GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Agree. . . no matter the car brand, there seem to be paint shade issues at times.
It does seem that some colors have more potential issues. Certainly whites would be more noticeable in color shades. But other colors as well as metallic paints that can be problematic.

One more thing is the individual. It turns out some people have more sensitive or higher number of the color sensing "cones" in the eye. So those individuals will more likely tend to perceive differences in color shades than others might.
So dealer service managers or techs may not see what others see.

Here are some links explaining this, but far from all inclusive to other factors in the human eye's ability to perceive colors.
Other articles conclude some people have more cones to perceive color than others whether male or female.
My wife often asks me along to a paint or fabric store because as she states it, "You seem to have good color memory and see more color shades".
I also do not like fresh cilantro which is a whole other story. It turns out there are genes that some people have affecting how they perceive tastes. You don't want to know what fresh cilantro tastes like to me. . . LOL

How Do We See Light? | Ask A Biologist

These may be better tests of color shade perception -
Farnsworth-Munsell 100 HueColor Vision Test – Colblindor
Free Online Color Challenge and Hue Test; X-Rite

Test: How many colors you see can determine how many color receptors you have

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
I suspect that the inspector that looked over the white car will only see one color on the graduated color stripe. LOL

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Well he called back and said that there is nothing they can do for me because (now this is a good one)....I still have a bumper to bumper warranty ! He said that when the warranty is up they would give me a 10% off MSRP on a new one coupon ! I explained to him that if he did it now the dealer would have a very low mileage "lease return" or what ever story the dealer wanted to make up (owner died etc) that someone without my color sight would want to buy.
I asked if he could have Mary call me (why not right) and he said that would be impossible to which I laughed....I told him that the person before told me there was no one over her and here I was talking to him.
Anyway he is going to see if the district manager in a different county would want to do anything up north in the state and at same time see if the engineers will see if the car can be repainted to match ! I'm not making this up....he again said that it is possible it is a design done on purpose !
Honestly I don't think I will get anywhere but I will continue to a pain in their ass if nothing else.....and I will continue my quest to speak to the woman behind the curtain ! Stay tuned for more !....The dealer where I bought this was Barlow in Manahawkin NJ and they are offering no help whatsoever .....I would avoid them.

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Done on purpose !!!! Love that one. They must think that customers are idiots. You almost have enough material to write an interesting book.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Done on purpose !!!! Love that one. They must think that customers are idiots. You almost have enough material to write an interesting book.
Sad to hear things like this, but seems to be par no matter what car (appliance, TV, etc) make a person buys. I particularly am disappointed in GM ( or even General Electric ;)) and attention to product detail and service.
Many dealers today seem to talk the talk with all the service mailings I get for great customer service, but getting the customer satisfaction is another matter. I feel the same about home and car insurance companies. Funny or entertaining commercials, but try and get a claim fairly processed.
What the heck does an emu have to do with insurance? ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
In my past life I was a commercial,music video,documentary and feature film editor and have been in thousands and thousands of color correct sessions so I do have an eye for color nuisances .....I will never ever buy any car without seeing it first in person.....lesson learned ,but never had to think of this in the past ! Like I said I vow to become a constant polite pain in their ass ever....I remember years ago we hired a guy that kept coming every week to see if there were any openings in our small company.....we hired him to stop him from bothering us every week lolol and he turned out to be a great employee....persistence .....I will continue this !

·
Registered
262 Posts
In all fairness, the dealer didn't build the car they simply sold it. They are somewhat limited to what they can repair under warranty without approval from GM. Typically paint work, regardless of manufacturer, requires approval from corporate before it will be repaired under warranty.

Back in 1990, I had a Chevy Beretta in that notorious medium blue color. You know, the color that liked to peel. The hood was starting to show signs of peeling so I took the car to the dealer. The service manager looked at it, acknowledged it was starting down the familiar road, acknowledged that it was obvious I was properly caring for the car, and said he would reach out to corporate to see if they would approve repainting the hood under warranty (there was a TSB at the time for that color as well.) GM corporate denied the request to repaint the hood. The dealer's hands were tied. The hood didn't get any worse while I owned the car, and I was able to trade the vehicle without issue two years later on a non-GM vehicle.

In 1998 I bought a new Pontiac Grand Prix. It was a mechanical nightmare that the dealer flat-out refused to work on. It had sporadic electrical issues as well as a random no-start problem. It also had a bad rattle in the dash within the first month of owning it. They said they couldn't guarantee that fixing the rattle wouldn't cause more to show up, so they were reluctant. They said they wouldn't even begin to diagnose the electrical and no-start problems until a service engine soon light came on and stayed lit. They literally said do not call them back until the light comes on. I would classify that as a bad dealer. In that case they refused to even look at the car.

I kept the Pontiac for 6 months while more and more little issues started to surface, and finally gave up and traded it. During the trade appraisal, the dealer stated the paint work on the Grand Prix was "suspect". I told him I bought the car new just 6 months ago and it was the original paint. He was adamant that it was not original and the hood didn't match the rest of the car, or if it really was original that it was lousy paint work from the factory.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
In my past life I was a commercial,music video,documentary and feature film editor and have been in thousands and thousands of color correct sessions so I do have an eye for color nuisances .....I will never ever buy any car without seeing it first in person.....lesson learned ,but never had to think of this in the past ! Like I said I vow to become a constant polite pain in their ass ever....I remember years ago we hired a guy that kept coming every week to see if there were any openings in our small company.....we hired him to stop him from bothering us every week lolol and he turned out to be a great employee....persistence .....I will continue this !
Hope a satisfactory resolution results. . . sooner rather than later.

Uh-oh . .. . let's not talk 4K UHD TV calibrations. . . . lol. Besides proper settings. . . I have 2 reference disc movies I like to use for final evaluation. The proof is in the pudding.
Not to mention HDR . . . Dolbyvision . . . nits. .. .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
In all fairness, the dealer didn't build the car they simply sold it. They are somewhat limited to what they can repair under warranty without approval from GM. Typically paint work, regardless of manufacturer, requires approval from corporate before it will be repaired under warranty.

Back in 1990, I had a Chevy Beretta in that notorious medium blue color. You know, the color that liked to peel. The hood was starting to show signs of peeling so I took the car to the dealer. The service manager looked at it, acknowledged it was starting down the familiar road, acknowledged that it was obvious I was properly caring for the car, and said he would reach out to corporate to see if they would approve repainting the hood under warranty (there was a TSB at the time for that color as well.) GM corporate denied the request to repaint the hood. The dealer's hands were tied. The hood didn't get any worse while I owned the car, and I was able to trade the vehicle without issue two years later on a non-GM vehicle.

In 1998 I bought a new Pontiac Grand Prix. It was a mechanical nightmare that the dealer flat-out refused to work on. It had sporadic electrical issues as well as a random no-start problem. It also had a bad rattle in the dash within the first month of owning it. They said they couldn't guarantee that fixing the rattle wouldn't cause more to show up, so they were reluctant. They said they wouldn't even begin to diagnose the electrical and no-start problems until a service engine soon light came on and stayed lit. They literally said do not call them back until the light comes on. I would classify that as a bad dealer. In that case they refused to even look at the car.

I kept the Pontiac for 6 months while more and more little issues started to surface, and finally gave up and traded it. During the trade appraisal, the dealer stated the paint work on the Grand Prix was "suspect". I told him I bought the car new just 6 months ago and it was the original paint. He was adamant that it was not original and the hood didn't match the rest of the car, or if it really was original that it was lousy paint work from the factory.
Well when a dealer that I did not buy it from actually offered me more as a trade in than the dealer I bought it from did....that to me makes Barlow Buick GMC a sucky dealer in my book.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well when a dealer that I did not buy it from actually offered me more as a trade in than the dealer I bought it from did....that to me makes Barlow Buick GMC leavea sucky dealer in my book.
Trade in offers always vary by dealer and should always be negotiated. Every dealer has different goals and sales targets and will adjust trade values to hit those targets.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
No, mine is all Tri Frost but 3 different shades of it except when you open the doors the door jams are regular white !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Well I got the call today and they are saying until warranty is up they will not give me help with anything but ....will call me tomorrow or Monday to let me know if they will repaint it for me ! Makes no sense but I will wait and see what happens......

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Yeah, that makes zero sense.

I was looking inside the door frames on my Cajun red tintcoat, and they used the same paint that was used on the outside body panels. Weird that on yours they switched paints.

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
...during the daytime !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Ohhh yeah....daylight for sure.....I saw a Black Denali today at Lowes and the paint seemed to match perfect.....

101 - 120 of 123 Posts