GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what you guys tow with your 4cyl AWD Nox/Terrain. I want to get the 4cyl but want to make sure it can tow around 1000lbs once in a while. Not too far of distance.

Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i think it is rated for 1500 lbs. My dealer said vehicle is same, except a cooler or two is not on 4 cyl. He felt 4cyl could tow as much as 6 cyl for short distances.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scottb said:
i think it is rated for 1500 lbs. My dealer said vehicle is same, except a cooler or two is not on 4 cyl. He felt 4cyl could tow as much as 6 cyl for short distances.
The 2.4 is fairly small for that heavy of truck, so I was wondering who tows small trailers or a small boat with it to see how it moves/handles it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i tow a small jetski around with my 2.4L AWD all the time during the summer. The whole thing doesnt weigh more than 500lbs and the distance never is much longer than 10 miles. Still it handles a trailer fine. I have pulled a 2500lbs trailer about a mile for my job. Acceleration was bad, but otherwise it was fine.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I don't tow with my Nox, but if I did it wouldn't be more than a single jetski or motorcycle. I don't think GM would rate the 4cyl for towing if it really weren't up to the task, and usually the "maximum" rating is conservative to avoid liability. You should be fine with 1000lbs total...providing you also don't have a full passenger/cargo area as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I pull a PJ Trailer 6x12 for my small lawnmowing/landscaping business. My Nox has the 2.4 engine. No problems to report. But I don't use it for the long haul, city :beer: use only.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The i4 is not equipped with the same transmission than the V6, so NO it cannot tow as much even for short distance.

scottb said:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't mean to be jerk or naysayer. But my dealer says it is same and you say it is not....Is there any way to get spec's for each? I would guess they are different part numbers. But that does not mean necessarily that one is more heavy duty then the other.

·
Registered
830 Posts
So i won't thrust your dealer if i was you.

The V6 have a 6T70 transmission and the I4 have a 6T45.

6T45 :
Type: 6-speed, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive with torque converter clutch, Front-wheel or all-wheel drive applicable.
Maximum Engine power 215 hp
Maximum engine torque: 232 lb-ft (315 Nm)
Engine Range: 1.4L-2.5L
Maximum Gearbox Torque: 277 lb.-ft.
Weight: N/A
Assembly Site: GMDAT (Korea), SGM (China)

6T70 :
Type: 6-speed, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transmission. Front-wheel or all-wheel drive applicable.
Maximum Engine power 315 hp
Maximum Engine Torque: 280 lb.-ft.
Engine Range: 3.0L-4.0L
Max Gearbox Torque: 462 lb.-ft.
Weight: 224 lbs.
Assembly Site: Warren, Michigan

scottb said:
I don't mean to be jerk or naysayer. But my dealer says it is same and you say it is not....Is there any way to get spec's for each? I would guess they are different part numbers. But that does not mean necessarily that one is more heavy duty then the other.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's what I am talking about...some facts. Thanks for your trouble. I will definitely take it under advisement and only tow the recommended 1,500 lbs.

·
Registered
315 Posts
scottb said:
Your right.....Its obvious they are the same, and GM is just trying to "scare" people by stating its different in order to sell the V6! Logic at its best!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tow snowmobiles a lot in the Winter with my 4cyl AWD. It does pretty well if you just take it easy. I usually travel in 4th gear at about 63MPH. My son and I towed two sleds and a car full of gear from Michigan to Wyoming. It was just under 40 hours round trip. We had to drop into 3rd going over the pass between Laramie and Cheyane. I would guess the trailer with two sleds at about 2200 lbs.

The most I've towed was my 4 place trailer with 3 sleds. That's likely about 2800 lbs. That trailer does have brakes which is nice on icy Michigan roads. Gas in free in the company car so I've never hesitated to load up and go. In 27 years I've only burned up one tranny. Just keep the rpm's up to avoid shifting keep a moderate pace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts