GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get an idea of which winter tires to select. The Goodyear "Nordics" or the Michilin Latitide X-ice2

Currently the Nordics (Exclusive to Canadian Tire) are on sale for 25% off. $125 net each. I have an Equinox AWD V6 with the 19" Chrome wheels but the 225/65/17 are recommended for winters. I'll also be mounting these on 17" machined wheels, not those steel things that rust out and look like sh$t.

The Michilin Latitudes will be approx $200ea. however; every fall Michilin has a $100 mail in rebate on a set of 4. bringing the net cost to about $175ea. So, we are comparing Nodics at $125 and X-ice2 at $175.

Can anyone provide feedback on their Nordic and/or X-ice experiences. If you never used either of these please don't post, I'm not considering anything else. In fact I already have a set of Latitude X-Ice2 on my Honda Pilot (which the wife now get's, I take the Equinox). The X-ice are amazing and I'm very pleased however much more pricey and I'm on a bit of a budget this year.

Most reviews I've read say the Nordic's are good in snow but lacking a bit on ice, they're also noisier than others on the highway. I do approx 40k per year and mostly highway driving so a noisy tire could be bothersome. Would you recommend paying the extra $50 bucks per tire and going all out to the premium or are the Nordic's great and will do just fine with very little difference or at least not near $50 worth of difference for the Michilin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I live in Texas, and therefore have no winter tire experience whatsoever. Having said that, I have had some excessive wear issues with Goodyear in the past and nothing but good luck with Michelins. Of course my Goodyear experience was 15+ years ago, so it may not have any bearing on Goodyear in 2010..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
mmarges said:
Just wanted to get an idea of which winter tires to select. The Goodyear "Nordics" or the Michilin Latitide X-ice2

Currently the Nordics (Exclusive to Canadian Tire) are on sale for 25% off. $125 net each. I have an Equinox AWD V6 with the 19" Chrome wheels but the 225/65/17 are recommended for winters. I'll also be mounting these on 17" machined wheels, not those steel things that rust out and look like sh$t.

The Michilin Latitudes will be approx $200ea. however; every fall Michilin has a $100 mail in rebate on a set of 4. bringing the net cost to about $175ea. So, we are comparing Nodics at $125 and X-ice2 at $175.

Can anyone provide feedback on their Nordic and/or X-ice experiences. If you never used either of these please don't post, I'm not considering anything else. In fact I already have a set of Latitude X-Ice2 on my Honda Pilot (which the wife now get's, I take the Equinox). The X-ice are amazing and I'm very pleased however much more pricey and I'm on a bit of a budget this year.

Most reviews I've read say the Nordic's are good in snow but lacking a bit on ice, they're also noisier than others on the highway. I do approx 40k per year and mostly highway driving so a noisy tire could be bothersome. Would you recommend paying the extra $50 bucks per tire and going all out to the premium or are the Nordic's great and will do just fine with very little difference or at least not near $50 worth of difference for the Michilin.

Hi......For Winter Tires ...............Ive experanced what salt does to alum rims.......... not pretty & expensive..........

Putting on the steel rims because a lot less to replace after sliding into curb / or replacing after salt distroyed..... Canadian Tire price $129.00 Dealer Price $80.00........go figure?..........as for tires.................BF Goodrich Winter Slalom® KSI from dealer.............

Being that Quebec made it manatory for snow tires............Just a matter of time before rest of provinces follow suit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
The absolute best winter tire I've ever had was the Nokian WR all weather tire. I have tried all the tires recommended by Consumer Reports and none of then come close to the Nokians in the snow. They are made in Finland so you know they are built for snow. The only drawback is they don't last 100000 miles. I've averaged about 50k on the sets I've had. A couple people at my office bought a set after listening to me and they rave about them also. If I didn't know better I'd think they had studs in them. I have never been stuck in the snow yet. I just checked and they do have 19" tires, so now I have to decide if I will need them since my Terrain is the first all wheel drive vehicle I've ever owned. If it was a front wheel drive I sure would get another set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
I personally opted for Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 in 18" and got a set of OEM GMC 18" Wheels on eBay for the price of a bag of peanuts :p

Blizzak are the best winter tire i ever had... It's like running on asphalt all year long :)
 

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also have another question for the rims.

I upgraded to the factory 19" chrome wheels.

Now I know that there was a change in the wheel size in the 2010 redesign. the size is 5x120mm stud hole pattern for the 17" and 18" wheels. However a tire shop tells me that if you have the OEM 19" wheels upgrade that the size is actually 5x115mm for 2009, 2010 & 2011.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? I know the axle ration is different only for the 19" so I imagine they could also have other different components like a different wheel hub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
No. They are 5X120 no matter 17,18 or 19.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Looking at a set of Hankook W300 ICE BEAR for next winter.
Anyone had experience w/ them..?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
madmack66 said:
Looking at a set of Hankook W300 ICE BEAR for next winter.
Anyone had experience w/ them..?
To me, they looked pretty "meaty". I considered them, but was concerned about the possible noise from that tread pattern. I went with Michelin Lattitude X-Ice 2 and was extremely pleased with their performance, tread wear, and the lack of niose. I hated the thought of having the vault-like quietness of the Equinox ruined for almost half of the year by a noisy snow tire.

Just my personal thoughts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Thanks RIT333..
Hadn't thought about the noise.. Michelin Lattitude X-Ice 2 it is..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hi There,

My first post on this forum.

I have a 2011 SLE-1 AWD with the standard 17s.

I'm looking at some winter tires. So far the consensus has been the Michelin Latitude X-ICE 2s...I've heard some decent reviews for the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows....anyone had any experience with them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I'm gonna go with Michellin, as soon as Costco has the rebates for them. Two questions

1. What about TPMS, do you guys bother getting them installed on the winter rims, or just drive with the warning lights on the whole winter?
2. Did anyone try 16" for winter tires on the fwd models?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
CFRTim said:
I'm gonna go with Michellin, as soon as Costco has the rebates for them. Two questions

1. What about TPMS, do you guys bother getting them installed on the winter rims, or just drive with the warning lights on the whole winter?
2. Did anyone try 16" for winter tires on the fwd models?
I bought OEM 17" rims with the TPMS on EBay. I don't think I would have paid list price for the TPMS, and you can find them on EBay.

I don't think that 16"s will fit. Wish they would - certainly would have been cheaper, and actually better - narrower tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Never had snow tire in my life. I had Nokian all season tires on my front wheel Aztec and never had a problem. Now that I have 4 wheel drive I don't see any reason to get any tire other then the ones that came on the car. Didn't have any problems last winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
jls1958 said:
....
Being that Quebec made it manatory for snow tires............Just a matter of time before rest of provinces follow suit
Personally I don't think they will ever do that in Ontario, too much variation across the province. Not to mention, it wouldn't fly with voters...

When I bought my terrain at the end of Oct. last year, I decided to buy snow tires at the same time, got the xice2s on steel wheels, great tires. Barely noticed a difference in sound when I put the factory Latitudes back on in the spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I put Nokia Hakkapeliitta R's on my Grand Prix and was amazed at the performance! Quiet tire (for a snow tire and rated the same as the Michelin X-ice for noise level), but does make the vehicle feel looser on tight turns due to the soft rubber. Excellent startup grip on ice and turned my car into a snow plow in the deep snow. Great traction on wet and dry roads, in addition to icy/snowy ones. Good rolling resistance so didn't cut my gas mileage much. Bigger $$$ than the Michelins though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Can anyone tell me a GM part number for Steel Rims (17's) for the 2011 Terrrain (SLE-1 AWD)?

I've been told GM doesn't make a steel rim...is this true?

If not, can anyone recommend a good site to purchase some rims?

Thanks,

jd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
A few years ago someone stole my spare tire from my brand new Silverado. No way was I going to buy new replacement set. So I went to a tire dealer and bought a "take off" tire and went to a junk yard and bought a used steel wheel - both priced very nicely.

So give a junk yard a try. I don't think you will find a wheel cheaper then there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
jnsd said:
Can anyone tell me a GM part number for Steel Rims (17's) for the 2011 Terrrain (SLE-1 AWD)?

I've been told GM doesn't make a steel rim...is this true?

If not, can anyone recommend a good site to purchase some rims?

Thanks,

jd
Try GMPartsDirect.com. They have good prices, and you might have to find the steel wheel under the Buick LaCrosse. I think the base model came with steelies.
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Top