GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that the 2020 terrain (or whatever it is called in the future) won't get it until the next real redesign. Unfortunately, I doubt GMC will update the firmware in our existing terrain to make that a feature in the future, so I'm stuck looking for a good permanent workaround solution. Plugging in my iPhone isn't hard, it just seems old fashioned given how convenient wireless CarPlay is.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Another forum member had success with this product:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another forum member had success with this product:

That's great! It seems make sense to go wired for a long trip, but is quite convenient to use carlinkit for short trips, tooling around town, shopping, etc.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
…I had an interesting conversation with a car audio shop owner recently that he says aftermarket brands (Alpine, Pioneer, etc.) are going to discontinue pursuing wireless CarPlay because it’s not reliable. Phones are constantly disconnecting and customers are returning wireless CarPlay units at a high rate… not sure what that means for vehicle manufacturers and if they’re having the same issues…

·
Registered
646 Posts
…I had an interesting conversation with a car audio shop owner recently that he says aftermarket brands (Alpine, Pioneer, etc.) are going to discontinue pursuing wireless CarPlay because it’s not reliable. Phones are constantly disconnecting and customers are returning wireless CarPlay units at a high rate… not sure what that means for vehicle manufacturers and if they’re having the same issues…
I think a lot of it too is due to changes made with every iOS update pushed out by Apple. Operating system changes conflict with the firmware in 3rd party devices and either makes them glitchy or disables them altogether. Kind of like what Equinox/Terrain owners were seeing recently with their iPhones no longer being recognized via USB. A later iOS update supposedly restored functionality. Most of this tech is largely dependent on the devices being able to talk to each other. As soon as one device uses a protocol that varies even slightly from what they other device expects, things go awry. People have become so dependent on "plug-and-play" that when they plug and can't play they panic. The maker of device A blames the maker of device B. The maker of device B points at the maker of device A. The end user gives up and returns the device that doesn't seem to be working.

My previous car's Bluetooth would not play along very nicely with Samsung devices. Hyundai blamed Samsung. Samsung blamed Hyundai. Verizon said the firmware was current, and told me to go back to Samsung. Samsung blamed Hyundai and basically said it wasn't their device's fault and there was nothing they could do. Hyundai said there was nothing they could do and I would just have to get a different phone. While I waited for my Verizon contract to end, I bought a $30 Motorola Razr "burner" phone from Tracfone. It interfaced flawlessly with the Hyundai Bluetooth. I eventually ported my number from the Samsung device to an HTC device from another provider and all of the Hyundai Bluetooth features worked perfectly.

After I bought my Equinox, I had to get a new phone. I went with Samsung again. No issues at first, but low and behold it started having issues after an operating system update and wouldn't work correctly with the MyLink system in the Equinox. I tolerated it for a few years and then got a Google device. All of the glitches went away and everything works like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS, 2021 Camaro LT1 6-Speed, 2002 Camaro SS 6-speed, 2014 Dodge Caravan
36 Posts
I can tell you that my Wireless Android auto in my 2021 Camaro is flawless, Mind you, I only use Google Pixel phones which are native Android anyways. May just be a compatibility thing for some users...

Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts