GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
The negatives vs a conventional automatic transmission.
1 The engine normally runs at a higher rpm, more noise, vibration, harshness, sometimes droning.
2 Sometimes chattering, slippage, overheating, jerking, shuddering, sudden loss of acceleration.
3 Typically cannot be repaired, cost of $3,000 - $5,000 to replace.
4 Typically don't last as long, many failures before 100,000 miles.
5 Not durable with higher torque output engines.
6 It's a mechanical steel chain/belt running in a pair of steel variable dimension pulleys. What more needs to be said?

Can I add one more? :)
7. CVT is basically the same as what is used in a snowmobile and/or some lawn tractors. So might be OK for something like one of those little "Smartcars". :grin:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can't really argue most of their points. I wonder if their feelings would change if they compared actual selling price instead of sticker. Yes if you compare sticker price to sticker price the GM twins are just not competitive really. Factor in the fact that they usually sell for 3-4k bellow sticker and suddenly they are a bargain. The Nissan Rogue is about the only other one that is as cheap as the GM twins and looks aside it's a terrible car. It aggravates me they don't test the Terrain too. In years past it was almost a carbon copy so I get not testing both. Now it's practically a totally different car.

I don't get the whole Mazda performance and love affair with handling. Yes it's the best looking and has the nicest interior but the base engine is a joke and honestly I can't tell much of a difference in handling. If anything the CRV seems to handle better. Due to lack of TQ the Mazda is constantly shuffling gears, if you are going to have an underpowered engine it needs a CVT or at least more than 6 gears.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I haven't looked at a Mazda CX-5 since 2015-16 so don't know how they are now, but the interior wasn't so great then. Also, what turned us off most were the option packages or lack thereof. Theses car reviews never really quite compare apples to apples. One thing about the Nissan Rogue. . . half the time I get near one driving out of a parking lot they have this very prominent noisy "whine". Is that normal or just the CVT going out?

I liked the Mazda CX-5 somewhat in 2015, but in there was no way to get all the features we got in our Equinox LTZ for the money in the Mazda, and even some of the standard feature in an Equinox LT were not available in the CX-5. Even when things like leather and power seats were desired, Mazda fell short and only offered limited adjustment and on some trims , only the drivers side. Plus, Mazda had nothing to compare with the MyLink features and ease of operation.
I was attracted to Mazda for the SkyActiv engine tech and still think they have something there, but am puzzled about how spirited or lack thereof the drive train really is. Motortrend and Car & Driver just do not do the best job of comparing vehicles. And they are still stuck on the Asian/Euro fanboi push.

Heck, U.S. News & World does better at comparing and reviewing cars and trucks. Their reviews can compare actual trim levels and features.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you read the article the stuff they complain about on the Equinox is joke. One is you have to activate the AWD, so what, AWD doesn't need to be activated all the time. Second majority of these Cuv's are not even bought with AWD. If you look at the equinox dash its the cleanest to look at. I remember when GM didn't use to do this and got killed by all the magazines. Now that they have less buttons and easy to use controls they still don't like it.

Motortrend is expiring soon and I won't renew anymore.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If you read the article the stuff they complain about on the Equinox is joke. One is you have to activate the AWD, so what, AWD doesn't need to be activated all the time. Second majority of these Cuv's are not even bought with AWD. If you look at the equinox dash its the cleanest to look at. I remember when GM didn't use to do this and got killed by all the magazines. Now that they have less buttons and easy to use controls they still don't like it.

Motortrend is expiring soon and I won't renew anymore.
Regarding the review bashing the Equinox AWD because it provides the choice to be switched on/off. I perceive this to be a desirable feature, not a fault.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
kowal_joe;281941 Motortrend is expiring soon and I won't renew anymore.[/QUOTE said:
I am signed up for Motortrend until July 2023. Every year that I attend the local Quad City Regional Auto Show; a Motortrend sponsored auto show, I sign up for the free subscription to Motortrend Magazine. Apparently I signed too many cards, as I'm four years ahead.

I still enjoy the magazine, you just have to realize, what is published is often someones opinion and not necessarily factual.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The negatives vs a conventional automatic transmission.
1 The engine normally runs at a higher rpm, more noise, vibration, harshness, sometimes droning.
2 Sometimes chattering, slippage, overheating, jerking, shuddering, sudden loss of acceleration.
3 Typically cannot be repaired, cost of $3,000 - $5,000 to replace.
4 Typically don't last as long, many failures before 100,000 miles.
5 Not durable with higher torque output engines.
6 It's a mechanical steel chain/belt running in a pair of steel variable dimension pulleys. What more needs to be said?
Thank you. Very informative. Why is it that more manufacturers have gone to CVTs over the past few years?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you. Very informative. Why is it that more manufacturers have gone to CVTs over the past few years?
The CVT works very well with smaller displacement, lower horsepower, lower torque engines to keep them in the optimum power band for the best performance and economy. The fact that they can achieve better fuel economy than a conventional auto trans is why we see so many manufacturers going to them. They don't have fixed gear ratios, but are infinitely variable depending on torque and power demands.

Google the topic, there is a lot of CVT info both pro and con.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts

The use of CVT by some car makers . . . GM has few to none to date - - Is because they are smaller is size and weight, no individual gears, and . .. drum roll . . . much cheaper to manufacture. As garec01 states, they may work fine for small vehicles with low loads. Even then, Nissan, Kia, Honda and others have had many failures with CVT even in small cars.

CVT has been around a long time. . . just not for use in cars. Their very design limits the power and torque range they can be used for. So far, they have not demonstrated long term reliability or durability.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Regarding the review bashing the Equinox AWD because it provides the choice to be switched on/off. I perceive this to be a desirable feature, not a fault.

I also think the option to turn off AWD is great feature.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had many CRV's , matter of fact this year makes it 1 year of leasing a 2019 CRV EX. I just bought a 2019 Equinox LT a few days ago.

CRV:
Pro: like my 6th one, and they are like Apple phones, Apple gives a little something every year, but Android had that piece years ago. Finally this is the CRV to buy, apple car play, adaptive cruise control, emergency breaking, land departure warning to make a few, and all standard in EX.I won't go on....
Cons: noisey, my body is tired after driving in traffic for an hour, touch screen works but could be built better. Expensive to buy so I lease, Honda link app sucks since 2016 so does the nav app. Oil dilution is my favorite, known issue, but no recall. Nice reliable honda is what I say.

Throw in: Nissan CVT's suck, and Jeep is junk since FIAT bought Chrysler.

Equinox:
Pro: The ride, is much nicer then the CRV, the seats hug you and are more comfy, 29MPG is something I would only expect on my CRV, much quieter when driving, touch screen works great, and the Chevy app works nice. Price! Had like $10k off this thing.
Cons: At first I couldn't get over this bezel on my radio, looks "rental" like. Going to see what I can do or get the bigger GM radio. Too many packages makes this price go up fast. No need for that. Lack the sunroof, but I use that in the spring, and fall when driving around town. My Nox if for the highway. Foglights should be standard when I go to LT. Cargo cover i have to buy? CRV comes with it.

I haven't nailed the pedal on my Nox since it has 100 miles on it now, but I can tell it works for me. Will see when that time comes. My CRV can drop it like it's 🔥 when I drop it to Sport mode and nail it, just takes off.
Even my wife loves the Nox and she drives the CRV more then me. I dont think it should be in last but I can only compare to what I have driven.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Motortrend is good for lining the bottom of a bird cage. Like many have stated, only you can decide what CUV meets your needs and expectations for your dollar. I would never go by a magazine review. I've driven some of the ones on the list and would not agree that the Nox is the worst of the bunch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been a Mitsubishi fangirl for years (owned way too many, although sold my favourite (09 Ralliart hatch) after having my first child, I was set on buying an Outlander for my next car, but I also tossed up between the CRV, X-trail and a Rav4... Most recently I nearly decided to settle for an ASX because I had it for a couple of weeks after my Lancer was in for repairs (longest 4 weeks of my life) but, we had a lower spec Equinox for the weekend and we both fell in love, I honestly couldn't decide between the Outlander & Equinox, but the equinox has a ridiculous amount of space, also loved it for the get up & go (Outlander was so sluggish).

If money wasn't an issue, I'd be an in Audi or Acadia :p

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I have been a Mitsubishi fangirl for years (owned way too many, although sold my favourite (09 Ralliart hatch) after having my first child, I was set on buying an Outlander for my next car, but I also tossed up between the CRV, X-trail and a Rav4... Most recently I nearly decided to settle for an ASX because I had it for a couple of weeks after my Lancer was in for repairs (longest 4 weeks of my life) but, we had a lower spec Equinox for the weekend and we both fell in love, I honestly couldn't decide between the Outlander & Equinox, but the equinox has a ridiculous amount of space, also loved it for the get up & go (Outlander was so sluggish).

If money wasn't an issue, I'd be an in Audi or Acadia :p

Hey Tiff . . I think Mitsubishi had some nice models over the years here also and I think they are more of a presence in Australia then currently in the U.S.A. They used to be quite popular especially in the Eclipse models 20 years ago or so. Now, we do not see many here.

What's interesting is that Chrysler/Dodge were in partnership with Mitsubishi back in the last 1980s and early 90's. We had a 1989 Dodge Caravan with a great Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 engine. That little 3 valve (per cylinder) V6 engine was both a spirited power plant and also got +30 MPG on highway trips. The later Chrysler 3.3L V6 was a dog, ran out of steam when passing, and was good for only 24 to 25 MPG on a good day.
Not sure what Acadia sells for down under, but we picked up our 2019 Acadia SLT-1 for under $31K U.S.D.

I'm sad that GM has pulled out of Holden. We got some great cars exported to here from Holden over the past years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Tiff . . I think Mitsubishi had some nice models over the years here also and I think they are more of a presence in Australia then currently in the U.S.A. They used to be quite popular especially in the Eclipse models 20 years ago or so. Now, we do not see many here.

What's interesting is that Chrysler/Dodge were in partnership with Mitsubishi back in the last 1980s and early 90's. We had a 1989 Dodge Caravan with a great Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 engine. That little 3 valve (per cylinder) V6 engine was both a spirited power plant and also got +30 MPG on highway trips. The later Chrysler 3.3L V6 was a dog, ran out of steam when passing, and was good for only 24 to 25 MPG on a good day.
Not sure what Acadia sells for down under, but we picked up our 2019 Acadia SLT-1 for under $31K U.S.D.

I'm sad that GM has pulled out of Holden. We got some great cars exported to here from Holden over the past years.

Oh absolutely! The Evo's were one of my favourite cars! But at this rate, that'll be when the kids grow up and move out lol. I loved the GTO & the eclipse as well, and was so disappointed when they decided to bring out the "Eclipse cross" I was like seriously?! I was super sad when they also announced that they were no longer making Evo's :(

That's so cheap! Here they are around $50K starting price, well they were when we were looking, the equinox's were also out of price range as well, but we found one that was an ex-rental for $21K with 19,000 k's on it, I am jealous of you guys though, the Tahoe is an amazing SUV too! Something we don't get in Aus :(

21 - 36 of 36 Posts