GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

81 - 90 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 GMC Terrain 6 Cylinder AWD. I purchased it new in December 2012. I currently have 151000 miles on the vehicle. A lot of the miles are highway miles but with a full vehicle of equipment.

I had no real mechanical problems until about 130K miles.

In the last year, I have had to replace my windshield wiper motor, the magnetic assembly for the ABS, the fuel cap and oxygen sensor. I have replaced the brakes once but need to replace them a 2nd time. I have replaced the tires twice.

The windshield wiper motor was a ridiculous problem. Apparently, its a known issue that the motor can fail when using the wipers at full speed. I believe that should have been a recall on the vehicle as the only time that you will be using the wipers in full speed is during a downpour. That is what happened to me driving down the highway at 60MPH in a summer storm on the east coast. Visibility went to 0 in a second and was lucky enough to pull over to wait out the storm. The repair was replacing the entire thing which was around 300 bucks.

That was my first great aggravation with this vehicle. Besides that it has been a useful and reliable car for me. I drive for work up and down the east coast; so a lot of highway miles...but a lot of that is in sit and go traffic. The size is good for my line of work as I can pack the thing solid and still have enough power in the car without getting completely crushed on the fuel economy. I am averaging around 21MPG.

I am hoping to get this bad boy over 200K by the end of next year. If I can get to that point I will consider the ownership of the vehicle a success.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I finally decided it was time to upgrade and traded mine in a few days ago, just shy of 309k. Was adding a quart of oil every 700 miles, a rate that had increased quite a bit from 6 months ago. That downhill trend, plus a random electrical ghost that popped up, had me losing confidence in using this for interstate trips every month. And if I'm being completely honest, it was coming due for new tires in the next 2k or so, and I wasn't sure I wanted to put that kind of $ into it anymore.
@mgmsequinox, did you cross 350k?
@Colt Hero, I know you prefer video, but here are the last two photos I took right before I handed over the keys. I don't have a flickr or youtube account or anything to post video, so hopefully you won't be too disappointed...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I finally decided it was time to upgrade and traded mine in a few days ago, just shy of 309k. Was adding a quart of oil every 700 miles, a rate that had increased quite a bit from 6 months ago. That downhill trend, plus a random electrical ghost that popped up, had me losing confidence in using this for interstate trips every month. And if I'm being completely honest, it was coming due for new tires in the next 2k or so, and I wasn't sure I wanted to put that kind of $ into it anymore.

@mgmsequinox, did you cross 350k?

@Colt Hero, I know you prefer video, but here are the last two photos I took right before I handed over the keys. I don't have a flickr or youtube account or anything to post video, so hopefully you won't be too disappointed...
It'll have to do.

Hey - how much did they give you for the trade-in? I had a co-worker who recently traded in a 2008 Altima, well equipped, with leather, around 180k miles. He bought a 2016 Audi Q5 with around 30,000 miles for $26k at a CarMax near here. CarMax only gave him $700. Based on that deal, I'd say you got about $100? Or did you have to pay them to dispose of it? LOL!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey - how much did they give you for the trade-in? I had a co-worker who recently traded in a 2008 Altima, well equipped, with leather, around 180k miles. He bought a 2016 Audi Q5 with around 30,000 miles for $26k at a CarMax near here. CarMax only gave him $700. Based on that deal, I'd say you got about $100? Or did you have to pay them to dispose of it? LOL!
CarMax gave me a $1000 offer when I took it to them a month ago, just to get a baseline. I had actually stepped away for a minute when the Toyota trade-in guy came back with a $750 offer, but my salesperson made him push it to $1000 and that's what he told me when I got back to his desk. Sold!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I going to say, it will go as long as you are willing to take it. What do I mean by that? Let me explain:
I know both Honda guys and diesel guys (mostly Ford and Dodge). Both of these groups make the claim that their vehicles last forever. The diesel guys like to say that at 100K miles, the engine is just getting broke in. The Honda guys like to say "Man, this thing will last you forever!". Here is the kicker. Across both these groups of adamant supporters that their vehicle will last a life time, many of them are on their 2nd or 3rd engine, 3rd-ish set of heads and pistons from timing belt breaks, 2nd set of transmissions, ... the list really goes on.

So really, the car could last you a very long time, the question is really how far are you willing to take it or what are your limits? Personally, I'm aiming for about 150K miles where I'll trade it in.
So is 160,000 mile too much to get a used 2010 Equinox @ $7,900

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Way too much. Especially if it has the 4 cylinder engine . What engine does it have.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Equinox LS 4D S
4 DOOR WAGON/SPORT UTILITY
2.4L I4 F DOHC 24V

If you didn't buy it yet, then I would run as fast as you can, away from that car.

If you did, then don't read this post !

Sorry !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought mine used at 50k miles in 2015. Now I have 154k on it in 2020 I made the HUGE mistake of changing the oil every 10k-12k. Of course I know after the fact that was killing my 3.0 engine and I’ve learned from that. Anyways I paid 3k for a used engine with 112k miles. Besides replacing the engine, the only things that have ever gone wrong in my 5 years and 100k miles of ownership were little dumb problems that are not too costly. I’ve replaced the blend door actuator, high pressure fuel pump(didn’t completely fail was just running to rich), wheel bearings, coolant thermostat, and a MAF sensor. Most of which I was able to do myself through YouTube tutorials. Didn’t trust myself with the engine and high pressure fuel pump lol. I swear those were the only problems I’ve ever had in 5 years and 100kmiles. I’m guessing these things are like fruit, sometimes you just get a bad one and sometimes you get a good one.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Bought mine used at 50k miles in 2015. Now I have 154k on it in 2020 I made the HUGE mistake of changing the oil every 10k-12k. Of course I know after the fact that was killing my 3.0 engine and I’ve learned from that. Anyways I paid 3k for a used engine with 112k miles.
Bought mine new in 2011 with the same engine (3.0L), and I'm approaching 150k. Mine's nearly still all-original! Only changes have been the purge valve ($35), the brake pads ($100 for all 4 wheels), the battery (free on Walmart "points"), one tail light ($5?), 35 oil & filter changes (~$525), 2 transmission fluid replacements ($50), and one set of replacement tires ($700 +$125 when one of these new tire's sidewall failed and Michelin refused coverage). So that's $1540 in maintenance costs over 9.5 years ($162.10/year). Not bad.

So far I give it an A- on its "Mid-Life Report Card". What's keeping it from getting a straight "A" are the fuel economy and the paint. In the case of the fuel economy, it's always been lackluster (23 mpg on highway on my 75 mph, 900-mile jaunts up and down the East Coast). Even around town, you can drive and literally watch the gas gauge drop as your're driving (especially if the A/C is ON ... in fact, I think the A/C might always be on, but I haven't bothered to verify that). I think I was able to get 26 out of it once by deliberately driving differently on one of my long drives, but I just cannot drive that way all the time.

The other "points off" item is the paint. The paint has flaked off the nose of the vehicle pretty badly. Granted, I would put a LeBra on it for the long drives - and that's what "caused" it, but the Bra has only been on the car 2 or 3 times a year for 10-14 days each! I've used LeBras with both the '02 Impala and '97 Taurus before the Equinox came along, and neither one suffered any paint damage. I think the "problem" is not so much using a LeBra as much is its the shape of the hood on the vehicle. The Equinox hood contour is just too irregular to cover with a LeBra. It ends up vibrating, whereas with the smooth contour of the hoods on both the Impala and Taurus this doesn't happen.

So ... will my Equinox go 300,000 miles? I doubt it. It'll go to 222,222 for sure ... because I make sure they all go at least that far... but this might be my last 222,222 mile vehicle because I can see my annual driving mileage starting to taper off very soon. And then my next vehicle will probably be electric ... so I can get 100+ mpg (equivalent)!

81 - 90 of 89 Posts