GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My most recent auto purchase was a Ford, and I learned there were many places where I could purchase a factory Ford extended warranty. I bought it online and saved a fair amount of money compared to buying it from any of my local Ford dealers.

Is this the same situation for GMC? Any recommendations for where to buy it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very good question, I hope someone has an answer. I take delivery on my 2011 in Sept/Oct and need to get this figured out before I sign for it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
http://gmoutlet.com/
I have yet to see any beat their pricing (Black Cadillac) on the GM extended warranties. I purchased the 72/72-zero deductible for $1200 (US) and you pay no sales tax!! Check them out first and see if your dealer will even try to match the price.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
TerryG said:
http://gmoutlet.com/
I have yet to see any beat their pricing on the GM extended warranties. I purchased the 72/72-zero deductible for $1200 (US) Check them out first and see if your dealer will even try to match the price.
X2. As soon as we get our tax refund next year, we are purchasing from Black Cadillac. Cheapest place around and our GMC dealer wanted $1900 for the warranty I can get for $1000 from Black.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Where is Black Cadillac? Are you referring to Bill Black Cadillac in Greensboro?

Dave

·
Registered
441 Posts
i think they need a new website....lol

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It sucks, that is true, but their pricing is amazing. Even if you have ONE window regulator go bad after the 36k B to B then their warranty will pay for its normally.

·
Registered
306 Posts
With the 3 year bumper to bumper and the 5 year power train warranties, I can't figure out why anyone would take out an extended warranty during the first 3 year period. The extended warranty, as I understand it, runs concurrently with the GM warranty so doubling up on warranties up front makes no sense to me! Could someone enlighten me--and yes, I know, it's cheaper when the cars new as well it should be, but still doesn't justify buying a "extended " warranty that runs concurrent with the factory coverage.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The bumper to bumper only runs to 3 years/36k miles, once you go over that you lose all warranty on ANYTHING other than the power train.

IE, window motors, radio, power locks, wheel bearings and so on. Most of the time the warranty is worth it just for the cost of labor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are a few warrenty companies based in the St Louis area and I actually used to work at one, our major competitors were STOP and Mogy. Ive heard Mogy is very reliable and no matter what these companies say the can lower the price, so haggle a little bit and you can get a deal. They should also offer multi car discounts.

·
Registered
306 Posts
bballr-- I totally get that the bumper to bumper warranty lasts for 3 years as I clearly stated in my post. What I don't understand ( which I also clearly stated) is NOT waiting until the 3 year/36 month period is ALMOST over before buying an extended warranty!!! Why pay for 3 years worth of warranty OVERLAP is my issue.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
RSchleder said:
bballr-- I totally get that the bumper to bumper warranty lasts for 3 years as I clearly stated in my post. What I don't understand ( which I also clearly stated) is NOT waiting until the 3 year/36 month period is ALMOST over before buying an extended warranty!!! Why pay for 3 years worth ove warranty OVERLAP is my issue.
Exactly!...your not "double" covered those first three years. The extended warranty only starts after the factory warrenty runs out. So you're actually paying a pretty hefty price for an extended warranty that only kicks in later. Are they selling an extended five year warranty that starts after the factory warranty..or really only a two year additional warranty on top of the original three?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Iceman- when an extended warranty company called me a couple of days after I bought my Terrain, I asked specifically----when does your coverage start? The answer I got was as soon as you purchase it from us! When I asked them what advantage there was to me since I was already covered by GM, they danced around the issue and really had no good answer! If I buy an extended warranty, and I may, it will certainly be timed to tie on to the end of the 3yr/36 month GM plan, not overlap it. I'll also buy it BEFORE my GM plan is expired as I want a GM plan and it must be purchased (as I understand it) prior to your basic warranty running out.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ If you are talking about the GMPP (the actual GM warranty, not some low-rent knock-off) you CAN add it before your B2B is over, but it's supposedly considerably more expensive than if you'd purchased it at the time you bought the vehicle.

So the advantage is that you can save a few bucks to buy it at the time of vehicle purchase, and roll it into your financing. How much is to be saved, I don't know.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm only interested in a factory GM warranty. I don't know how GM's extended warranties work, but doesn't the price of the extended warranty go up the closer you get to the expiration of your B-B factory warranty? Isn't there a defined period of time after you purchase the vehicle that you can even buy an extended factory warranty?

When I purchased my Ford's factory extended warranty, I purchased it online from an out-of-state dealer and it worked out great and saved lots of money. I would like something similar for our new Terrain. I'll be calling Black Cadillac today.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found many dealers online who sell factory GM extended warranties that claim to be selling the contracts at a discount. Unfortunately, every one I found requires you to enter your contact information to obtain a quote. Other than Black Cadillac, anyone use any of these?

Also, all I really want is an extension of the B-B 36K mile warranty. I'm not seeing that as a choice, but maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
RSchleder said:
bballr-- I totally get that the bumper to bumper warranty lasts for 3 years as I clearly stated in my post. What I don't understand ( which I also clearly stated) is NOT waiting until the 3 year/36 month period is ALMOST over before buying an extended warranty!!! Why pay for 3 years worth of warranty OVERLAP is my issue.
Ahhh gotcha.

The sooner you buy the warranty, the cheaper it is. Yes, you dont get the overlap but you will end up paying about double if you wait until 35k miles instead of 3k miles.

I understand not wanting overlap but the warranty is always tied to the IN SERVICE date, not when you purchase the warranty with GMPP. For example, you cant get a 100k warranty when you have 97k miles on the vehicle. So, regardless when you buy the warranty the time frame is still going to be the same.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just received a $550 saving on a 7 year,70k mile, $100 deductible bumper to bumper GMPP extended warranty from Greg Bell Chevrolet compared to Bill Black Cadillac.You might want to check it out folks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts