GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day! After spending all of this week browsing this forum and thinking I was going to trade for a Terrain, we went car shopping today. We went to our dealer that sold us DH's Acadia and I was honestly shocked. He wanted sticker and only padded our trade allowance by a few hundred dollars to justify it. We walked. DH got on the cell and we started calling around to other dealers to see what they had in stock. Ending up speaking with someone from a dealer about 30 miles away. He had no Terrains, but said to stop by and talk to him, so we did. He found us a Terrain like we wanted, gave me a reasonable trade allowance and showed us their "dealer invoice". Now, I know that's not the actual invoice that they will pay for the car, but I feel pleased enough to pay that for the car. He totaled everything out, negative equity and all, and I was a little unhappy with the final deal. We had him search for other Terrains without NAV to bring the cost down. While doing so, he asked if we were set on a Terrain. I said for the most part, but what do you have in mind? He said he had an Equinox LTZ on the lot that he had gotten in from another dealer and he'd make me a good deal. I went and took a look and it was a no brainer! I did think to ask to drive it first! LOL So, DH and I take off in the Nox and loved it. So, DH decides that he thinks he can trade his Acadia, which is really more vehicle than we need, and take advantage of the fuel efficiency of another Nox..... so, the dealer locates him an LTZ, calculates his trade and makes us another good deal.

Sooooooo, hopefully tomorrow we will be driving home in our TWO new Nox LTZ's!!!

Want to thank everyone on this forum for all the wonderful posts that made us comfortable in this decision!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Dayum, two! Congrats and good luck!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congratulations...and don't forget to post some pictures of the New Wheels........... ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Congrats!!!

Happy motoring :)

OnxBear[/color]

·
Registered
978 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS !!!

The first thought running through my mind when I read the thread title were...

Hmmm...vanity plate ideas ;D

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
My first thought was:

Woo Hoo ! They just spent more in one car purchase than I've spent in my LIFE on all my 6 vehicles!

'80 Plymouth Champ: $2,700 (used, automatic)
'80 Dodge Colt: $500 (auction ... had help ... 4 spd, was probably worth $1500)
'89 Plymouth Colt: $5,800 (new, 4 spd ... became 5 speed)
'97 Taurus Wagon: $15,500 (new)
'02 Chevy Impala: $12,200 (new)
'11 Equinox 1LT: $20,700 (new)
--------
$57,400 (total)

But I wish you all the best with BOTH of them. You'll certainly have a lot more fun with them than I did with my pedestrian line-up! :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
A Champ and two Colts...is that where your username comes from? :D

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Absolutely! Some people probably think my 'handle' has to do with guns, but it doesn't. It's a tribute to my $5800 Dodge Colt which I drove all over New England and parts of the South for 13 years and 250,000+ miles (30,000 miles per year 3 times!). It only had a 1.5L 90 HP engine, but it went everywhere, anytime, in any weather, without fail. It even "outran" an unmarked Crown Vic Police car coming out of Boston in '92 (earning a $500 speeding ticket that was later thrown out on my cross examination - but that's a L-O-N-G story).

The Champ was the forerunner that was also incredibly reliable and actually encouraged me to buy the '89 Colt new. It got taken out by a guy in an MG at a busy 4-way intersection during a noonday flash flood, toppling a traffic light in it's path. Made me very sad, but I got the 2nd '80 Colt as a quick replacement from the auction and bridge to the '89 purchase. All three of these vehicles were Japanese (Mitsubishi), wholly imported from Japan and sold as the Colt, Mirage, and Eagle Summit (for a while). Eventually Dodge replaced the Colt with the Neon, Eagle's demise took out the Summit, but the Mirage lived on into the early 2000's before Mitsubishi replaced it with the Lancer.

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Colt Hero said:
It even "outran" an unmarked Crown Vic Police car coming out of Boston in '92 (earning a $500 speeding ticket that was later thrown out on my cross examination - but that's a L-O-N-G story).
We have time. BRING IT! :D

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I put "outran" in quotes because, of course, I was NEVER going to outrun an 8-cylinder high-output Crown Vic police cruiser with my '89 1.5L 90 hp Colt, but anyway ... It was January 1992, I was coming out of Boston at 2am on Rt. 24 South (off the I-93 beltway, if you're familiar with the area). For whatever reason, I don't remember - maybe I passed someone way back and never moved over?, I was traveling in the left-most lane of a 3-lane highway with NOBODY around for miles listening to Bruce Williams on TalkNet (anybody remember him ... don't know if he's still with us, but his radio shows were very interesting to listen to) when suddenly (seemingly out of nowhere) this car appeared in the center lane RIGHT ON my rear quarter panel (and right in my blind spot, since my Colt did not come with a passenger-side mirror)! Also unable to see clearly out my REAR window due to an accumulation of road sand and a grimy snow mixture (the Colt had no rear wiper, either), my immediate thought was - "this guy might be drunk, he could end up hitting me, and I need to get away from him". Now, I don't remember exactly, but my guess is I was going about 65 mph because the speed limit back then was still 55 on that road and I usually went about 10 over on the Interstates up there. So technically, I was probably speeding, but not grossly. Anyway, to "get away from him" I either sped up slightly or slowed down slightly (I don't remember which was first), but I DO remember doing this speed-up/slow-down cycle SEVERAL times over what turned out to be about a 10-mile stretch (without being able to get this car off my rear-quarter panel) until, in total disgust and frustration, I finally just slammed the pedal to the floor and pegged the speedometer on the Colt. Well, I DID finally manage to get in front of this car well enough to pull into the middle lane ... and that's exactly when the red flashing lights came on. I just couldn't believe it! Not ONCE did the thought enter my mind that this car could've been a police cruiser! Not after doing what it had been doing for THAT long a distance!!! But now that I knew it WAS a cop car, I immediately had that sinking/sickly feeling knowing that I was probably in BIG trouble. Next thing I knew, some 50-something-year-old State Police Sargeant from the Brockton barracks was pointing a flashlight in my face telling me to get out of my car.

To be continued ...

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
tell us more...

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
OK ... Let's see ... where was I ... Oh - that's right .... the flashlight in the face. Well ... this sargeant was an imposing fellow ... yes he was! Probably 6-3, big-bodied guy, mean-looking face. My recollection is not quite clear now, but I'm pretty sure he told me to get out of the car (or I got out of the car myself) - either way, I was out of the car ... something I don't think they train officers to have you do anymore. Anyway, he yells at me, "...I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WERE GOING THAT FAST IN THIS THING !!!". To which I replied, " i can't believe you're a cop". Then he said, "... WHAT WERE YOU DOING IN THE LEFT LANE ALL THAT WAY ...". "i was listening to Bruce Williams on TalkNet", I replied (probably not the answer he was expecting). Well, he did his quick search of my car and, of course, didn't find anything. I don't think he was expecting to find anything because the car was a clean as a whistle without a bottle, can, or loose wrapper inside and I was perfectly coherent (I don't think I had a drop of alcohol that night). So he went back to his cruiser, I got back in my Colt, and waited for the hammer to fall. Didn't take long. He came back to my driver's window and muttered something terse ("Here ya go" ??) as he handed me the ticket. I waited for him to drive off, after which I turned on the dome light and looked for the "total" line: $496. I couldn't believe it! I think I did a double and triple-take. It was something like $300 for speeding, $150 for not keeping to the right, and the rest was either for an expired insurance card or no registration in possession. I think I sat there in the breakdown lane for about 20 minutes more afterwards trying to think about what I could do about this ticket. I didn't know any cops or lawyers who could get it thrown out for me. And I was still in that age window where a ticket like this could absolutley kill me insurance-wise, so I'd have to do SOMETHING. That SOMETHING would turn out to be two rounds in court. My plan would be to shoot for a 10 mph over ticket (65 mph in a 55 mph zone) and pay $100 (or thereabouts). But now looking at the ticket and the manner in which the officer had filled it out started to make me think that I could possibly do better. Maybe not pay anything at all !!

To be continued...

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
You should be an author ! What do you do for a living ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I see a MOVIE in the making here..........

:)

;D ;D

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
RIT333 said:
You should be an author ! What do you do for a living ?
Apparently, I insult people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts