GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I start shopping for winter tires (and wheels, eventually) as the Canadian season approaches. ;D
For tires I'd like to keep it as close as possible with the OEM Michelin brand.
For wheels something basic, nothing special. If are too expensive I could skip them for now.

I checked with my GM dealer and I got the following prices (17’’):

BFG90716 (BFGoodrich) $179.56 * 4 = $718.24 (CAD)
or
M21499 (Michelin) $232.08 * 4 = $928.32 (CAD)
R9598032 (wheel) $80.95 * 4 = $323.80 (CAD)
Installation $69.95 (CAD)

I'm waiting for an estimation from www.1010tires.com and www.tirerack.com.

I'd like to know if there are other options, available for Canada, of course.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Your "per wheel" price sounds excellent. Do you know what kind of wheel it is, (OEM alloy, or a steel wheel). I'd bite for that price. I assume this is for 17ers. Too bad 16s didn't fit. It would be better in the snow. Or do they ?

THX

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RIT333 said:
Your "per wheel" price sounds excellent. Do you know what kind of wheel it is, (OEM alloy, or a steel wheel).
I don't really know. When I asked the salesman (GM dealer parts shop!) he said that is what the computer selected for my ride! ::).

But I'm not so happy for this price. I used to get my winter steel wheels from a used parts shop at $25 (small) and $35 (minivan size). So 80 bucks sounds expensive ;).

RIT333 said:
I assume this is for 17ers. Too bad 16s didn't fit. It would be better in the snow. Or do they ?
Yes, 17''. I don't know is 16'' fits or is better. I don't plan to go skiing with my car, just driving around on paved / asphalt streets in civilized areas ;). And the current "politically correct" trend says that is safer with winter tires, so the honorable gov forces us to spend this amount (1000+) :mad:.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm thinking of considering getting a winter set up from Canadian Tire if they actually have a size that will fit. While I'm sure that Goodyear Nordics may not be the best winter tire, they're probably better than AS tires and are around $135 each. My biggest concern is to protect the factory alloys against salt damage but really hate how vehicles look with plain steel rims in the winter. I'd like to get alloys as well for winter and they start around $115 ea. but may not be avail. in the size and offset required for a new Nox.

I'm hoping to keep it under $1K.

JohnEqui said:
And the current "politically correct" trend says that is safer with winter tires, so the honorable gov forces us to spend this amount (1000+) :mad:.
No one is forcing anyone. At least not yet anyway. ;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I opted for 18" Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 and i found a set of OEM 18" GMC wheels on ebay for 275$ :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2010Nox said:
I'm thinking of considering getting a winter set up from Canadian Tire if they actually have a size that will fit.
I checked these days for wheels and the answer was " Your car is too new!" :eek:

Tires would be anyway.

2010Nox said:
No one is forcing anyone. At least not yet anyway. ;)
Sorry (for me :)), but on this side of the world (Quebec), we are forced.

·
Registered
977 Posts
In NY no requirement for snows. Where I but tires $122 ea for Micheilen Lattitute Ice. $9.95 per balance and taxes (About %10). Guess tires are expensive in Canada. They have 2 Brigestones and a Cooper ($92) for less and a Perrelli for $139.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hi John, is your nox FWD or AWD ?

JohnEqui said:
I checked these days for wheels and the answer was " Your car is too new!" :eek:

Tires would be anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an answer from www.1010tires.com. I asked for an estimation for Michelin 17'' winter tires and some coresponding wheels (all prices in CAD):

"Sport Edition SE-14 wheel for a winter package in 17". Sport Edition is nice for winter because they are not too expensive and they are fully painted which is best for resisting corrosion. They go for $175.99 per wheel. If we paired something like this with a Michelin Latitude Xi2 in 225/65R17, that would be an excellent setup. The tires go for $209.99 per. ...If you place the order before Sept 19th, there is also a 10% off promotion on the wheels and tires which would save you $154.40. Basically if the shipping is $150, the final total to you including tax and the promotion discount is $1677."

So, yes, looks like the GM price of $80 / wheel is really good :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SuperMat64 said:
Hi John, is your nox FWD or AWD ?
FWD. No need for AWD.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes you are right, tires are really expensive here...

A tire you pay 150$ at tirerack we pay it about 260$

RNOX said:
In NY no requirement for snows. Where I but tires $122 ea for Micheilen Lattitute Ice. $9.95 per balance and taxes (About %10). Guess tires are expensive in Canada. They have 2 Brigestones and a Cooper ($92) for less and a Perrelli for $139.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SuperMat64 said:
A tire you pay 150$ at tirerack we pay it about 260$
You forgot to add the $3 (or $4?) for ... the black color :p or something like that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think it is to fill the pockets of some guys who knows some guys that does the job !

JohnEqui said:
You forgot to add the $3 (or $4?) for ... the black color :p or something like that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
JohnEqui said:
Holy **** :eek:

Wouldn't the Que. govt. just be better off assigning a gov't trained driver for everyone and then they can be sure that it's done right and to spec. ::)

I'm really hoping it never gets to this in Manitoba.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2010Nox said:
Wouldn't the Que. govt. just be better off assigning a gov't trained driver for everyone and then they can be sure that it's done right and to spec. ::)
Do you think I'm crazy to get into a car with a "gov't assigned driver" during a snowstorm?!?! ;D

By definition, a "gov't assigned <<whatever>>" is the worst <<whatever>> possible, don't you think? ::)

2010Nox said:
I'm really hoping it never gets to this in Manitoba.
Don't hope too much! This trend is growing each winter season.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I visited MY GM dealer today for a quote on winter rims (plain black steel rims, 17 inch) and they said they are not available..Duh....so I went to the local tire shop (Choice Tire) and they found a a listing for the Terrain (2010) and are charging me $87 a rim, (plain black steel rims, 17 inch) including valves. My almost new Blizzaks from my 2009 Montana Van are the same size as the Terrain, so they will be going on the new rims when they arrive in a few days. Living in the North, and putting up with gawd awful driving conditions 5 or 6 months a year, (for many years) may I suggest for anyone wanting advice on Winter Tires....spend the money now....or pay for a bent fender, or worse, a front end replacement when you slide into a curb on an icy road. IMHO, you can't beat Blizzaks..they are superb in all conditions (except heavy deep drifting snow). For City Drivers, they are also excellent...grip like crazy on icy and slushy roads....The DM-V1's are ideal for SUV's and Cross Overs like our Terrains and Nox's....just remember, to mount them as late as possible in the season, when temperatures are consistently below freezing (they say +5 Celcius or below actually..I think thats around 40 degrees F) ) and take em off in the early Spring when temps hit the +5 Celcius or so...otherwise they wear out very quickly.
A cheaper alternative, especially if you are allowed studs in your tires, are the Firestone/Bridgestone Winterforce tires. They are superb in deep snow, backwoods trails, and even better when studded for all winter road conditions..

Your call....but if you plan on keeping your vehicle for many winters, then go for the best now, and get peace of mind when driving in awful conditions knowing you will get home safely...
:)

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't drive in the snow. My wife and I work from home most days and when it snows business as usual. The schools near me don't open when it snows. Even if I have snow tires I have to worry abouy the other drivers especially the ones with AWD who don't drive safely,

·
Registered
977 Posts
When I look t the banner ad on the forum says GM is giving a $50 debit card if you buy 4 tires. Not sure if this is available in Canada

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RNOX said:
When I look t the banner ad on the forum says GM is giving a $50 debit card if you buy 4 tires. Not sure if this is available in Canada
Here (Quebec) until Sept 30, GM gives a $100 mail rebate for a set of 4 Michelin tires. I received the offer by mail and they have the coupons at the dealer parts shop.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JohnEqui said:
I checked with my GM dealer and I got the following prices (17’’):

M21499 (Michelin) $232.08 * 4 = $928.32 (CAD)
R9598032 (wheel) $80.95 * 4 = $323.80 (CAD)
Installation $69.95 (CAD)
I ordered the above at GM dealer as no better deal. I got them yesterday.
I end up with a 1500$ (CAD) bill (taxes included) and I have a 100$ (CAD) mail rebate - sorry, just for Quebec clients ;D

The wheels are steel (black), so it may not be the best deal ever, but I got them all in one shot and I now who to blame if something is wrong.

They actually wanted to put them on my car ::), but I still wait for a couple of months...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts