GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while the Terrain is in for the body work (hit a deer about a month ago) they gave me a Ford Escape to drive. I can't even begin to say how much I miss the Terrain. I don't know if I can drive this thing until Friday.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
What year is the Escape? I test drove a 2009 when I was small suv shopping and didn't think it was all that bad...a little more bouncy ride because of the shorter wheelbase, and the interior wasn't anything special, but overall not too shabby. (liked the body style, and dual opening hatch) However, certainly not worth the asking price when compared to the competition. (especially the Nox/Terrain)

·
Registered
698 Posts
I was dead-set on the Escape before a colleague pointed out the Terrain on the internet last July. I didn't think it was too bad a vehicle with the V6. Loved the nav/Sync integration and the A2DP bluetooth streaming that our vehicles lack. Like NoxNoob I also loved the liftgate flipper glass.

It would have been much cheaper too, although it's now become quite dated and looks odd sitting next to the newest Flex, Edge and the new Exploder.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not to turn this into a discussion about the Escape, but I have a 2009 Limited Escape. It was my first Ford since 1974. I really like my Escape with the V6 and Sync. Plenty of power and great gas mileage. The quality's been very good and I've only had a few minor problems with it. Dealer service has also been very good.

But anyway, we're probably going to buy a 2011 Terrain and that's why I'm here. It will be my wife's SUV, and we both really like it. If the Terrain would have been around when I bought my Escape, and GM wasn't in dire straights like they were back then, I would have bought the Terrain hands down. After seeing and driving the Terrain, it is a far nicer SUV than the Escape. But, my Escape was pretty cheap with all the Ford discounts.

I'll keep my Escape for another year or so. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Explorer at the end of this year. Who know, maybe we'll end up with two Terrains!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 2010. My main problem with the Escape is the room inside. I am 6'4" and I just don't fit like I do in the Terrain. My Terrain also provides a much nicer ride in my opinion.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My Terrain was in the body shop from the 1st to the 22nd of July and I was blessed with a Matrix as my loaner vehicle.
God am I glad to have the Terrain back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I received a call from the body shop that my Terrain is ready. Received the call too late to be able to pick it up before they closed, but decided to drive over (on the off chance they were open a bit late). They were closed but the vehicle was outside. All I can say now is that I felt like crying when I saw their work. This is a very big Chevy / GMC dealer in the Montreal area.

The fender that had the slight dent now has a very noticeable paint bubble / defect. The plastic on the front end has a noticeable crack and some black marks from where they heated it to have it shape back properly. The rubber around one of the head lights is actually sticking out about 1 cm at the top of the head light.

This vehicle was less than 6 weeks old when the unfortunate incident with the deer occurred. It is now not yet 3 months old. The estimate to fix was $4000. At this point I would assume that I could have expected the vehicle to be repaired to look as it was when it was new. Am I out of line here? Any suggestions? I left a message for my insurance adjuster tonight to advise that I am less than satisfied.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No! You're not out of line!

If repaired properly, you shouldn't be able to tell it was even damaged. SHAME on that body shop!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine had the same little rubber piece sticking up above the headlight that was replaced, I poked it with my house key and it it just tucked in where it was suposed to be.
I am very happy with the paint work they did on mine, I can't tell it was repainted.
I was suprised by how many parts they were able to re-use considering the first insurance estimate was over $10,000 and the final bill for the insurance company ended up being almost $13,000 after they found radiator damage. They reused both fog lights and the passanger side headlight assemble as well as the whole lower air dam. They also got me the chrome SLT grill in place of the black one that came standard on my SLE, they are both the same price through the parts department aparantly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Terrain said:
No! You're not out of line!

If repaired properly, you shouldn't be able to tell it was even damaged. SHAME on that body shop!
I agree!!! Don't sign off till it looks like it rolled off the line.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went in this morning and had one of the adjustors come out to take a look. He looked to be very embarrassed about what he saw. They will keep the Terrain and fix it properly and he will be the one to sign off on it before they call me. Here's hoping that it gets fixed properly thus time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Seveniron said:
Went in this morning and had one of the adjustors come out to take a look. He looked to be very embarrassed about what he saw. They will keep the Terrain and fix it properly and he will be the one to sign off on it before they call me. Here's hoping that it gets fixed properly thus time.
That is great. keep on them. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked it up this afternoon, and after one more small glitch (a bit of paint and a scrape on the headlight cover which they replaced when I pointed it out) I can now say that it looks like the day I picked up from the dealer. So happy to have it back, and I have sprayer deer repellent on it as to not attract more wildlife.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WI-Terrain said:
Sprayer deer repellant?
Should have read "sprayed". Of course there is no such thing, just me saying I dont want to hit any more wildlife with my Terrain.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's and omen. If the loaner they gave you would have been a fantastic ride, your's would have been fixed in no time and perfect. Since you got a ride that was much worse than yours, it took longer to fix. It's odd how life works that way :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seveniron said:
Should have read "sprayed". Of course there is no such thing, just me saying I dont want to hit any more wildlife with my Terrain.
I figured... it had that "blinker fluid" sound to it. ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey Seveniron, glad to hear you're now happy with the body work. I also had a run in with a local body shop where not only did they do poor work, but the car was actually damaged while in their possession. I eventually got through it, but it got a bit ugly at the very end. I guess quality repairs are getting hard to come unless you put up a fuss.

Funny, I'm also 6'4" and I'm comfortable in my Escape. However, it doesn't have nearly the leg room of the Terrain. But the Terrain competes more with the Ford Edge than the Escape, at least in price.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DavidPJ said:
Funny, I'm also 6'4" and I'm comfortable in my Escape. However, it doesn't have nearly the leg room of the Terrain. But the Terrain competes more with the Ford Edge than the Escape, at least in price.
That was exactly my problem, the leg room. I just was not comfortable at all and could not have gone a long distance like that. For short distances around the city, it was OK. The leg room in the Terrain was a big selling point for me. First vehicle I have ever been in that I don't have the seat all the way back. It's close, but not all the way back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts