GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

When you change your Terrain/Equinox motor oil, which do you use or plan on using?

• Penzoil Platinum Synthetic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Penzoil Ultra Synthetic

• Royal Purple Synthetic

• Havoline Synthetic

• Kendall Synthetic

• Castrol Synthetic Blend

• Conventional Petroleum Based

• Whatever Dealer/Shop Provides

• Unsure

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a quick poll on which motor oil you use or plan to use in your Terrain or Equinox. Reply back if you want other brands added to the poll. This pole is for future oil changes, not the conventional oil that comes with the vehicles.

·
Registered
441 Posts
PP...the only oil IMO.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the 2011 and the owners manual says they require dexos specs oil. The only makers of this so far that I could find are Pennzoil and Quaker state, both full synthetic.

·
Registered
977 Posts
They just opened an Advance Auto parts near me. They had a deal for $19.99 for a Puroltor filter (Pure One) and Castrol Syn blend. So I purchased that combo. I use what I can get a good sale on

·
Registered
626 Posts
hfdad said:
I have the 2011 and the owners manual says they require dexos specs oil. The only makers of this so far that I could find are Pennzoil and Quaker state, both full synthetic.
Have you been able to actually locate a source for dexos oil? I still can't find it in stores.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
GM says that until dexos1 becomes available more readily you can use synthetic for a stop gap.

For me, its only PP for the Terrain and G8. Can grab it at any auto store and for the price, its a dang great oil.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In this months issue of Amsoil magazine they state the new XL oil is fully GM6094M compatable. And at less then $6/qt that is my prefered brand.

·
Registered
207 Posts
mnussbaum said:
Have you been able to actually locate a source for dexos oil? I still can't find it in stores.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-30.aspx

Mobil 1 licensed for dexos(TM)specifications.
ExxonMobil signed an agreement to continue as the lubricants supplier for the U.S. General Motors' dealer network for the next five years. In addition, ExxonMobil announced that a number of its key products, including Mobil 1, are now officially dexos(TM) licensed worldwide.
Pennzoil Platinum is dexos 1 approved
http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum
http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/DexosPressRelease.pdf

Quaker State
http://www.quakerstate.com/#/news?story=1466
Quaker State® Ultimate Durability™ Exceeds New Oil Spec For 2011 GM Vehicles
General Motors is introducing dexos1™, a new global engine oil specification for gasoline and E85-fueled vehicles, in all 2011 model year Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles.
It might take a bit of time before the bottles have the dexos1 symbol on them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks for those links. From the wording on the websites it looks like the existing formulations of Mobil 1 and Quaker State oils were certified as meeting the spec, however, the Pennzoil press release specifically mentions "new, next-generation" Pennzoil Platinum. So I'd feel comfortable with the Mobil and Quaker State bottles even without a dexos logo.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Your Welcome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am an Amsoil Man. I highly recommend their products and their extended drain intervals. They already have two Dexos 1 motor oils and the rest of their line is expected to be dexos 1 certified this spring.

I will only put Amsoil in my vehicles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
GARYD said:
In this months issue of Amsoil magazine they state the new XL oil is fully GM6094M compatable. And at less then $6/qt that is my prefered brand.
Do you have any recommendation how a guy can get amsoil oil?

·
Registered
978 Posts
As with my other Chevy...it's gonna be Mobil 1 at the first change

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
007, sorry, I thought I answered your post, but see that I didn't. You can go to Amsoil's website and get the address of a local dealer. Some auto dealerships and Harley dealerships also sell Amsoil. Also check some of the fast change shops in your area.
I purchased a dealer membership so I can get oil a cheaper because I use a lot of oil and I really love the additive packages they use...especially for long term storage. Their main warehouse is just down the street from my office so I save on shipping too.
If you use a lot of oil you can purchase a dealer or a preferred customer package.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
DavidPJ said:
Reply back if you want other brands added to the poll.
Amsoil all the way, many years ago it was Mobil1, then upgraded to Royal Purple and then finally graduated with Amsoil. Just couldn't justify the cost of RP. :) [/color]

·
Registered
977 Posts
Nice deal at Advance auto. Castrol Syn Blend and a Pureone oil filter for $19.99. It only costs $2 more that the regular organic Castrol oil and a standard Purolator filter. Exceeds GM 6094 spec which is specified for the 2010 models

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've added a few more oil choices to the poll. To be fair and accurate, I had to reset the votes. I started again with my vote for Penzoil Platinum.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
PJ, you forgot one........Don't care. ;D ;D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GARYD said:
PJ, you forgot one........Don't care. ;D ;D
That response would be in the "whatever dealer/shop provides" category.

Dave

1 - 20 of 189 Posts