GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not checked but is there or auto when u turn wipers on do beam lights go on or do u have to putem on..Also when on Auto the type of day it is including night determines when lights come on??Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yea it the auto lights on..It got dark enough here and i thought when i put wipers on lights came on but no..it got dark enough that the auto lights came on..Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about my Equinox (2010) because the lights seemed to come on any time I turned the wipers on. Today, it was btight out and raining. The lights did not come on with the wipers. I wish they would.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Shouldn't you be able to tell by the fact that the 'headlights on' icon in the tachometer would light up when you turn the wipers on? Or is that a Canadian-vehicle thing?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I turned the wipers on when the light was still good and the auto on display on dash did not light..when it got dark and the wipers were off the auto light came on the dash...

·
Registered
698 Posts
SnowItch said:
I think it is a Canadian thing. I've never noticed it happening with mine (U.S.), but I'll definitely pay close attention tomorrow (its supposed to rain). Hopefully, it will be light enough that the lights don't come on automatically. Add to that the poster who stated earlier that their lights didn't come on when it was bright and raining, leads me to believe it is a Canadian thing.

Now that you mention it, I do believe I remember reading that it is a Canadian law to have headlights on when the windshield wipers are on. Is that true? If so, that may explain why some people have the feature and others don't.
I meant the 'lights on' icon being a Canadian thing. I don't believe there is any law, in Ontario at least, that requires lights to be on with wipers. Canadian vehicles require daytime running lights though - have for years and years. I don't know for the life of me why it isn't mandatory in the US.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in Canada... I just went outside (it's nice and sunny today). I parked the car in front of the garage. I put it in drive and let go of the brake (i'm on a hill so it was not moving). I turned on the windshield wipers to low and about 3 seconds later all lights came on outside (taillights, headlights to full). I had my son look at the back and I could see the change on the garage door with the headlights. My old 2008 Equinox use to do the same thing.

Cheers

·
Registered
698 Posts
SnowItch said:
Interesting. Do you happen to know if there is a different owner's manual for the Canadian versions? If there is, can you check if that feature is documented?

Reason I ask is I'm trying to put together a document on Owner's Manual corrections, omissions and clarifications, and I'd like to include this issue.

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=431.0
FYI Canadian manual is Part No. 25798563 A First Printing. I don't see a mention of this feature anywhere in the manual.

Can you answer my question? "Lamps on reminder. For vehicles with the lamps on reminder light, it comes on when the lights are in use". Do you have a green icon in your tachometer that illuminates when the headlights are on?

·
Registered
36 Posts
BTW - when I turn the wipers on the Green "Lights On" incon turns on... but the Red DIC area does not DIM. When the lights turn on because it is getting dark out the DIC dims a bit and the Nav turns to night mode (I have it set that way). Neither of these happens when the lights activate because of the wipers.

My manual seems to be for both Canada and the US... the front cover has the website for gmc.com (U.S.) and gmc.gm.ca (Canada). But nothing in the manual about this feature that I could find.

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really believe this is something simple the dealer can program. I had the same thing done on my Dodge Magnum, I asked aservice manager and he hooked the computer up and bam was done.

·
Registered
93 Posts
sjhanlon said:
BTW - when I turn the wipers on the Green "Lights On" incon turns on... but the Red DIC area does not DIM. When the lights turn on because it is getting dark out the DIC dims a bit and the Nav turns to night mode (I have it set that way). Neither of these happens when the lights activate because of the wipers.

My manual seems to be for both Canada and the US... the front cover has the website for gmc.com (U.S.) and gmc.gm.ca (Canada). But nothing in the manual about this feature that I could find.

Cheers
Yep, that is correct answer.

I have an SLT-2 and I can tell you the headlights most certainly DO come on when the wipers are turned on (assuming they aren't already on) and the light switch is set to AUTO.

Not only do they come on, the time that it takes for them to come on is determined by what setting (speed) the wipers are set at.

Intermittent Fastest: ~10 sec
Intermittent Medium : ~37 sec
Intermittent Slowest: ~45 sec

Wiper speed low or high: ~10 sec

When the wipers are turned off, the headlights go off almost immediately.

If it isn't dark enough for the headlights to come on normally, once the wipers are started (and the headlights come on) the console lights stay bright. Once it gets dark enough (to where the lights would come on if the wipers were not on), the console lights go dim.

I can make video, but if you try it you will see.

KJ

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cool video!

I tried it here in Ohio earlier this morning and it worked on my Equinox too. That's a nice little feature for those of us that live where it's the law to turn on the headlights when the wipers are on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't believe that they aren't making a bigger deal out of this.
I agree. It's a relatively small thing, but it seems like a good example of GM making an effort to get the little things right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same thing on my SLT-1. The lights come on a few seconds after you turn on the wipers, if you are set to auto, even in bright sunlight. High speed on the wipers makes the lights come on faster versus the low speed or intermittent on the wipers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts