GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2020 Terrain Denali with the White Frost Tricoat paint.....I am in discussion with GMC because the paint in most lights does not match on the metal and plastic surfaces......they are telling me that it is normal !
I paid almost $1,000.00 more for this color and I have not seen this problem with other colors.....anyone have same issue or any advice?

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
I gave heard people say that is the case. I wouldn't be happy, but unfortunately, it may be true.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On my 2019 Denali in Summit White this is also the case. The white is slightly different between the vehicle body and the painted molding in the Denali trim.

·
Registered
312 Posts
OP, it is normal. I had an 04 Bonneville with the white tri-coat and in bright sunlight the painted front and rear plastic bumpers didn't pick up the gold metal flake like the metal surfaces did. It's beautiful paint when it's new, however your initial concern is the least of your worries. The tri-coat is just what the name implies, base coat, metal flake coat, then the clear coat. With this paint, on small chips touch up paint is less than mediocre, and heaven forbid you need a larger repair, body shops will bitch and moan and attack your wallet accordingly and make you wonder why GM didn't pay you that $1000 instead of the other way around.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's not just the various white colors. My Blue Steel Metalic does the same thing. Depending on the brightness and angle of the light source, the bumpers and body may or may not match exactly. The brightness and angle of the light source even changes the color of the vehicle from blue to purple to gray/charcoal, the latter being only with dim lighting.

The bumpers are painted separately, and possibly even at different facilities, from the metal body components. My guess is that the variance in observed color is due to differerent dye lots being mixed for the paint used by the paint robots.

Reactions: Pleatia

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I am going to continue my quest,if nothing else I think I will try to get my $1,000.00 back......my first Corvette had
Millennium yellow paint ...a triple paint process and 2nd Corvette was the triple paint process LeMans Blue paint and everything matches....composite panels and flexible nose and back.

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
I suspect ypu will not have much success getting amy money back, especially $1G. But it doesn't cost anything to ask !

·
Registered
976 Posts
The bumpers are painted separately, and possibly even at different facilities, from the metal body components. My guess is that the variance in observed color is due to differerent dye lots being mixed for the paint used by the paint robots.
You get a difference when painting plastic and metal even if it's at the same plant.
Especially true if the plastic has a slight texture like the plastic that runs along the bottom.
I would rather have a slight color difference instead of the unpainted black plastic I have.
I paid $1,000 extra and they didn't even paint all of the car :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A good friend told me.....if you don't ask.....you don't get !
I talked with someone today at GMC and he asked what I wanted.....I told him I wanted another 2020 Denali with everything I have in a different color that matches......he didn't laugh or say no...he said he would get back to me Tuesday, I'm sure they will not do that but hey....he asked ! lol

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Wow, good luck. At least they didn't laugh in your face.

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
tri-coat is just what the name implies, base coat, metal flake coat, then the clear coat.
I’m confused. I thought any paint job had a base coat and a clear coat? Or is the grey primer coat not considered the “base” coat?

I always thought “tri-coat” meant three coats of the final color prior to applying the clear coat “sealer” ... but that any car got two coats because you couldn’t cover the primer in a single coat anyway.

So ... “tri-coat” was just one extra “finish” coat before the clear coat, no?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Each manufacturer is different but a tri-coat refers to first a primer.
Then base coat (color), mid coat (transparent color) and last is the clear coat (sealer).

That is not set in stone, my 2014 Equinox came from the factory with the Crystal Red Tint Coat color.
This is an original GM color that adds red tinting to the clear coat.
So you can see there are some variables.
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I'll let you know what they say.....the person I did talk to was impressed when he looked up the vin and saw that there was nothing that this Terrain did not have ! .....Then I told him that hey had balls to charge me more for paint that did not match....thank you garagerog lol

·
Registered
976 Posts
Each manufacturer is different but a tri-coat refers to first a primer.
Then base coat (color), mid coat (transparent color) and last is the clear coat (sealer).

That is not set in stone, my 2014 Equinox came from the factory with the Crystal Red Tint Coat color.
This is an original GM color that adds red tinting to the clear coat.
So you can see there are some variables.
[/QUOTE]

The Red Tint Coat is one less step than a Tri-Coat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yea pretty common for the bumpers and metal to not match especially in white. I had a Kia Optima once that had the frosted white and the mismatch was real bad even in the daylight. Darker colors do better but you will never get an exact match with dissimilar materials.

·
Registered
238 Posts
toyota's and Honda's are really bad with this. my friends just bought a new CR-V and its obvious in sun light. Unless the bumper and the rest of the car is painted in the same factory and at the same time you are going to see differences.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Terrain Denali with the White Frost Tricoat paint.....I am in discussion with GMC because the taint in most lights does not match on the metal and plastic surfaces......they are telling me that it is normal !
I paid almost $1,000.00 more for this color and I have not seen this problem with other colors.....anyone have same issue or any advice?
I had damage to my car one time that involved metal and plastic front bumper and the painting experts who fixed it said that normally from the factory those two don’t match but they could make it match doing a secondary painting

1 - 20 of 123 Posts