GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...I am looking at used 2010 & 2011 GMC Terrains...was wondering if the CarFax reports will show the service history of the Engine and Stall issues...or does the Carfax just show general maint & inspection.
Thx for the help

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
e23nk1 said:
Hi everyone...I am looking at used 2010 & 2011 GMC Terrains...was wondering if the CarFax reports will show the service history of the Engine and Stall issues...or does the Carfax just show general maint & inspection.
Thx for the help
Sumr - Your CarFax ought to be a mile long. Know the answer to this ?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
looking at the carfax site, it says it will show the service history. I agree with RNOX, ask the dealership too.

Also states if it was returned as a lemon..interesting

I know in my case, I did the lemon law, kept the car, got money from GM and traded in for a 2012...in this case, per my atty, the lemon law will not show up on the vehicle..so whoever gets my 2011 Terrain that went directly to the used car lot, will not know that I did the lemon law.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
wrusprod said:
If anyone has carfax already, and wants to see what comes up..here is link to my 2011 Terrain,thats still on the used car lot ( at least its showing as still there)

http://www.jimcausley.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2011-GMC-Terrain-AWD_4dr_SLE_2-Clinton_Township-MI/1589061913
You only had it in the service shop once? At least that's what the link is telling me.

I find Carfax is hit and miss. If you read online you will see the problems with Carfax and how it can inaccurately report items on cars. And if you want to get them taken off, well, good luck. I think fixing your credit history is easier than fixing Carfax. Supposedly thousands of vehicles from the Hurricane Katrina flooding are not reporting their flooded history on Carfax when they were under 10 feet of water for weeks. I personally say ask for the dealership history record if it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow...very interesting...thx for the info...so there is really no credibility in the CarFax reports...the dealers really have seemed to push them on me.
I have looked at 3 different used Terrains and every CarFax report had been clean..only showed basic info...oil change and state safty inspection.
I will try to ask for the service records although I dont believe the dealers that currently have the vehicles are the ones where they were originally bought and serviced....does that matter?

·
Registered
949 Posts
e23nk1 said:
wow...very interesting...thx for the info...so there is really no credibility in the CarFax reports...the dealers really have seemed to push them on me.
I have looked at 3 different used Terrains and every CarFax report had been clean..only showed basic info...oil change and state safty inspection.
I will try to ask for the service records although I dont believe the dealers that currently have the vehicles are the ones where they were originally bought and serviced....does that matter?
Service records would have to be obtained from the dealership that performed the service. However, ANY chevy dealership can view the WARRANTY record of that vehicle. I'm not 100% sure, but I would think that even if the vehicle changes owners, the same warranty record would be attached to that VIN number, right? So, technically, you should be able to request a copy of the WARRANTY CLAIM HISTORY. That will show any work that had been done and covered by the warranty.

And speaking of the cars that were flooded by hurricanes, I have a close friend that drove back and forth to Galveston after Hurricane Rita to tow stranded/destroyed vehicles (and small boats). It's my understanding that a vehicle would only show on carfax as "flood damaged" IF that owner claimed insurance for the damage. Otherwise, that person could just say "no, I drove that car when I evacuated, it was never flooded." Yes, insurance reps did drive down to evaluate the situation, but they couldn't get to the islands that were blocked off by damaged/destroyed roads. And if a car was parked in a locked garage? Nobody would know. ...That's how things like that slide through the cracks. On the other hand, there were also people that purposefully left their luxury cars there, to claim insurance money and get rid of the car - the door swings both ways.

Anyways - Service History may not get you anywhere, but you'd have better luck with the Warranty Claim History. That is something that any chevy dealership can pull up by using the VIN number. It won't have much details though. I have a copy of mine, it shows the date, and a very very short description of what was done. But if you see multiple similar claims, then that might be a red flag.

·
Registered
949 Posts
RIT333 said:
Sumr - Your CarFax ought to be a mile long. Know the answer to this ?
I'd be curious what my CarFax says, haha.

Is there some way to put some kind of "previous owner comment" on it?

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Sumr616 said:
I'd be curious what my CarFax says, haha.

Is there some way to put some kind of "previous owner comment" on it?
Register it on Facebook ! It sucks that some poor sole will be driving your car in a couple of weeks - well, suck to be them, and good for you.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
That should be a crime to resell a Lemon on a used lot, only way it should be allowed if everything was fully disclosed and I mean everything lol. But how on earth would a dealer be able to sell it lol. Wow, i think used cars are great but now you gotta due more research than ever. Car fax are only good if the incident either wrecked or serviced was properly documented.
I think there are other companies similar to carfax like carproof and autocheck. Heck if i was buying a used car from a dealer i would request all three to compare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do now plan on asking the dealers for additional service info...I have also asked for the build dates too I have read alot about those as well.
I know its only a used vehicle but its still a $20-$25k purchase which is big for us.
It is a shame that alot of people are unknowingly walking into problems especially because the dealers will show a clean carfax and that may not be the case.
I am trying to focus on V6 engines now also but those seem to be hard to find...now I know why...lol
Thx all for your thoughts and help.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
JediSkipdogg said:
You only had it in the service shop once? At least that's what the link is telling me.

I find Carfax is hit and miss. If you read online you will see the problems with Carfax and how it can inaccurately report items on cars. And if you want to get them taken off, well, good luck. I think fixing your credit history is easier than fixing Carfax. Supposedly thousands of vehicles from the Hurricane Katrina flooding are not reporting their flooded history on Carfax when they were under 10 feet of water for weeks. I personally say ask for the dealership history record if it's still under warranty.
At the dealer half a dozen times in one year...never was fixed..just gave up and traded it in..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not to be negative but don't rely on what Carfax has to say or not to say. I had a 14 year old Chevy pickup truck that I bought brand new and GM did 90% of the service done on it. When I traded it in on a 2012 Equinox I looked up the Truck on there site & checked the Car Fax & there was only one thing enterd, an oil change around 7 years prior to when i traded it in & it was out of State from were I live. By the way who ever got the Truck got a good one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello to all,

I was involved in a serious car accident 5/11, and traded in a 2011 Toyota RAV4 for my 2011 Terrain (big mistake).
The GMC dealer told me that the accident had not showed up on my Carfax report, probably because it was under
30 days since the accident.
Therefore I do not trust Carfax reports.
Will post on issues I am having with my lemon Terrain.

amf529

·
Registered
715 Posts
This was some years back, but at that time, a 'lemon' would be sent to an auto auction. The 'used car' dealer often knew it was a lemon but to have 'newer' vehicles on his lot, they'd buy it anyway. It was usually sold 'as is' which means the buyer got a load of problems he knew nothing about.

That's how some used car lots have a 'new' or nearly new car on the front corner of the lot.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well, just checked...My 2011 Terrain that I posted above has been sold...

I hope the new owner has better luck than me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
sounds to me like gm just done a buyback on your vehicle..happens quite often usually gm wont even dispute the issue...we just got a canyon buyback cuz the customer said the car had wind noise issue..either they will refund the customer some money or trade them for the same brand new vehicle they bought..then they pay the dealership to fix the old one and cut the dealer a good break on the price to buy it from GM and sell it used..carfax will report if it is taken to a service dept that reports to carfax..the only way an accident will report to carfax is if there was an insurance claim against the vehicle..ive seen countless cars with a clean car fax that are visibly noticeable that they have been wrecked so carfax is not even close to 100% accurate...if you give me your VIN i can get you the complete history on your vehicle..anytime its been to a GM dealer for any service warranty or not, if it has a branded title, and i can get you the original invoice and assembly info on your car..if you havent been to your local dealer yet PM me the VIN# and i can get that info for you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts