GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of fluid yesterday, and was a bit surprised that there was not a warning light somewhere to indicate low fluid level. A lot of cars I have had in the past had warning lights. Certainly not a big deal, I was just a bit surprised with all that my Terrain had that it didn't have that. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jls1958 said:
i got a message on the DIC display...........2010 Equinox LT
Hmmm OK, I must have missed seeing it. Thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Seveniron said:
I ran out of fluid yesterday, and was a bit surprised that there was not a warning light somewhere to indicate low fluid level. A lot of cars I have had in the past had warning lights. Certainly not a big deal, I was just a bit surprised with all that my Terrain had that it didn't have that. :)
We covered this about a year ago this time. End result: We could never determine if it had any indicator anywhere.

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=147.0

KJ

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I ran out too on my 2011 Terrain, no indication on the DIC....

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Me too, Just ran out....no light ...nothing. At first I thought it froze up....just a little squirt came out. So I filled it up ......turned it on ..... lots of fluid....now I know there is no indicator for low fluid....at least on my 2010 Terrain SLT-2.

·
Registered
698 Posts
jls1958 said:
i got a message on the DIC display...........2010 Equinox LT
Hmmmm...... seems you're the only one I've ever heard that got the message. Congrats!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
There IS a warning...of sorts.....that lets you know you are getting low on fluid.........that is, if the rear window washer suddenly no longer sprays fluid on the back window, it means that it is time to top up the windshield washer bottle....

This is because the rear window washer fluid line is HIGHER in the reservoir bottle.....so once the level in the bottle drops below that rear window pick up line, you may still get fluid onto your front windshield , but it will soon be running out of fluid...

If you never use your rear window washer, well.........you are sol for a warning...........

;D ;D

·
Registered
468 Posts
There is no warning on the DIC for that. I ran out plenty of times already.

·
Registered
54 Posts
in the 2010 manual it makes reference to a low washer fluid message even though there is no message. At some point GM must have planned on putting it in, and changed the plan for some reason. I am wondering if the harness at the fluid tank does have signal wires and just not the actual level sensor. Has anyone been able to verify that no programming actually exist in DIC for the message. If the wiring is there then perhaps just installing a float switch in the tank would get us the warning. A part like this is all that would be needed in that case. One problem is the tank is a bear to get to. A float switch can be had from Mouser Electronics for 20 bucks. Even if the harness and DIC are a no go, this would be a doable mod to the vehicle. The addition of some minor wiring and an indicator like an LED would work.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Let's see.......$30k + vehicle = no windshield washer low fluid warning light(possible safety problem as some have stated here recently), but we get an outside temp gauge. Priorities seem to be switched.

·
Registered
482 Posts
GARYD said:
Let's see.......$30k + vehicle = no windshield washer low fluid warning light(possible safety problem as some have stated here recently), but we get an outside temp gauge. Priorities seem to be switched.
Oh no, I need the outside temperature so I can get the ICS POSSIBLE warning, its a safety thing and I know if I've been using the washer it will eventually run out.

Matter of perspective I guess ;)

·
Registered
977 Posts
On my 2003 you could see that one the display they had a warning lamp for low washer fluid but the vehilce had no sensor in the fluid tank., My 2000 LS1 base had a functioning low washer fluid level.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah I just ran out the other night while on a really messy highway where I was using it once every 5-10 minutes... Since no light came on I thought that the nozzles had frozen up because the back still worked for awhile but I'm assuming that was just the fluid left in the line... after the back stopped working I figured it out and had to make a really hazardous cut across 4 lanes of traffic with a messy windshield to get to the side of the highway to fill it up again! wasn't impressed.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Like I said, fluid warning light is more important then a temp gage, at least in robotpeppers situation.

·
Registered
749 Posts
My moms 1996 Ford Explorer has a low washer fluid warning. She has a "Limited" model. The DIC in those days were kind of primitive to what we have now. Only gave information about oil life, vehicle lamps and compass IIRC. Maybe one or two other things. Again. 1996 vehicle. "cough" GM "cough"

·
Registered
830 Posts
WTF with that stupid thing ? I never let my windshield washer go empty, i refill it each time i check the oil level. About 2 times per month.

What's the problem ? You can't check your levels yourself ? You need a light to tell you that you don't have windshield washer fluid anymore ?

Jeez....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SuperMat64 said:
WTF with that stupid thing ? I never let my windshield washer go empty, i refill it each time i check the oil level. About 2 times per month.

What's the problem ? You can't check your levels yourself ? You need a light to tell you that you don't have windshield washer fluid anymore ?

Jeez....
My only comment.....WTF with the rude comment? Oh, and there is a medal in the mail for you....maybe it will help to suppress your patting of yourself on your back!

·
Registered
830 Posts
What is your problem ? Had a bad day ? WTF is simply an expression.

Seveniron said:
My only comment.....WTF with the rude comment? Oh, and there is a medal in the mail for you....maybe it will help to suppress your patting of yourself on your back!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SuperMat64 said:
I never let my windshield washer go empty, i refill it each time i check the oil level. About 2 times per month.

Jeez....
Actually the WTF part was the least of what I took to be offensive. And from the way I read your comment, I kind of assumed that maybe you were the one that had the bad day. Anyway, no matter, let's just forget about it. It's not really worth our time or effort at this point!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts