GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

61 - 79 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Colt - You certainly are tough to please.
It’s not about “pleasing”, it’s about putting that mileage in perspective given the way those miles were compiled.

It’s kind of like the weather, I think. X degrees, but *feels like* Y degrees.

So how does that 300,000 miles “feel like” to that engine? I think it “feels like” a little over 200,000 miles, given the way it was put on.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
665 Posts
May be it is not 300k miles in city driving but for us who live in rural region it is still a major milestone ...18 wheelers are still young when they are have this kind of odometer reading ! But that is not what we are talking about. Our cars tend to fall apart at around 175K miles that we feel we need to replace them before they leave us stranded and in danger on a cold night.

Let's compare apples to apples how many small SUVs driver can claim that many miles without engine or tranny replacement under any condition ? So kudos to mgmsequinox for maintaining his car well.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Our cars tend to fall apart at around 175K miles that we feel we need to replace them before they leave us stranded and in danger on a cold night.
They fall apart at 175k because we torture them for a dozen years and more to cover those miles, through multiple seasons of hot and cold weather, road salt, and plenty of stop and go in-city driving.

MGMSEQUINOX bypassed almost all of that by compressing the miles into fewer seasons and driving exclusively on highways. That engine barely had time to realize what hit it!

Let's compare apples to apples how many small SUVs driver can claim that many miles without engine or tranny replacement under any condition ? So kudos to mgmsequinox for maintaining his car well.
Most people with that many miles would be in their 20th year of ownership. Nowadays it's rare for people to hold onto cars that long. After about 15 years of torture, you start seeing leaking gaskets, loss of oil, and early signs of engine and transmission issues. But if more people did those miles in 6 years like MGMSEQUINOX, you'd see many more claims because I think a LOT of cars could do it in that shorter period of time.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Most people with that many miles would be in their 20th year of ownership.

I know personally quite a few people due to family reason or choice of keeping a farm and working in the city or labs etc...that commutes 200 miles a day ..approximately 50000 miles a year (55mph to 75 mph roads) . Most of them use sedans e.g Camrys, Subarus (because of apparent the safety of 4 wheel drives in winter etc) and they get rid of them at 200 K miles typically as they fall apart anyways... SUVs tend to be less durable than midsize sedans (my observation ...but i can be very wrong). That is why 300 K miles on an equinox is impressive by any standard to me...and it tells me more about how good the owner is more than the brand.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am going to bring this thread back for one reason.........YES on Thursday it was 6 years 6 months and a day old.......AND TURNED 300,000still no motor work od tranny work.uses 2 or 3 quarts of oil in 5000 miles.starting to get the dreaded 2097 code........converter not efficient....guess I cant complain see picture
It is comply awesome since it is 2012. We have 2012 terrain at 98k miles 2.4l and it was at the dealer yesterday for a noise. Your 2 or 3 qts I find not 'acceptable' but if it were me I would just drive it and probably not do anything unless an issue arose. Luckily --- I do not add any oil between changes. I run full synthetic and change anywhere between 5k and 7.5k interval. Do you synthetic oil. Dealer says my noise is wheel bearings.... it's not bad now but will eventually fix. Good luck to you and hope you hit 500k!

·
Registered
163 Posts
This really gives me hope. I had the piston/timing chain work done at 95000. I have been very diligent about changing all my fluids on time and doing the preventative maintenance work on my 2011. Hoping to get 200,000 miles out of it.

mgmsequinox have you had to replace any suspension stuff, like ball joints,swing arms,struts? With that many miles I figure they would wear out on you?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
The nox likes wheel bearings, all struts and ball joints are original.rear is on third set of wheel bearing and the front I think is on the fourth.all the bearings did not fail.........doing a major at like 200k I did rotors and brakes and I did the wheel bearing while I was in there.since it is fwd the rear bearings have no axle in them and that makes it a piece of cake.in an hour........take off tire, remove caliper bracket, remove rotor, remove abs sensor, remove 4 bolts and hub is out.install new hub, connect abs sensor, install rotor, caliper bracket, caliper, wheel and go for a ride .it really likes headlight bulbs............if you ever read the package on bulbs it says they last like 300 hours.well I drive this car about 25 hours a week so in 3 months I am at the life expectancy of the bulbs because anytime the car runs the drl's are on and the drl's are the low beams.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My mom's HHR did great for many years but at about 100,000 miles it started really going thru headlight bulbs. I think they found a bad ground somewhere, so check that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The nox likes wheel bearings, all struts and ball joints are original.rear is on third set of wheel bearing and the front I think is on the fourth.all the bearings did not fail.........doing a major at like 200k I did rotors and brakes and I did the wheel bearing while I was in there.since it is fwd the rear bearings have no axle in them and that makes it a piece of cake.in an hour........take off tire, remove caliper bracket, remove rotor, remove abs sensor, remove 4 bolts and hub is out.install new hub, connect abs sensor, install rotor, caliper bracket, caliper, wheel and go for a ride .it really likes headlight bulbs............if you ever read the package on bulbs it says they last like 300 hours.well I drive this car about 25 hours a week so in 3 months I am at the life expectancy of the bulbs because anytime the car runs the drl's are on and the drl's are the low beams.
Try going with Fenton V8 LEDs. They're in the middle as far as cost of LED headlamps go, but, they will last a very, very, very long time....

·
Registered
554 Posts
A lot of LED headlights are not DRL compatible, check the sellers info as some will notate that in there literature.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 Equinox bought at 33k miles used it was in great condition, took it to California and back twice from Florida and taken it on 1500 mile trips frequently. It’s currently at 102k and the only problems I’ve had are replacing the original battery and getting new brakes and tires. It doesn’t run through oil like everybody says in fact it hardly uses any, I think pre-2013 equinox have more problems from the reviews I’ve seen. Overall I love this car I have no doubts it will last 300k

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
mine is now at 333,000a couple more miles to be 1/3 of a millionuses a quart about every 500 miles nowI think it is getting tired
Hi! This is GM. That oil usage is fine. And would you be interested in testifying on our behalf in exchange for a “private” SCA extending your warranty to 10 years, 120,000 miles? LOL!

·
Registered
11 Posts
@mgmsequinox, add me to the list. I crossed the 300k threshold today!

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's a matter of willpower. My last beater, it was a first generation FWD Chevy Malibu, aka last generation Oldsmobile Cutlass, a 1999 version. It was my haul truck, my tow vehicle with the 60 degree GM V-6, mine had a 3.1. It made it to 265k miles before it puked it's hollow camshaft. It's last professional touch was on the road, somewhere on I-40 in Arkansas. The father-son team in Clarksdale, Arkansas diagnosed my leaking coolant (while moving from Tulsa to Rome, GA) and replaced the front timing gear cover gasket for just over $200. A real deal and am very grateful. Got me back on the road to Armuchee, GA where, almost 2 years later it cracked it's camshaft in two, on the busiest intersection in town. Got bless, I buried the throttle to keep it running, got it home where it got towed to the recycler, eventually making it to the land of the dead.

I could have gotten a junkyard GM engine, pretty easy, tons of them around in the pull-a-parts and done a transplant. For not a lot more than what I paid in repairs and extra night lodging in Arkansas.

But no, I let it go. The last and final of my beater "burnbombers" (as my local pot dealer and fellow freshman dorm inhabitant called my ride back in 1972).

Now my tow vehicle is the Nox. My better half has here pretty new Honda Pilot Elite and it says garaged always. The Nox has been kicked out for awhile now. It makes a mighty fine tow vehicle, in the brown and black Blackstone leather with the kick ass Pioneer audio with subwoofer.

My next touch will be new syn oils in the engine and transmission, and installing a new aux trans oil cooler.

Attachments

Reactions: tizan and tom3
61 - 79 of 89 Posts