ask the question again.

You guys down in the US, when you subscribe to XM Radio and give them your radio ID. Is your subscription account still the old XM channels or does your bill say XM/Sirius (from the merger) and you're now getting the stations from the new XM/Sirius combination???

Or to put it even easier to determine. On your "XM Radio" in your GM vehicle are you now getting Howard Stern 100/101....if you get Stern then you're getting a subcription and the associated channels from the new XM/Sirius.

The reason I ask is here in Canada there is still independant XM radio and Sirius radio. The vehicles have XM radios. I want Sirius...or more so, I want Stern and am thinking to just use a US address, give them my radio ID and Voila!

I have a 2011 model, does anybody know if the 2011 radios have the chips to recieve both XM/Sirius...they must since XM/Sirius is all one now in the US and 9 out of 10 equinox's go to the US market.
Did you guys see today they announced the XM/Sirius merger is happening in Canada?

So hopefully they copy the USA programming that allows some of Sirius on the XM programming.

I had the "Best of Sirius" package and liked it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would be cool. A best of serius package on your XM subscription. Hopefully they include Stern in that package.

The conditions for me to get satalite radio are.

1. They give me a special offer in the $7/month price range for the first year or so (I know people that got this deal)
2. You can get a Sirius channels package. Hopefully this CDN merger announcement will make this happen
3. The most important...Stern re-signs!....no Stern, no chance of me subscribing, period ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts