GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a heads up or pictures of where the factory amp is in the Terrain? I've seen other post with pictures and diagrams, but I just couldn't make sense of them, maybe a description would be better, thanks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
For a 2010 and up Terrain / Equinox it is on the drivers side of the vehicle up under the dash by the steering wheel.

To gain access to it, you need to remove the panel under the steering column. It is held on by a few screws and push pin retainers. One you have that off there is a metal panel, remove the four screws and you now have access to the Amp. There are 3 nuts that hold the amp on to the vehicle, remove them and then remove the electrical connectors. Very easy job.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet, that was the picture I was looking for, people took pictures of the amp itself real close and the other seemed to have the amp underneath the car, I got confused, thanks a bunch man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
is it plug and play replacing the stock amp

will it be a plug and play arrangement replacing the stock amp with the pioneer amp?? that would be neat and sweet too.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Some said it was plug and play, others had issues.

I believe it had to do with a specific model year.

·
Registered
296 Posts
will it be a plug and play arrangement replacing the stock amp with the pioneer amp?? that would be neat and sweet too.
Both sound systems are Pioneer.Just one is the premium 8 speaker with center channel and sub and the base is 6 speaker no center channel and no "active" sub.You can get the premium amp upgrade into the base system(easy plug and play).It costs about $160 on various sites.I did this in my mothers Terrain recently.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Both sound systems are Pioneer.Just one is the premium 8 speaker with center channel and sub and the base is 6 speaker no center channel and no "active" sub.You can get the premium amp upgrade into the base system(easy plug and play).It costs about $160 on various sites.I did this in my mothers Terrain recently.
Do both setups use the same amp or is the 8 speaker one with a different amp?

Chip

·
Registered
89 Posts
No,the amps are different but they both fit it the same place and use the same plugs.
Thanks for the information. Do you know if the sub used in the six speaker setup is wired to the amp area? I read it's only used for the ANC when you have the six speakers. It would be easy to wire in the sub if that's the case.

·
Registered
296 Posts
No,the amps are different but they both fit it the same place and use the same plugs.
Thanks for the information. Do you know if the sub used in the six speaker setup is wired to the amp area? I read it's only used for the ANC when you have the six speakers. It would be easy to wire in the sub if that's the case.
In the 6 speaker system the sub is used for ANC only, however if you get the upgraded 8 speaker amp it will activate the sub for audio without disturbing the ANC.Did this in my mother's Terrain with no problems.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In the 6 speaker system the sub is used for ANC only, however if you get the upgraded 8 speaker amp it will activate the sub for audio without disturbing the ANC.Did this in my mother's Terrain with no problems.
More good info, thanks. It sounds as easy as swapping the amps and connecting the sub. Do you have to have a center channel speaker, and do I have to have the dealer flash the software?

·
Registered
296 Posts
More good info, thanks. It sounds as easy as swapping the amps and connecting the sub. Do you have to have a center channel speaker, and do I have to have the dealer flash the software?
It's as easy as swapping the amps and thats it.No need to connect the sub,it is already connected.No need for a center channel either.The plug in the 8 speaker amp is wired for one but the factory harness for the base 6 speaker obviously doesn't contain those wires,nonetheless it fits so no worries.You'll just have a channel in the amp that plays nothing and goes nowhere.No need to go to the dealer either.Maybe this will help too....

http://www.terrainforum.net/32-audio-video-nav/12218-swapping-amplifier-2011-terrain.html

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's as easy as swapping the amps and thats it.No need to connect the sub,it is already connected.No need for a center channel either.The plug in the 8 speaker amp is wired for one but the factory harness for the base 6 speaker obviously doesn't contain those wires,nonetheless it fits so no worries.You'll just have a channel in the amp that plays nothing and goes nowhere.No need to go to the dealer either.Maybe this will help too....

http://www.terrainforum.net/32-audio-video-nav/12218-swapping-amplifier-2011-terrain.html
Even more great information, thanks again. I'll post an update after I install the new amp. I got a great deal through Amazon, less than $50!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Even more great information, thanks again. I'll post an update after I install the new amp. I got a great deal through Amazon, less than $50!
CRAP!
Under the heading of "too good to be true" I ordered the wrong amp, what a dummy.
I got another 6 channel version. Grrr! I'll have to do some checking around.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Chip, what year and model is your Equinox? Mine is a 2017 LS 4 cylinder with the base 6 speaker system. For me changing the 6 speaker amp to the 8 speaker amp does NOT work - ( at least NOT plug and play ). Yes the physical size is the same and the plugs are the same but the wiring to those plugs is very different. Try this, pull out the fuse for the amp then turn on the radio and if you get sound from the rear speakers only its NOT plug and play.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Chip, what year and model is your Equinox? Mine is a 2017 LS 4 cylinder with the base 6 speaker system. For me changing the 6 speaker amp to the 8 speaker amp does NOT work - ( at least NOT plug and play ). Yes the physical size is the same and the plugs are the same but the wiring to those plugs is very different. Try this, pull out the fuse for the amp then turn on the radio and if you get sound from the rear speakers only its NOT plug and play.
Got the new amp yesterday, installed in 15 minutes. It works fine. It doesn't put out huge amounts of bottom end like a Rockford Fosgate 12" sub I had years ago, but it's decent. I have a 2014 1LT 4 cylinder. Perhaps the newer models like yours don't come with the sub already installed, or more likely because yours is an LS? BTW, anyone need a 6 channel amp cheap? :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Got the new amp yesterday, installed in 15 minutes. It works fine. It doesn't put out huge amounts of bottom end like a Rockford Fosgate 12" sub I had years ago, but it's decent. I have a 2014 1LT 4 cylinder. Perhaps the newer models like yours don't come with the sub already installed, or more likely because yours is an LS? BTW, anyone need a 6 channel amp cheap?
Glad you got it in! I personally think it is well worth the $150 my mom payed for it.Hang on to that base amp,you never know.Did you notice that it too is a Pioneer?I wonder if the stock speakers all are as well?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad you got it in! I personally think it is well worth the $150 my mom payed for it.Hang on to that base amp,you never know.Did you notice that it too is a Pioneer?I wonder if the stock speakers all are as well?
Both amps are Pioneers, I don't know about the speakers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all new here to the forum i bought a 2015 Terrain SLE and it has center and Rear Sub dose that mean its a 8 speaker premium .
I was wondering what would the woofer speck on size power and ohms would be.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi all new here to the forum i bought a 2015 Terrain SLE and it has center and Rear Sub dose that mean its a 8 speaker premium .
I was wondering what would the woofer speck on size power and ohms would be.
Thanks for your help.
Stock sub is 8" 2.5 ohm DVC. Premium Pioneer system actually has "Pioneer" on the front door speaker grills.

Do a search in this forum under my username and you should discover LOTS of info on the stock system and how to modify it.

Also:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Corporate+Connections/GMC/GMC+Terrain

Reactions: jennerwtx
1 - 20 of 29 Posts