GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Terrain Denali with factory Carplay and want to add a wireless Carplay adapter. I see several for sale and wanted to know if anyone has done this. If so, which brand do you have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the carlinkit 2.0 (U2W model) in my 2018 Terrain and it works great! I was very skeptical and hesitant to buy it, but I finally decided to just give it a shot. Had it about a year now and couldn’t ever go back to not using it. Once you connect the first time, it auto connects every time you start the car, and CarPlay automatically pops up within about 15-20 seconds of starting it. (In the morning, by the time I back out of my parking space and shift back into drive, CarPlay is up and running once the rear camera goes away.) It does have it’s quirks though:

1. There is about a 2-3 second audio delay. The actual touch interface is 1:1 in terms of responsiveness, but the audio does lag behind about 2-3 seconds. It DOES affect phone calls too, but I haven’t had anyone say anything or had it be an issue yet, so not a big deal for me at all. The only time you’ll ever really notice it is while changing songs. You hit next track and can see the screen update instantly, but the old song will keep playing for a few seconds. There are settings on the web interface to change this, but I was never able to fix it. You get used to it after a few days.

2. I‘ve heard horror stories about the OTA updates for these. If you get it and it works out of the box, DO NOT update it, ever. If you do, there is a nice “rollback” feature, but it’s really not worth even the chance of messing something up.

3. This probably wouldn’t affect most, but you connect to it using both WiFi and Bluetooth, so you can’t be connected to any other WiFi devices with your phone. Where this becomes a problem for me is when I need to download or view a video, or change settings on my dash cam (without taking the SD card out). If you try to connect to any other WiFi, it will work for about 10 seconds and then the carlinkit will boot you off and take over again. Easiest way to solve this is just unplug the carlinkit whenever I need to do anything on my dash cam. Again, probably A very niche problem.

That’s really it. If you can live with those few very small nuisances, then get one. Like I said, I could not imagine ever going back!

Side note, I recommend ordering directly from their site and make sure you get the 2.0 version. There are multiple models on Amazon, and they all have different model #’s. To play it safe, their site is going to be the best way to make sure you get the latest model.

Edit: stay away from cplay2air from what I have read/heard. Added a link to the carlinkit I bought down below.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts