GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the equinox family. I just purchased a 2009 and traded in two real clunkers. I am still a little nervous since every noise on my other two vehicles usually means something is wrong. I started hearing a sound from the rear whenever I slow the car down for a turn or a yield and then accelerate. It is a slight whine from the rear. It only last about a second. It has only done that two or three times. I was told that when the car is stopped or slows down it will launch off of the rear wheels and you might hear a slight noise. I am wondering if I am being paranoid or does this sound mean that something might be wrong. Thank you.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
airman19allica said:
I am wondering if I am being paranoid or does this sound mean that something might be wrong. Thank you.
Is it AWD ? Could "possibly" be low rear differential fluid level, or a bearing or gear in the rear differential. I would bring it to a mechanic and have it diagnosed soon. Did you buy it from a private party, or a dealer which may include a warranty ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an AWD and I got it from a dealer with a warranty. If its one of the things you described would I also get a shimmy or clunking sound.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hhmm not specific to Equinox but in similar GM AWD system a moan/groan at slow speed/acceleration might indicate a low fluid condition in rear. A whine sound that changes with speed or road conditions would make me think about wheel bearing.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would recommend taking the vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Could be a bearing. Is it a constant whine or an oscillating whine?
As long as you have a warrenty, take it to the dealer, earlier the better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts