GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was driving near a gravel truck. The truck hit a bump in the road and dropped some gravel. Crack! The windshield broke. :'( Getting it replaced tomorrow. Cost including tax is $480. Expensive, but not as much as I thought.

·
Registered
118 Posts
call the gravel company , they will put they are not responisble for rocks on the back of their trucks but this happened to a friend and they ended up having to pay for his windshield.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Also, Id call your insurance as well to see if they will reimburse you for your costs as well. Some state laws allow for an insurance company to COMPLETELY pay for the replacement while some only a part of it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
NHOJWOLFE said:
call the gravel company , they will put they are not responisble for rocks on the back of their trucks but this happened to a friend and they ended up having to pay for his windshield.
They will ask you to prove it came off their truck and not off the road. Very hard to get them to pay....Judge judy watcher

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I talked to my wife when she came home from work. Apparently the truck was unmarked. Did not have a company name. Just plain white and she did not get the license plate. Amazing how some of these gravel trucks are able to be on the road dumping half their load on the way to the site. In Germany there are laws about how gravel trucks are loaded. Before leaving with a load they need to have it covered and they hose off the bottom of the trucks to remove any mud and gravel that has stuck to the undercarriage. One can only imagine the aftermath of a stone hitting a winshield a 100+ mph on the autobahn.
Oh well so goes life. Luckily there is no other rock damage. I thought for sure that there would be some paint chipped off the front.

It should be interesting to see how they pry the rearview mirror off the glass and re-attach to the new since it is such a large unit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
NW...man, I'm sorry to hear about this. very very glad tho that no other paint/body damage happend, and $480 seems really cheap for a new OEM windshield installed, BWTFDIK. good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
NWrain said:
My wife was driving near a gravel truck. The truck hit a bump in the road and dropped some gravel. Crack! The windshield broke. :'( Getting it replaced tomorrow. Cost including tax is $480. Expensive, but not as much as I thought.
That's why I carry "full glass coverage", no deductible.

Someone else mentioned cheap for an OEM windshield. I would definitely make sure it's OEM and not an off brand. I had a camaro several years back that Safelite put 2 of their brand windshield's in before I finally insisted on an OEM. The safelite windshield was wavy right in the line of sight.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nw sorry to hear about the misfortune but I am glad it wasnt worse than it was.
Hopefully they get it replaced and get you up and running in no time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the windshield is in. Looks like it's from the factory. They did an awesome job!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Wow! I'd call that expensive. Last windshield I had replaced was only $100. That was only a few years ago. Is there something special about the Terrain windshield?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Narg - I have had many windshields replaced in the past on various vehicles and never has it been $100 unless I was carrying a glass replacement deductible of that amount. The least expensive windshield I ever paid directly for was about $250 installed and that was back in the late 80's.

There is nothing special about the Terrain windshield that is not found in many other modern cars. The cost for the actual glass is not the expensive part. It's the labor.

·
Registered
115 Posts
NWrain said:
So the windshield is in. Looks like it's from the factory. They did an awesome job!
great news!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since the replacement there has been a whistle from the passengers side between about 30 and 45 mph. Very annoying. Not sure what the glass company will be able to do about it other than replacing again which I really don't want to do. Going to call to see if there is a quick fix they can do. Otherwise I guess I'll have to live with it. Ugggg.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, I'm in the same boat now...rock resulting in cracked windshield. Fortunately, I have comprehensive, so I am scheduled for replacement in two days. OEM. hopefully it will be alright. I'll be pissed if I have a **** whistling windshield.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
NWrain said:
Since the replacement there has been a whistle from the passengers side between about 30 and 45 mph. Very annoying. Not sure what the glass company will be able to do about it other than replacing again which I really don't want to do. Going to call to see if there is a quick fix they can do. Otherwise I guess I'll have to live with it. Ugggg.
put some masking tape around the windshield and see if the noise goes away and what side for sure
sounds like they missed some caulking...
Was it repaired outside or in a shop???

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
My brand new (33-day old) 2011 Terrain was struck by metal road debris causing scratches to the hood and a chipped windshield. The hood is being repaired and repainted to include the re-application of the ResistAll paint protectant (30-days after cure) and the replacement of the windshield.

My vehicle is still being repaired but I was told they are using Pilkington auto glass for the replacement of the OEM glass. I have done some research on the Pilkington website and feel comfortable using this vendor's glass. I am not sure if anyone else has used this OE glass before and if any feedback can be provided.

Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
mdh4psu said:
My brand new (33-day old) 2011 Terrain was struck by metal road debris causing scratches to the hood and a chipped windshield. The hood is being repaired and repainted to include the re-application of the ResistAll paint protectant (30-days after cure) and the replacement of the windshield.

My vehicle is still being repaired but I was told they are using Pilkington auto glass for the replacement of the OEM glass. I have done some research on the Pilkington website and feel comfortable using this vendor's glass. I am not sure if anyone else has used this OE glass before and if any feedback can be provided.

Thank you all in advance!
Sorry to hear about your misfortune..I'd check the windshield before they installed it and see if it has the same labels on it that the old one has IE: GM Acustic etc
BTW where does your tonneu cover go on?

·
Registered
635 Posts
He probably means the roll out cargo cover.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts