GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just figured i'd post up a few pics of my winter setup.
Put the whels/tires on last night and did a few 100km's today with it. Rides nice and handles good for winters.
Really like the look of them though.
17x7.5 Rage wheels
235/65R17 studded Goodyear Nordic winter tires (they are made by goodyear for Canadian Tire only)

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
I like the tires - they look very beefy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CuHead said:
Those wheels look great! did you get them from CT as well?
Discount tire
tires.com
paid around 700$ shipped to my door.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The look awesome. I hope you get to use the heck out of them. Looks like it could be a fun winter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very nice wheels!

I was thinking of just buying some steel rims from Canadian Tire and getting some Nordic tires.

What size rims should I go? 17inch?

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Eagle710 said:
Yep - the smaller the better, but don't think that 16s will clear the calipers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eagle710 said:
Very nice wheels!

I was thinking of just buying some steel rims from Canadian Tire and getting some Nordic tires.

17's are the smallest wheels that clear the calipers on our trucklets. I went with the 235/65R17 instead of the 225's as my wheels were 7.5" wide and it came with 235's on the factory 18's so it moe or less handles like it did with the factory wheels. Plus, what's the harm in a little added clearance in the winter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
alexleblanc said:
17's are the smallest wheels that clear the calipers on our trucklets. I went with the 235/65R17 instead of the 225's as my wheels were 7.5" wide and it came with 235's on the factory 18's so it moe or less handles like it did with the factory wheels. Plus, what's the harm in a little added clearance in the winter.
I went to CT and they said they dont have rims for my make and model in steels only alloys. I will check some other locations this afternoon. Did anyone else have to tell them to use a different model or something in order to get the right rims?

I dont mean to sound like a newbie but what do all those numbers mean 235/65r17?

Also can anyone recommend where to pickup some good winter mats?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Eagle710 said:
I went to CT and they said they dont have rims for my make and model in steels only alloys. I will check some other locations this afternoon. Did anyone else have to tell them to use a different model or something in order to get the right rims?

I dont mean to sound like a newbie but what do all those numbers mean 235/65r17?

Also can anyone recommend where to pickup some good winter mats?
235- width of tread in mm
65- height of sidewall (from tread to rim) in mm
r- simply means "radial"
17- wheel size in inches

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
NoobNox said:
235- width of tread in mm
65- height of sidewall (from tread to rim) in mm
r- simply means "radial"
17- wheel size in inches
Don't think so..

The 235 indicates this tire is 235 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. (not the tread width - which is usually less because most tires cross-sections are oval)

The 65 is the "aspect ratio" it says that the height of the sidewall is 65% of the tire's width (235mm x .65) in this case.

·
Registered
161 Posts
RIT333 said:
Don't think so..

The 235 indicates this tire is 235 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. (not the tread width - which is usually less because most tires cross-sections are oval)

The 65 is the "aspect ratio" it says that the height of the sidewall is 65% of the tire's width (235mm x .65) in this case.
Agree. As I understand it , in the old days tires were basically round in cross section, like a bicycle inner tube, (sort of like motorcycle tires today) so one could add twice the diameter of the tire (which would also be its width) to the rim size and get the effective diameter (less squash due to vehicle weight, of course). As tire design matured and became more of of an irregular cross section, but approximating an oval, aspect ratio was introduced to define the mounting diameter to ground distance expressed as a ratio of its cross sectional theorectical diameter.

Motor cycle tire comment added.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts