GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2011 terrain and they suggested getting the windshield coating and paint sealer. Anyone have any recommendations on whether this is worth it or just a way for them to get some more money out of us.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Snake oil for sure.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
RUN AWAY FAST! Neve, ever heard of windshield coating...that's a new one on me. What did they say that windshield coating will do for you?
You already have a clear coat on the paint. Just wash and wax regularly and you will be fine.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The dealer I bought my car puts paint sealant and fabric protection on every vehicle as well as a VIN trace thet call invisable etch (Stickers on each vehilce panel). If you say no to paying for it they take it off the invoice.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
RNOX, Buzman said windshield coating not vin number etching, which is what I did on my Vette's glass T-Tops and windows. If you say no and they don't charge you, that's great. I still don't know what he meant by windshield coating. The glass etch kit cost me around $10 with enough to etch 7 or 8 windows. I do my own Scotchguard fabric protector also.
He didn't say how much those coatings were so I don't know if it was worth it or not....probably not. ;D

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I'm guessing that it's a "magic dust" that they sprinkle on your windshield, that prevents scratches, deflects bugs and rocks, and give you an extra 10 MPG by reducing friction. LOL

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Another vote for don't do it. The paint is already "sealed" from the factory with clearcoat...and I'm just gonna take a wild guess that the windshield coating would be something along the lines of having the same mimimum wage guys that wash the cars out back do a few swipes with some RainX type substance. :D Anything more permanent than that on the windshield (RainX only lasts a few days) would be a very bad idea for obvious reasons..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer said that the lovely windshield coating is like Rain-X but is supposed to last for 5-10 years. Paint coating is supposed to save you from ever waxing your car- $650 for both, I think. We were thinking, whaaaaaa?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
$649,00 too much. ;D

Clear coat was suppost to save you from waxing. Of course now there's "Clearcoat Wax" go figure. Maybe next will be "Clearcoat Wax" wax.

Let's see.....wipers going back and forth for 5 to 10 years and no wear affect to coating and you can still see thru it? Bruhahahahahahaha.
I wonder if the people that buy that coating will buy this fuel injection system I have that will magnetically charge the atoms in the fuel to give double the milage.......oh wait a minute.....someone is already selling that. Well, how about helium in the tires to make your car lighter so you can get better milage........wait a minute, I've seen that advertised too. I guess there's nothing else to invent........what about a windshield coating? hummmmmm ;D ;D ;D

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
I'm thinking about wrapping my Wife's Equinox up in a big custom plastic bag..with cut out hole for the tailpipe! I heard that this is the next generation seamless prophylactic protection to arrive at the dealerships soon. New dealer installed ziplock door and gas cap entry by request. Tinted versions also available! Turn your Cardinal red into Purple passion. Mocha into Camo. Silver Ice into Flamingo Spice. Black Granite into
Vertigo marble. No haggle pricing..second mortgage financing available on site. Get a bubble..no trouble..any peel..no big deal..100 year warrenty from a subsidiary of GladBag. Sorry..unavailable in certain provences of the great white north(but freezer bags are under developement).

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
IceMan said:
I'm thinking about wrapping my Wife's Equinox up in a big custom plastic bag..with cut out hole for the tailpipe! I heard that this is the next generation seamless prophylactic protection to arrive at the dealerships soon. New dealer installed ziplock door and gas cap entry by request. Tinted versions also available! Turn your Cardinal red into Purple passion. Mocha into Camo. Silver Ice into Flamingo Spice. Black Granite into
Vertigo marble. No haggle pricing..second mortgage financing available on site. Get a bubble..no trouble..any peel..no big deal..100 year warrenty from a subsidiary of GladBag. Sorry..unavailable in certain provences of the great white north(but freezer bags are under developement).
:D :D :D plus1, that's too funny Iceman - we've just been using Saran wrap over the past several years!![/color]

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You shouldn't laugh. Harley has just that for their motorcycles. It's a storage bubble that you put your bike in for the winter(who does THAT?). It has a fan to circulate the air inside and keep it dry. If I was the type to not ride in the Chicago winter, I might have bought one. :eek: ;D

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
GARYD said:
You shouldn't laugh. Harley has just that for their motorcycles. It's a storage bubble that you put your bike in for the winter(who does THAT?). It has a fan to circulate the air inside and keep it dry. If I was the type to not ride in the Chicago winter, I might have bought one. :eek: ;D
Don't want my Harley in a bubble! It's backed in the garage..already in gear....pointed toward the overhead door...and ready to go!
In fact...just got back from a run! 67 sunny degrees here in HoosierLand today!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
IceMan, I'm the same way --- all I have is the ol' Hog hooked up to a Battery Tender and sitting on cardboard --- that's it.
I wish I was off today ... I'd be riding. Me and a few of the boys ride every Sunday, weather permitting, duing the winter and I instigated the "Freeze Your Ass Off" ride on Jan. 1st each year. We did have a little hiccup a few weeks ago when we got a little snow (26"). Nobody wanted to ride in that. LOL

·
Registered
157 Posts
GARYD said:
Actually, I know a few people who do that with their classic cars in the winter here in Ohio - allows them to put the car in a storage building (read: barn) instead of an expensive climate controlled storage facility.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Exactly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts