GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else experience an intense wind noise and vibration when either of the back windows are opened when driving at higher speeds?

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
The way it was explained to me was these cars were designed to be very aerodynamic - even more so than a Corvette, I heard somewhere? (Seems hard to believe...) Anyways, air has very specific pathways traveling over the vehicle at speed and opening the windows negatively affects that with undesirable side effects

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yeah, this is pretty well known...just lower one of the front windows slightly when the backs are down to relieve pressure.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Did it also on my 01 Aztek too.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
GARYD said:
Did it also on my 01 Aztek too.
How's the wind-noise on the Harley !!!

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Not bad with my ear plugs in.
My stereo is louder then the wind noise. ;D

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
GARYD said:
Not bad with my ear plugs in.
My stereo is louder then the wind noise. ;D
H-D should license GM's noise-cancelling technology so that non-riders don't have to listen to the exhaust "noise".

;D

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
jdubs1211 said:
Does anyone else experience an intense wind noise and vibration when either of the back windows are opened when driving at higher speeds?
If you feel that this is the result of some other concern, I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more information. Please feel free to keep us posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
RIT333, that's the only defence we have against car drivers who can't hear a **** thing with their windows rolled up, air conditioner full blast, yapping on a cell phone, with the radio blasting some god awfull rap music all the while texting their BFF. :facepalm: ;D

Besides Harleys sound better then loud rice rockets at 2am when Harley riders are normally sleeping --or --passed out. :beer: :happy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a brand new 2011 Equinox. My eardrums felt like bursting when I opened the rearwindows while driving about 45 MPH on the highway yesterday. The car shook and vibrated very strongly. I was caught by surprise and the impact on my ear pressure was so strong that it took a few seconds to react and then get the windows closed.
This could have caused a wreck because you are initially wondering what the hell is going on. I have had all types of GM, Ford, and Chrysler products. This has never happened before. This sucks.

I can't believe people are so passive on this and are willing to let it go. I am going to notify GM quality assurance and start from there!!!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hud said:
I can't believe people are so passive on this and are willing to let it go. I am going to notify GM quality assurance and start from there!!!!!
It is kind of annoying, but we certainly are not alone with this.
Googling 'rear windows wind buffeting' finds many many other vehicles that have this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My '02 Trailblazer as the same earbusting noise.With all that air rushing towards the rear there should be some type of flapper type vent/release present. Cracking a 3rd window helps

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Hud said:
I have a brand new 2011 Equinox. My eardrums felt like bursting when I opened the rearwindows while driving about 45 MPH on the highway yesterday. The car shook and vibrated very strongly. I was caught by surprise and the impact on my ear pressure was so strong that it took a few seconds to react and then get the windows closed.
This could have caused a wreck because you are initially wondering what the hell is going on. I have had all types of GM, Ford, and Chrysler products. This has never happened before. This sucks.

I'm sure GM will redesign the vehicle if you keep after them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Alright all, I'm a mechanical engineer, I have a degree in this stuff, so i'm going to throw a little science at you.

What causes this in most vehicles designed recently is called the Bernoulli effect. Essentially the side of your car acts similar to the wing on an air plane. At high speeds, the wind going across the side of the car creates a low-pressure zone. The "buffeting" that you hear is the sound of the high pressure air inside the car being sucked out by the low pressure air passing by the car. Think of it as blowing across the top of a half-empty soda bottle. That whistle that you make? Same thing.

Now, the reason this only happens when the rear windows are down is because of the flow of air. With the rear windows down, the air flows across the window and not directly into the car because the window is in line with the flat of the side of the car. since the area in front of and behind the rear window is flat, the air tends to follow the flat even with the window open, creating the noise you hear and the sucking sound that you feel on your ears. The front windows are on the curve of the car, with no forward flat area to develop the wind flow, so the air flows into the window and not across it, therefore, no buffeting sound and now pressure change.

So, in short, its not a problem with the car, but actually an aerodynamic efficiency. This is part of the reason the equinox gets an (allegedly) 32 MPG highway.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Nice description !

That should put some people's mind to rest.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think it's safe to say that it happens on most cars. And yes, just crack one of the front windows, just barely, and it goes away.

My '00 Mazda Protege does the same thing. I would say it's definitely normal.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Hud said:

I am sorry to hear about this concern. Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? Please feel free to contact me with more inforamtion for further assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts