GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a wix air filter for my 2010 nox 4cyl. today . thought i would change the filter its been in for 25000 mi. it didnt fit properly on the angled edge(should be 1/4 in. longer) and could possibly allow unfiltered air in. i'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is the engine air filter. took it back today and got my $27 back. i blew air on the old one and put it back in. i will get one from the dealer when i get a chance. i bet it costs more than the wix!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I know it's the engine air filter. The OEM AIR FILTER is expensive. I have a spare OEM that I got online at a good price.

I bought some cabin filters that were suppose to fit and didn't . The brand fit before (The filter was made in Tiawan). Bought the same filter # and it was to thick (Now made in China). That's how it is sometimes with aftermarket parts. The Wix CABIN FILTERS do fit my Nox (So far).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i probably should check that cabin filter and suffer once at the dealer for both filters if its dirty :(

·
Registered
977 Posts
doug4k said:
i probably should check that cabin filter and suffer once at the dealer for both filters if its dirty :(
The Wix cabin filter will fit. You can get on ebay or other places on-line. . You can get an OEM cabin filter at ROCKAUTO.COM for about $27 plus shipping. Easy to change the cabin filter. The Wix cabin filter is around $19. The engine air filter is $23 for the OEM for the 4 cyl.

·
Registered
365 Posts
For the price of a paper filter I would suggest getting the K & N filter. They have them on ebay for under $50.00 and they pay for themselves in no time. :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally careful about the oiling of the K & N after you clean it.

Chevy has "picked a bone" to chew on with these types of filters and if they can show you over oiled it and contaminated the MAF...they are going to deny warranty coverage on transmission repairs and other drivability associated issues...

PLEASE NOTE TOWARDS THE END OF THE SUMMARY THEY SPECIFICALLY STATE THAT THE USE IN AND OF ITSELF DOES NOT CONSTITUTE WARRANTY INVALIDATION

It is the improper over / under oiling which is the issue

From GM Tech Link

Generally, driveability issues and engine operation conditions can be diagnosed using standard SI procedures, diagnostic tables and diagnostic tools. However, there is the occasional condition that cannot be satisfactorily addressed or corrected this way.

In cases like these, consider whether the vehicle has been equipped with non-OEM components or service parts. Because these aftermarket components were not developed, engineered and tested along with the vehicle they are installed in, they may not perform in the same way as the OEM part that was replaced. Two such cases have recently been identified and are summarized here.

Misfire with No Apparent Cause

A vehicle may illuminate a MIL with DTCs P0300, P0301, P0302 or P0304. The root cause typically cannot be determined. The misfire condition usually occurs with extended idling and may be reduced or eliminated by raising the RPM slightly or inducing an engine load (such as the A/C).

Engineering has determined that aftermarket parts (such as a light-weight aluminum flywheel or accessory belt drive pulleys) can contribute to this issue. Whenever any portion of the rotating assembly is changed to an aftermarket component, there is a potential for this condition. When diagnosing a misfire DTC and no condition can be found following SI procedures, inspect for installed aftermarket components.

Driveability Issues Related to Aftermarket Air Filters

Bulletin #04-07-30-013B addresses driveablilty issues in all GM cars and trucks. Some owners may install an aftermarket reusable air filter into their vehicle and then experience driveability issues, automatic transmission shift issues and/or an illuminated SES light.

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the following conditions may occur.

- Service Engine Soon (SES) light on

- Transmission shift conditions, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

- Engine driveability conditions, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

To verify the condition, compare the MAF GPS reading with the reading of a like vehicle that has an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions.

If a vehicle is encountered with these conditions, check for a reusable aftermarket over-oiled air filter. If an aftermarket reusable air filter is used, inspect the MAF sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil before making any warranty repairs.

DO NOT repair MAF sensors under warranty if concerns result from the use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket reusable air filter.

TIP: The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty.

TIP: Transmission or engine driveability concerns (related to the MAF sensor being contaminated with oil) that are the result of the use of an aftermarket reusable, over-oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

The other extreme is the UNDER-oiled air filter, which can also cause driveability concerns. The typical oiled aftermarket air filter requires cleaning and re-oiling at regular intervals to maintain optimum filtering. Failure to do so eventually allows fine debris to pass through the filter. A buildup of debris on the MAF sensor reduces the sensor's ability to correctly detect airflow, leading to driveability concerns.
[/color]

·
Registered
977 Posts
Won't void the warranty but if you have a K&N in there and they fing the MAF coated with oil your probably going to pay for that repair. My dealer would charge you $150 just to diagnose if they don't get the work :eek:

·
Registered
365 Posts
You can always throw in the stock filter if a maf issue arrives and you need warranty work ;D

·
Registered
977 Posts
If they see that the MAF is coated with oil the MAY not honor the repair under warranty. It's kinda up to the dealer or you may have to battle with GM. I'd rather use a regular filter than maybe having waste my time bringing my car to the dealer and maybe having to pay for a repair that I could aviod. I've used K&N in my VUE noticed no improvements and never reused it as I have heard of these problems and read the TSM from GM. This is a personal choice

·
Registered
55 Posts
In Cabin Air Filter

doug4k said:
Talking of cabin air filters, Is there any where one can purchase a reusable filter such as an K&N ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: In Cabin Air Filter

jls1958 said:
Talking of cabin air filters, Is there any where one can purchase a reusable filter such as an K&N ?
You don't want to reuse a cabin filter, because it directly affects air quality inside the vehicle. Usually this gets replaced when you notice a musky/ mildew smell while running the HVAC system. The use of a Carbon Cabin Flter will reduce oders and help minimize the outdoor smell from overwhelming the inside of the vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts