GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been looking at getting either an Escape or the Equinox. Although the Equinox is a little more cash (even for GM employee discount) I like the vehicle. I want the 2LT but I'm now trying to decide which power-train would be best given what I need:

95% city driving
never more than 2 people in vehicle
Want to tow around max 1300lbs on occasion (up to 350kms distance)
Want good gas mileage
Will be all year driving (southern Ontario)

I've gone forever with a FWD car and snow tires in the winter and never had an issue, but I'm thinking the AWD might be nice in the snow as well as towing. What do you guys thing would make sense for what I've listed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Other than the towing part, the 2WD 4cyl sounds perfect for you. What exactly would you be towing? Also, I've found the FWD combined with the traction control/stability control works very well in snow/ice, and if you had winter tires then AWD wouldn't be needed in most situations. Unless you are talking about the new Escape which ahsn't been released yet....the design is over a decade old and really doesn't hold up well to the newer Nox/Terrain. I test drove a loaded 09 Escape before I bought my Nox and found it just ok...the V6 really didn't feel much more powerful than the 4cyl Nox, and the ride was a little choppier. Not to mention the interior doesn't match up well at all..

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
NoobNox said:
Other than the towing part, the 2WD 4cyl sounds perfect for you. What exactly would you be towing? Also, I've found the FWD combined with the traction control/stability control works very well in snow/ice, and if you had winter tires then AWD wouldn't be needed in most situations.
My feelings exacly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NoobNox said:
Other than the towing part, the 2WD 4cyl sounds perfect for you. What exactly would you be towing? Also, I've found the FWD combined with the traction control/stability control works very well in snow/ice, and if you had winter tires then AWD wouldn't be needed in most situations. Unless you are talking about the new Escape which ahsn't been released yet....the design is over a decade old and really doesn't hold up well to the newer Nox/Terrain. I test drove a loaded 09 Escape before I bought my Nox and found it just ok...the V6 really didn't feel much more powerful than the 4cyl Nox, and the ride was a little choppier. Not to mention the interior doesn't match up well at all..
Hi I would like to occasionally tow a boat a fair distance. Don't have one near that weight now but am trying to plan for the future if I upgrade I want this vehicle to be able to handle it.

I agree the Escape is really dated and nearly as refined and its hard to say what the new one will be like. I think the mileage will be better on the escape though as its almost 500lbs lighter.

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
chevy22 said:
I agree the Escape is really dated and nearly as refined and its hard to say what the new one will be like. I think the mileage will be better on the escape though as its almost 500lbs lighter.
Proposed pictures on the web of the 2012 Escape look very nice. Quite frankly, much more modern looking than the Equinox. Do some searching and you can find them pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think that the Escape is going to be like a grown up Focus/Fiesta so if you like that styling you can expect something like that.

As for us, its never been a problem with the I4 and we've done long distance trips with four people. Just last week ours pulled down 25.8 MPG in pure city driving. Ill take the power hit as long as we keep getting 50% better MPG than the V6.

Drive both and see which you like the best. They certainly have different feels but are both pretty dang good engines.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Suggest V6 if you are going to tow that much weight... Why risk the potential of not having enough juice, should you want to tow something larger in the future? My V6 FWD is getting a pretty consistent average economy in the low tens (converts to ~23 US mpg)... which is pretty good for mostly urban driving. I am light on the throttle mind you.

Lots of reviewers knock the V6 for being not much better than the 4, however I disagree. The 6 is quite a tight engine when it's brand new but once you get some miles on it, it opens up nicely. It's also quite a smooth engine that revs nicely without the buzz-iness of a 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I drive an '09 Escape Limited V6 FWD and my wife drives the '11 Terrain I4 FWD. We both love the Terrain, and I hope to replace my Escape soon. The Escape is a good utility vehicle with truck like characteristics, which is why I bought it. I like the size of the cargo area with the rear seats down and the wheel wells are small in comparison to the 'Nox/Terrain. The V6 is very strong with great gas mileage that's comparable to my I4 Terrain.

The bad is that the Escape has terrible quality. The Escape always has something wrong with it and some problems can't be fixed. The 6F35 transmission is quirky at best and there's recently been a class action lawsuit filed regarding it. The old style rear seats become a nuisance having to remove the headrests every time you put down the seats. The Escape was my first Ford since 1974 and it will again be my last for many years. I'm very disappointed with Ford's new quality, at least for this model.

Lastly, as previously mentioned, the Escape is a very old design with some decent improvements but this finally is the last year for it.

As for me, I'm actively looking for another SUV to replace the Escape. I'm strongly considering purchasing an Equinox and then we'll have both a Terrain and Equinox.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a V6 AWD out today and it was a nice riding vehicle. I think I will consider the 4cyl for the amount of driving I do in the city and just occasional towing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bballr4567 said:
I think that the Escape is going to be like a grown up Focus/Fiesta so if you like that styling you can expect something like that.

As for us, its never been a problem with the I4 and we've done long distance trips with four people. Just last week ours pulled down 25.8 MPG in pure city driving. Ill take the power hit as long as we keep getting 50% better MPG than the V6.

Drive both and see which you like the best. They certainly have different feels but are both pretty dang good engines.
Is that US MPG or UK?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts