GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GMC Terrain Elevation Edition
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 Terrain elevation pack with 4,902 kms on the dot.
Looking to buy winter tires and I’m debating between All terrain or your standard winter tires. I do 95% highway driving and the roads in interior B.C are just pathetic. Thus, I was more inclined to get All terrain tires.

I’m debating between the 3 below:
  • BF Goodrich Trail Terrain T/A in 235/55/19
  • Falken Wildpeak A/T in 245/55/19
  • Toyo Open Country A/T III in 255/55/19

I’m concerned regarding the room in the front.
From the factory it came with 235/50/19 and there’s barely any room remaining imo to use any of the above tires unless I use a spacer or downsize my rims.

I would appreciate your guys’ input if I can make any of those above setups work on 19’s or else I’ll start looking for winter tires in the same specs as factory tires i.e. 235/50/19.
PFA and TIA!
P.S: These factory hankook’s are crap.

Tire Automotive tire Black Tread Computer keyboard

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

·
Registered
835 Posts
Another option is a "severe weather" tire such as the Michelin CrossClimate2 in the factory size. Nokian and Cooper also offer tires in the factory size that are "severe weather" rated. The WRG4 SUV and Discoverer Enduramax.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another option is a "severe weather" tire such as the Michelin CrossClimate2 in the factory size. Nokian and Cooper also offer tires in the factory size that are "severe weather" rated. The WRG4 SUV and Discoverer Enduramax.
The reason why I am inclined to get All terrain tires is because of these crappy uneven asphalt we got here. I can use them for most of the months at least and when it’s burning outside, i can switch to these crappy Hankooks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
We just rolled up on 46k on our crappy Hankooks and they look like another 10k easily left before they hit wear bars? I thought our Crooks were doing pretty well considering some of the OEM Michelin tires were being reported as shot with 30k or less.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just rolled up on 46k on our crappy Hankooks and they look like another 10k easily left before they hit wear bars? I thought our Crooks were doing pretty well considering some of the OEM Michelin tires were being reported as shot with 30k or less.
Even on forum, nobody appreciates ‘kooks. Their tire noise is terrible to begin with and then comes on their performance. You may browse through the Internet and you will see what i am talking about. I personally can’t say much because i just have 5k kms on these tires but just by the tire noise alone, I can tell they’re crap.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
333 Posts
Even on forum, nobody appreciates ‘kooks. Their tire noise is terrible to begin with and then comes on their performance. You may browse through the Internet and you will see what i am talking about. I personally can’t say much because i just have 5k kms on these tires but just by the tire noise alone, I can tell they’re crap.
I have Hankook Kinergy GT and they are quiet, good rain traction and overall very good performance. If I keep the car long enough, the only reason I would hesitate to get them again is that they are about $100 CAD more than Michelins.

I am thinking most here who dislike Hankooks are not using Kinergy GT, I think they are new for 2022 on the RS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Hankook Kinergy GT and they are quiet, good rain traction and overall very good performance. If I keep the car long enough, the only reason I would hesitate to get them again is that they are about $100 CAD more than Michelins.

I am thinking most here who dislike Hankooks are not using Kinergy GT, I think they are new for 2022 on the RS.
Maybe I’m complaining about it because i never had a 50 sidewall car ever. 30-35-40 sidewall is all I ever experienced with my vehicles. Or it could be these pathetic roads. Never complained about it in lower mainland (Fraser area) however, interior region is just bizarre reason why I’m looking for those meaty A/T tires. But i guess it won’t fit so i’ll stick with winters. Will get Dunlop winter sport in the same spec as kook’s.

·
Registered
2012 terrain 2.4 ecotec flexer
98 Posts
I have never had a good set of factory tires on a new car. Almost like they were seconds or something. Here is a example. These were factory Michelins on my 2012 terrain with 28,000 miles. All 4 tires did this on the inside where you could not see it. Luckily this was found on a rotation before a road trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never had a good set of factory tires on a new car. Almost like they were seconds or something. Here is a example. These were factory Michelins on my 2012 terrain with 28,000 miles. All 4 tires did this on the inside where you could not see it. Luckily this was found on a rotation before a road trip.
That is so strange. Why would all 4 tires do this?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks like manufacturing defects. Michilen should cover that.
Maybe, but i have zero confidence in their product and do not want these on any vehicle ever. Kinda like the Firestone debacle of the 90's. These two brands for me are not even a consideration for purchase and if a new car was equipped with these, it would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could anyone please help me with my query as well? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
There are a lot of tire size calculators available on line that will tell you the difference in tires. Type in factory size and what you are thinking of and it will tell you the difference. From width,diameter,circumference,revolutions per mile,height. If you stick to something close, you should be ok. The only way to know for sure is choose one and go to a tire shop and see. Remember if overall circumference changes, it will affect your odometer readings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are a lot of tire size calculators available on line that will tell you the difference in tires. Type in factory size and what you are thinking of and it will tell you the difference. From width,diameter,circumference,revolutions per mile,height. If you stick to something close, you should be ok. The only way to know for sure is choose one and go to a tire shop and see. Remember if overall circumference changes, it will affect your odometer readings.
Yup. Done that multiple times. But long story short, i went with continental viking 7 and specs: 245/45/19

·
Registered
98 Posts
Excellent choice. I am currently running a set of Continentals on my Terrain. They replaced those abysmal Michelins and liked them so much, I put a set of Continentals on my pickup. 😁

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent choice. I am currently running a set of Continentals on my Terrain. They replaced those abysmal Michelins and liked them so much, I put a set of Continentals on my pickup. 😁
Time for me to drive up the rockies. Hopefully it’ll be a good trip. Roughly 3000kms of driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts