GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow...it was good to read all these replys as 300,000 miles and better is what I'm shooting for on my 2013 Equinox 2.4. I put around 160 miles a day commuting back and fourth from Ct to Ny. I bought it with around 20,000 miles on it and now I'm about to hit 60,000. All I've done since getting her is oil and filter changes every 5,000 miles and rotate the tires every other oil change. Oh, and a couple of weeks ago I put a Lucas fuel Injector cleaner before I filled my tank. Hope all I have to do is regular maintenance. :'(

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I would consider a drain/refill of the Trans fluid too.
Not a flush or a complete fluid swap.

but just drain (5 qts of about 11 come out).. and refill with 5.

And do this every so often
just to keep the fluid fresh and clean... and keep varnish from building up inside. (the trans filter cant be changed-- unless the the trans is removed and split open).

these have been my Equinox drain refills

these are the drain/refills on my Traverse.

I have another one coming up- as im now at 125,000 on my Traverse.
Im just waiting to find DEXRON VI on sale so I can stock up and change it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
MGMSEQUINOX said:
well back around the 1st of February my car got mad at me.

when I started it it gave me the dreaded service electrical sytem message .......aka (insert new alternator)

I guess after 228,500 it was tired.

you have to take the a/c compressor off the engine to get the alternator out and back in..........

1.5 hour learning experience.....

could do it now in about an hour.

retail $348
my cost $248

rebuilds were about $200

I went NEW
Don't you have to have the AC system recharged once you take it off?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
SamDSJ said:
Don't you have to have the AC system recharged once you take it off?
The hoses are flexible, so if all you do is unbolt the compressor and move it a few inches, everything is fine. I've done it several time to get room in the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Buggsy said:
The hoses are flexible, so if all you do is unbolt the compressor and move it a few inches, everything is fine. I've done it several time to get room in the engine.
Awesome. Good call. Didn't think of that. Just wondering cause I plan to do all my maintenance and I've yet to ever own a car that didn't need an alternator at some point.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
SamDSJ said:
Awesome. Good call. Didn't think of that. Just wondering cause I plan to do all my maintenance and I've yet to ever own a car that didn't need an alternator at some point.

Alternators are not something I see on here or the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave forum.... you know post on them failing.

My 2003 Trailblazer still has the factory alternator at 180,000...

The replacement alternators on the Traverse are pricey--
Ive seen them up to $400. for new OEM units.
New AC DELCOS are $310 or so.
Used units with 100K are about $80.
and remanufactured units are about $160....

recently a member sent me a link to an ebay auction- a small family run bussiness was cleaning out their place--- and put up BRAND NEW OEM alternators on ebay... for $104 shipping included. (and it is HEAVY!)

I jumped on that-- and bought one. as did several other members. (mine had no oxidation)
If I ever need it, Ill use it.
If I dont-- Ill simply relist it on ebay...

this is what his auction said...

Up for sale are new original equipment Denso(General Motors) Alternators.
I've been cleaning up and ran across these and decided to give some buyers an
incredible deal. They may have a little bit of oxidation as our warehouse is located in
humid Texas. Please call us if you have any questions. These units are the
same as what was originally put on your car from the factory. Our competitors
are selling cheap aftermarket replacements or remanufactured units.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Re: Will an Equinox go 300 thousand miles ???

Buggsy said:
I going to say, it will go as long as you are willing to take it. What do I mean by that? Let me explain:
I know both Honda guys and diesel guys (mostly Ford and Dodge). Both of these groups make the claim that their vehicles last forever. The diesel guys like to say that at 100K miles, the engine is just getting broke in. The Honda guys like to say "Man, this thing will last you forever!". Here is the kicker. Across both these groups of adamant supporters that their vehicle will last a life time, many of them are on their 2nd or 3rd engine, 3rd-ish set of heads and pistons from timing belt breaks, 2nd set of transmissions, ... the list really goes on.

So really, the car could last you a very long time, the question is really how far are you willing to take it or what are your limits? Personally, I'm aiming for about 150K miles where I'll trade it in.
In the diesel pickup world, that's a different animal...most of those are medium duty engines in a light truck application. Of course the engine will last forever, but the rest of the truck will fall apart. There are lots of guys on forums just like this, pertaining to diesel pickups, with over a million miles on their truck and not one thing done to the engine...but they have done five transmissions, six alternators, five pairs of balljoints, dozens of ujoints, yada, yada, yada....

I for one put 300k miles on just one of many Cummins I owned, had more money in one set of six injectors in that particular truck than probably a short block costs for the 2.4l in the Equinox...$3500.

I think most cars today are very capable of 300k miles with proper maintenance. But they aren't going to be completely trouble free, sensor here, injector there, solenoid here, switch there...the more computer controls, the more likely the chance of small issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I've come to the conclusion, based on personal experience, that *any* vehicle can go 200,000 miles with little trouble. My '02 Impala will cross 200,000 in two weeks, and at that point I'll have three vehicles with at least that many miles sitting on my driveway. So this doesn't impress me anymore.

Can any vehicle also go 300,000 miles (with little or no trouble)?

I'm going to say it depends on how those miles are put on that engine.

I think if you buy a vehicle brand new and front-load the mileage in the early years of its life by driving it 40-50,000 miles per year, you can probably get most any vehicle to 300,000 with little or no trouble.

Just crossed paths last week with a 60-something-year-old technician who paid us a visit to repair a mechanism on his company's rolling bookcase storage system (SpacePro). He rode in in his '98 Venture van with ~350,000 miles on the clock. Now THAT impressed me because those miles were put on "naturally" - over nearly 20 years of everyday use.

If you had a chassis dynamometer in your garage, and everyday while at work you left your new vehicle running on it at, say - 60 mph. That would be 540 miles per day. Assuming you gave this vehicle nights and weekends off, you'd put 2700 miles per week on that engine. At this rate, you'd reach 300,000 miles in just over two years.

How many engines do you think would make it (assuming, of course, you do all the requisite oil changes along the way, and none are 2.4L GM Ecotecs)? I think almost all of them would.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Colt Hero said:
If you had a chassis dynamometer in your garage, and everyday while at work you left your new vehicle running on it at, say - 60 mph. That would be 540 miles per day. Assuming you gave this vehicle nights and weekends off, you'd put 2700 miles per week on that engine. At this rate, you'd reach 300,000 miles in just over two years.
Under your scenario, you would probably have close to zero maintenance/repair expenses - other than oil/filters - during these 300K miles. With the constant rpm, and only daily startup/shutdown, I would assume that hardly anything on the car would fail. But, what would this prove, other than the fact that engines will run at least 300K miles ? Maybe you could suggest that GM do this - without disclosing the true operating facts, and then advertise it in a commercial about how great and trouble-free their vehicles are. LOL

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Rit said:
But, what would this prove, other than the fact that engines will run at least 300K miles ?
Yep - that's what it would prove - that the engine (which, for all intents and purposes IS the vehicle), could last for 300,000 miles of driving. I think most people don't think it's possible because you very rarely meet someone with a car with that kind of mileage on it. The technician guy I met the other day with the '98 Venture is probably only the 3rd or 4th person I've ever known to have a vehicle with over 300,000 verifiable miles on it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Under your scenario, you would probably have close to zero maintenance/repair expenses - other than oil/filters - during these 300K miles. With the constant rpm, and only daily startup/shutdown, I would assume that hardly anything on the car would fail. But, what would this prove, other than the fact that engines will run at least 300K miles ? Maybe you could suggest that GM do this - without disclosing the true operating facts, and then advertise it in a commercial about how great and trouble-free their vehicles are. LOL
Mercury did this many moons ago, back in the late 50's Mercs had a reputation as oil burners, even after they had fixed whatever the issue was, the reputation persisted so finally in 1965 they ran several especially equipped 1965 Comets with HO 289's, 4 speeds (doubt an auto would have held up) at 100 mph for 100,000 miles at Daytona International Speedway to tout the reliability of their engines. Was this real world? Uh no. Did it make a good marketing ploy and increase sales? Probably.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
update 260k
Amazing .. ! Have you written GM or Chevrolet yet?
If it makes 300K.. . where's the party. I think we should all buy. What say you fellow Equinox owners?

:cheers:

·
Registered
554 Posts
My last previous 4 vehicles went over 225k miles on original engine/trans. and were sold running fine. Salt zone kills the body before the drivetrain in my case.
How do I do it, maintain by the severe schedule not the normal schedule. Filters and synthetic fluids are cheaper than component and vehicle replacement in the long run.
My current high mile vehicle is a '09 Malibu 2.4 at 170k now. Other than front wheel hubs, steering angle sensor and a strut/shock suspension refresh that's all it's had. I expect the 'nox to due the same as well as the Tahoe.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
I am going to bring this thread back for one reason.........YES on Thursday it was 6 years 6 months and a day old.......AND TURNED 300,000still no motor work od tranny work.uses 2 or 3 quarts of oil in 5000 miles.starting to get the dreaded 2097 code........converter not efficient....guess I cant complain see picture

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am going to bring this thread back for one reason.........YES on Thursday it was 6 years 6 months and a day old.......AND TURNED 300,000still no motor work od tranny work.uses 2 or 3 quarts of oil in 5000 miles.starting to get the dreaded 2097 code........converter not efficient....guess I cant complain see picture
Congrats, posts like this make me happy, my wife puts on 30k a year roughly, and we were hoping to get 200k out of her purchased new 2012 outback without any major repairs, but the head gaskets went at 101k and since then there's been an issue every 10k miles, we finally got fed up at 165k, and my wife picked up her 18 Equinox diesel earlier this week. Hoping we can get 200k out of it without any major repairs, and if we can get 300k like you did she'll be one happy lady.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I won't make it to 300,000 miles

Am amazed you are at 300,000 miles on your 2013. I did some calculations on my 2014. Currently am 66 y.o. and drive just 3250 mi. per year so far. I still have not hit 15,000 after owning 50 months. So at 102 y.o. I will have 67,000 miles. So to get to 300,000 miles would take me to more than 200 years ! Maybe someone better at math can figure it out more accurately.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
correction.......its was 6 years 8 months and a day for 300,000 and its a 2012 fwd 2.4
This is truly amazing ... to do this with that 2.4L engine, in a "hot zone" year (2012) where some number of those engines were defective and failed.

But I'll say this about that kind of mileage - I do not believe 300,000 over 80 months is the same thing as 300,000 over, say, 17 years - which would be the typical amount of time to accrue that many miles. So while 300,000 miles certainly *sounds* impressive, since those miles were covered so quickly (at 45,000 miles per year), avoiding many seasonal changes, and because those miles *had* to be nearly all highway miles, I think there needs to be a qualifier that "normalizes" that number to 17 years - to put it in perspective. I mean, you could probably put one of these cars on a "rolling road", run it at 86 mph for 16 hours a day (shutting the engine off for the other eight), for a full year, and at that point you'd have over 500,000 miles on the engine. But that wouldn't be "real" mileage. In this case, you've got real miles, but almost in a "cheating" fashion that, I think, is a bit misleading.

I'm gonna say that this 300,000 miles is equivalent to around a base mileage of 120,000 miles (which is 80 months at a normalized 18,000 miles/yr pace) plus approximately half of the remaining 180,000 miles, or 90,000 miles. This leaves a "normalized" mileage of around 210,000 miles, which sounds about right to me. Off the top of my head I was gonna say 300k = ~200k

And *any* vehicle can go 200k.

But drive on. Only 200,000 miles to a half million. You can do that in less than 5 years (if you can stand it).

Then, we'll call that 140 months @ 18,000/yr pace = 210,000 miles + 145,000 = 355,000 miles normalized.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts