GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 11 NOX LT1, with only the rear windows down, while driving about 40 MPH, I can hear a "pulsating" noise & feel an air pressure vibration. Worse with windows one-half down, than full down. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's totally normal. Both my 08 Impala and my 05 STS do this, and the Nox, too. It's just the air flow and the pressure in the back. For me, slightly cracking one of the front windows at the same time makes the pulsing much less noticeable if not clearing it up totally.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Terrain is the same way. I thought it was a wheel out of round or a wheel bearing going bad-This with less than 2000 miles on it.

The aerodynamics around the mirrors and the windshield really are bad.

Starts about 35 and gets worse as the speed increases.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
JA said:
On my 11 NOX LT1, with only the rear windows down, while driving about 40 MPH, I can hear a "pulsating" noise & feel an air pressure vibration. Worse with windows one-half down, than full down. Anyone else notice this?
I would have to agree that this is likely the result of the aerodynamics of the vehicle. I can also look into this for you. In order to do some more research, I will need the VIN for the vehicle as well as the current mileage. Please feel free to contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance and I look for ward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Any current style Equinox or Terrain should have the wind noise with the rear (right rear in my case) down.

Noise is noticeable from 35-40 on up; getting worse as the speed increases.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Rear windows down air buffeting is common to almost all new "aerodynamic" vehicle on the road today. It's vortices being created which compress and decompress the air inside the car. Vehicle speed and the amount the windows are open change the conditions and thus the pressure fluctuations.

You can help eliminate it by adjusting the amount the rear window(s) is(are) open and by opening the front ones a certain amount as well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you have a moonroof... try popping it open (try Vent setting) That could relieve it too. I had the same on my 01 Tracker. In particular if you open teh rear windows and not teh front you'd a noisy and irritating pulse/pressure. Crack a front window would lessen it. I tend to drive windows up 90% of the time so have not experienced it in my short ownership.... (just over a month)

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's very common on this type of car. My 2008 Enclave does the same thing. Just drive with the windows closed...it's a lot more economical...less "wind drag".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Our Terrain does the same thing. Our previous vehicle, a 2004 Honda CR-V EX was just as bad. Only thing that made the difference was opening the sun roof the or front windows a little. Keeping all the windows closed is the quietest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
JA said:
this is actually told to you in the owners manual..it has to do with the way the vehicle is built to get the most MPG it creates a pulsating noise when either of the rear windows are down and not the front ones. I know i read it in there somewheres. :beer:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Dandy1774 said:
this is actually told to you in the owners manual..it has to do with the way the vehicle is built to get the most MPG it creates a pulsating noise when either of the rear windows are down and not the front ones. I know i read it in there somewheres. :beer:
Indeed...

From the Manual, Section 2-16 Keys, Doors and Windows:

The vehicle aerodynamics are
designed to improve fuel economy
performance. This may result in a
pulsing sound when either rear
window is down and the front
windows are up. To reduce the
sound, open either a front window
or the sunroof (if equipped).[/color]

Link to the online version if you care to see for yourself...

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/owners/manuals/2011/2011_chevrolet_equinox_owners.pdf

·
Registered
136 Posts
THX Mochanox! I thought everyone knew this? Folks, have ya ever rode a bicycle?? Don't mean to be offensive. But moving air makes noise unless you're sealed off from it. Every car I've owned did this.

and yes, over 35MPH, cheaper to run the A/C than drive with windows open, just as Rick Tinley Park stated.

Enjoy the Summer!

MM

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just bought this 2016 Equinox from Williams Chevrolet in Traverse City,MI..it has only 46 thousand on it...we need the back windows down buffeting problem fixed..it is very painful to our eardrums..we are in our 60s...what is the fix for this?...I have never owned a vehicle that does this...poor design..please contact us with the solution..thank you..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Or crack the front windows a bit that eases the pressure that causes it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts