GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2016 GMC Terrain which is leaking coolant. I bought an a radiator leak stop which says pour directly in radiator reservoir (which I don’t believe this car has) so then says to pour it directly in overfill tank? Im not sure where the overfill tank is!! I saw a YT video where someone disconnected a house and poured it in but Im not sure if it’s the hose I’m looking at. I will post a picture and circle what I believe is the hose I can disconnect to pour it in, I appreciate any tips I have to get the kids to school tomorrow safely to then try and get this fixed and have no other form of transportation. Ty!!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
You do have a radiator reservoir, you can see it in your first pic.
Looking at the drivers side you will see a small red cap, a small black push on cap for windshield washer fluid, and a larger black cap that is threaded on to the reservoir.
The large cap is where the stop leak instructions is refering to.
BTW the hose that you marked is the upper radiator hose.

There is a fourth black cap in the center of the vehicle.
That is for brake fluid, stay away from that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree with deposit in the garbage, just top off your reservoir bottle. You indicated you are taking it to get fixed, assume that means immediately. Why put gunk in your coolant system if you are getting it looked at anyway, as long as the leak is slow. If it is not slow, stop leak would probably be a waste of time anyway ?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The stop leak gunk travels through the entire cooling system...through the block, radiator, everything. If the leak isn’t in the engine, then don’t use it because you’ll NEVER get it all the way out of the cooling system. I’ve used it twice in my life. Once on a car that had a crack in the block, so the only way to fix it was replace the engine anyway, and the other time was on a car I only paid $250 for as a beater. Put 10K miles on it and sold it for $200 when it needed a battery.
If you plan to keep this car for a while, don’t use stop leak.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't put any of this "stuff" in your system. At best it is a short term fix on an old car you don't want/can't afford to spend money on. Just keep coolant in the reservoir and get the leak fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the reply, ok thank you! Looks like you are referring to where you put the coolant in, I was confused because I didn’t know if the coolant and leak stop are supposed to mix or it would be bad for the coolant reservoir. That is what made the most sense to me, but I really wanted to be sure. I pour coolant in it and it all leaks out within minutes! Should I pour in the leak stop first and then the coolant after? I will be getting it looked at tomorrow I just need to make it to the shop at this point, 10 mile local drive

Looking at the drivers side you will see a small red cap, a small black push on cap for windshield washer fluid, and a larger black cap that is threaded on to the reservoir.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the stuff

I appreciate the reply, ok thank you! Looks like you are referring to where you put the coolant in, I was confused because I didn’t know if the coolant and leak stop are supposed to mix or it would be bad for the coolant reservoir. That is what made the most sense to me, but I really wanted to be sure. I pour coolant in it and it all leaks out within minutes! Should I pour in the leak stop first and then the coolant after? I will be getting it looked at tomorrow I just need to make it to the shop at this point, 10 mile local drive

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stop leak gunk travels through the entire cooling system...through the block, radiator, everything. If the leak isn’t in the engine, then don’t use it because you’ll NEVER get it all the way out of the cooling system. I’ve used it twice in my life. Once on a car that had a crack in the block, so the only way to fix it was replace the engine anyway, and the other time was on a car I only paid $250 for as a beater. Put 10K miles on it and sold it for $200 when it needed a battery.
If you plan to keep this car for a while, don’t use stop leak.
I really appreciate this reply! Thank you I think it will just be worth getting it towed

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I really appreciate this reply! Thank you I think it will just be worth getting it towed
We don't judge, we give you information and you make the call.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you pour in coolant and it’s all gone within a matter of mins., it’s doubtful stop leak would even fix the problem anyway...the car has to be running long enough for the thermostat to open up so the coolant with the stop leak in it can circulate through the whole system to find the leak...it sounds like your leak is so severe, it wouldn’t be able to do that anyway, and if you just keep adding coolant to get it to that point, you’d be diluting the stop leak anyway too.

...yeah, towing it is your best bet. Any idea where the coolant is leaking from? That’s a pretty severe leak!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Embarrassing story.... I actually used that exact product and quickly realized how bad it was... It is not liquid aluminum but more like tiny shrapnel designed to destroy a water pump and clog the radiator from the top down.... It was ridiculously hard to get it all out of the cooling system I literally had to flush it 4 or 5 times to get that stuff out and i'm sure there is still some in my old explorer. As soon as I poured it in I was like OH NO....

·
Registered
5 Posts

Don’t use stop leak,fix problem stop leak will gum up system

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
In jeopardy lingo, Where is back on the shelf ?

Reactions: 2016 Terrain SLT
1 - 15 of 15 Posts