GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........you could hit a button to trun off the Nav/radio display without having to go into the config screens.

Also, if you could replace the GMC logo screen with a downloaded pic of your choice.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I second that.... I would love to change my nav screen to a pic of my choice. Maybe GTPprix has a clue on how to do this... After all they say he is the official 'hacker' on here.... ;)[/color]

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think people are giving GTPprix too much credit. Yea some things he figured out may be neat but he done nothing above and beyond then unlocking screens on the DIC and move that info to dif pages.

·
Registered
157 Posts
cottonseed said:
I think people are giving GTPprix too much credit. Yea some things he figured out may be neat but he done nothing above and beyond then unlocking screens on the DIC and move that info to dif pages.
I believe he worked on the retrofit of German made Buick Regals with factory style (OEM) remote start which is not available from the factory. Also some technology packages for the Regal involving the DIC and windows. A lot of this probably translates to the Terrain/Equinox due to very similar engine/vehicle control systems.

·
Registered
698 Posts
cottonseed said:
:mad: ???

I like give credit to those who have skills or know how to do things that I don't or can't. Kudos to GTPprix for at least detailing his efforts, on this forum.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well... do it if you can ! GTPPrix is very good and as far as i know nobody else was able to do so.

cottonseed said:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm confussed (not hard to do) can't you press the power button? That turns off my nav/radio screen. Or are you talking about turning off the "GMC" logo screen? :beer:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
GARYD said:
I'm confussed (not hard to do) can't you press the power button? That turns off my nav/radio screen. Or are you talking about turning off the "GMC" logo screen? :beer:
I think he means shut off the nav screen & make the GMC screen (the one that 1st comes on when you start the vehicle) to become a personalized pic of your choice. . . Correct me if im wrong.... ;)[/color]

·
Registered
20 Posts
That doesn't change the fact that your original comment came off as being unnecessarily negative and smart-assed. GTPPrix has done a few neat things with the computer, and many people give him props for it, regardless of how simple you feel it is.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Black Rain said:
That doesn't change the fact that your original comment came off as being unnecessarily negative and smart-assed. GTPPrix has done a few neat things with the computer, and many people give him props for it, regardless of how simple you feel it is.
+1... the comment was totally uncalled for & I did not mean to start a debate like what is going on in this thread by making a comment about GTPprix.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i for one think it would be nice if gtpprix would post price quote on what he can do and turn around times. i find it somewhat anti-climactic to see what he can do without knowing either how to do it or what it would cost. when he does post he always says he can do great things but then says how busy he is...i don't really care, don't get me wrong. but i don't understand why he bothers to post. maybe he can explain better what is trying to do...

i am especially interested in the one where you hold down the unlock button and all 4 windows go down. i used to have that on both of my last 2 cars.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I hope Chris (GTPprix) corrects me where I am incorrect with the following...

But my understanding of "Global A" from back before we even bought our NOX is:

Any VCI programming requires direct downloading to the vehicle with all other modules in place...in other words I think that removing a BCM and changing the RPO coding and reinstalling it can leave "other modules" out of the loop and create incomplete programming. That may depend on what is being programmed...but it may also explain why certain "services" by those with a VCI can't be offered to Global A customers unless the VCI "owner" was able to actually "plug into your NOX/Terrain...or send a VCI program to GMC/Chevy or a dealer who has the MDI tool and Service Programming System (SPS) on the TIS terminal and/or MDI tool and GDS software...

Also...If the BCM is being reprogrammed, Dealers use the lastest software available on TIS2Web.

Additionally from GM Techlink...involving "Seed & Key"...

There are a number of security methods in operation in the vehicles built using the Global A electrical architecture, which include the 2010 Camaro, LaCrosse, Equinox, Terrain and SRX. Each method has a specific role. The following definitions are intended to provide an overview of these methods.

Security Code

The purpose of the security code is to protect the vehicle's security information against tampering.

The security code is a random code, unique to each vehicle, generated at the vehicle assembly plant. The assembly plant stores the security code and the corresponding VIN for each vehicle. A correct security code match is required to allow specific vehicle theft deterrent functions to be performed. An example of this function is the learning of new key fobs to the vehicle.

Environmental ID

The purpose of the Environmental ID is to increase the time and complexity involved in attempting a vehicle theft by swapping control modules.

The Vehicle Theft Deterrent Feature provides the capability to detect if modules have been substituted, indicating a potential theft situation, and will not allow continued running of the engine in that case. The Immobilizer Master (BCM) identifies itself to the Vehicle Identification Devices (IPC, HVAC, BCM, ECM, SDM and SCLCM - if equipped). If the Immobilizer Master is recognized as correct, the Vehicle Identification Devices respond with specific environment identification.

The Immobilizer Master is required to receive a certain number of correct environment identifications in order to authorize the powertrain control module to allow normal engine operation. If the correct number is not received, even after retry, engine pre-release will expire and the engine will start, and then stall. The Security MIL and/or Driver Information Center will display an indication when the Vehicle Environment Identification check has not been successful.

Seed and Key

The purpose of Seed and Key is to protect certain control modules from unauthorized reprogramming when they are outside of the assembly plant environment.

Each control module that implements Seed and Key is manufactured with a unique seed value and a corresponding key value stored in memory. The seed is a value that is reported to a reprogramming tool. The reprogramming tool must know the matching key value to unlock the control module so that it can be programmed. The reprogramming tool then sends the matching key to the control module. If the key sent from the tool matches the key contained in the control module, then the tool is granted access to reprogram the control module or to send commands to put it in a re-learn mode for Vehicle Theft Deterrent.

There is no way to read the key value out of a control module. Secured functions can be performed only after successfully determining the key and sending it to the control module. If two incorrect keys are sent, the control module will not respond to another request for seed within 10 seconds. In addition, a control module will not respond to a request for seed within 10 seconds of the ignition turned on.

TIP: Importantly, seed and key and security code are not the same, and serve different purposes.

Security Components

These modules involved in vehicle security are shown in the accompanying schematic
· Body Control Module (BCM)

· Engine Control Module (ECM)

· Instrument Panel Control Module (IPC)

· Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Module (HVAC)

· Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)

· Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)

· Steering Column Lock Control Module (SCLCM)

Radio

Although the radio is not part of the vehicle theft prevention system, the radio does have its own theft protection. The radio theft deterrent system is intended to disable or limit radio functionality if incorrect vehicle information is received by the radio.

The radio disables functionality if the VIN information received by the radio does not match the VIN information that has been learned by the radio. A possible cause of incorrect VIN information could be that the radio was originally installed in another vehicle. The radio in Global A vehicles cannot be swapped due to the inability to alter the VIN in a radio once it has been learned.

[/color]

Now if Chris can find a way to program certain or any feature into a BCM with it removed from the vehicle...

or...

If GMC/Chevy would pay Chris for his programming and offer it to the public under the following program which has been available through GMC/Chevy since 2008...again from Techlink:

Pay for VCI

Increasingly, vehicle buyers want to personalize or modify their vehicles. This can be accomplished several different ways, depending on what the owner wants to add.

One way is to purchase a kit from GM Accessories that changes the appearance or function of the vehicle. Examples include a roof rack, chrome wheel package or a two way remote start kit. Some of these kits are a straight bolt-on, and some need a software calibration changed to complete the installation.

Another alternative is to add a factory offered OEM option to the vehicle that it was not produced with. Often, these items are not offered by GM Accessories and need to be purchased as service parts. Examples include fog lights, an axle ratio change or a speed governor. Many times these items need the corresponding software to complete the installation.

Some of these reconfigurations are possible; others are not.

Over the past several months, the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) has received an increasing number of calls related to adding OEM factory options to a vehicle.

Before making a change to a vehicle, call TCSC at 1.800.XXX.XXXX (English) or 1.800.XXX.XXXX(French) to verify if your request can be supported. These types of modifications and support fall outside the normal support role of TCSC. To support these vehicle changes, Techline will bill the dealer's open account $50 USD per modification. This charge applies only to vehicles being reconfigured from their original build, and not part of a GM Accessories kit or normal programming support.
[/color]

However...in order for Chris to get paid for his expertise...GMC/Chevy would have to realize a profit from sales generated by changes in programming...

and IMHO...that would require the interest of a significant number of us owners...

or...

We all drive up to Chris's front doorstep with keys in hand and Nox's / Terrains in his front yard

or...

You pay Chris for a round trip ticket (first class of course) to fly him and his equipment and meet him at your local airport with your NOX / Terrain...reprogram in the parking lot...then take him to lunch or dinner depending on the time zone...then write him a check for the Service fee...

:hilarious: :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
WHEWWWWWW................. I got to go back to school, I didn't understand a single thing above. :facepalm: :beer: ;D

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
We all drive up to Chris's front doorstep with keys in hand and Nox's / Terrains in his front yard

or...

You pay Chris for a round trip ticket (first class of course) to fly him and his equipment and meet him at your local airport with your NOX / Terrain...reprogram in the parking lot...then take him to lunch or dinner depending on the time zone...then write him a check for the Service fee...

:hilarious: :hilarious:
Not sure why you consider the 2nd option "hilarious" - I would think it would be cheaper that Option 1 for most of us. However, in reading about Chris on other forums, seems like he operates his business by having people mail in "car computers", so he must have it figured out, but maybe not for global A vehicles.

·
Registered
978 Posts
RIT333 said:
Not sure why you consider the 2nd option "hilarious" - I would think it would be cheaper that Option 1 for most of us. However, in reading about Chris on other forums, seems like he operates his business by having people mail in "car computers", so he must have it figured out, but maybe not for global A vehicles.
Actually...if you recheck my post...that was a third option...

and the "hilarious" icons weren't related to just the third option...it was just an attempt to be a tad lighthearted at the end of a very long post...sorry you got confused by my apparent misplaced humor.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Oh I am quite sure he has Global A figured out...

The question is if it can be done "out of the vehicle"

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
Actually...if you recheck my post...that was a third option...

and the "hilarious" icons weren't related to just the third option...it was just an attempt to be a tad lighthearted at the end of a very long post...sorry you got confused by my apparent misplaced humor.
My bad - I have a tuff time counting above 2 on Mondays.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts