GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

How far away do you park to avoid dings? Nittis Idea!

• Farthest away possible.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just past range of parked cars.

• End of a row

• Odd shaped or large parking spots

• Anywhere.

• Near a light.

• Closest spot..Who cares!

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you park to avoid door dings? Or you don't worry about things like that.

At work I park in a far away spot(no nearby cars). I was transferred out of my job, replaced by a person who gets paid less.
Guess where the guy who replaced me parked the first week? Yes..in my far away spot! In it not beside it!
This is a lot that has thousands of unassigned parking spots!...how ironic

·
Registered
60 Posts
In my extensive history of being an anal parker, I've found the best place is at the end of a row.

If you park just past a range of parked cars, other drivers will just keep parking past and all around you. If you park off somewhere empty by yourself, you somehow become a magnet for the crappiest cars in the whole parking lot. They all will seek you out just to be assholes. Odd or big parking spots are a good spot for people to decide a shopping cart belongs. Near a light, like parking in the middle of nowhere, ends up being a magnet for crappy cars.

On the end of a row or by a curb is the best place to park. You have to park so close to the curb that someone cannot prop up a shopping cart and you're far enough away from the next car. You only have one side of your car exposed this way and I've found that most other drivers seem to honor this space as I don't think it's viewed as being the 'two space taking ass' or a 'jerk who thinks they are too good to park near the rest of the cars'. It just works out best this way for me. I've still not gotten a single dent in my Infiniti, and the Mazda we traded in only had one minor one.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I usually park about 7-10 spaces past the last car. I find that, in this area, cars LOVE to park next to you if you park at the end of the row but now the middle.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I usually park where the car stops.... ;D

Actually, these days if I attempt to park in a specific spot, it's farther away to give me excuse to get more of a work out by walking.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Park wherever....when you try to avoid dings that is when you get them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
street-terrain said:
I'll park a few inches from you in a totally empty parking lot ;-)
Grrrr... just got back from taking my baby mama out for chicken wings...had to park right between two cars..no other spots...did a circle check when I left..was ok!
Was that you street-terrain in the yellow cavalier beside me? That was too close!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Roesterman said:
Grrrr... just got back from taking my baby mama out for chicken wings...had to park right between two cars..no other spots...did a circle check when I left..was ok!
Was that you street-terrain in the yellow cavalier beside me? That was too close!
Yeap and I parked crooked too ;-)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I park in the empty part of the parking lot, usually the furthest away from the store/destination. I'm not afraid of exercise. I may not be able to avoid everybody. But, the fewer people that park next to us, the less likely our 'Nox will get damaged from someone else's door. :mad:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a handicapped tag for the wife, so whenever she is with me I am in handicapped spaces. When I'm by myself, it's "out there" or in a large space. I won't use the "handi tag" unless she's with me.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
RNOX said:
I wish the Nox had poly panels like my old VUE :(
I'll accept the risk of door dings to not have huge gaps between plastic panels to allow for heat expansion..

·
Registered
38 Posts
TheCrow1994 said:
I park in the empty part of the parking lot, usually the furthest away from the store/destination. I'm not afraid of exercise. I may not be able to avoid everybody. But, the fewer people that park next to us, the less likely our 'Nox will get damaged from someone else's door. :mad:
I agree!! Ding protection and exercise! ITS WIN WIN!! ::)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh how I love having a place to come to and share my obsessive thoughts/actions about my new 'Nox! It's so funny because I can relate to almost every post on here.

I usually use a combination of tactics when entering a parking lot. First, I look for a nice clear area that's free of cars and I go there. Second, I find the stall on the end of the row by a curb and I park there, all the while making sure I scoot nice and close to the curb (but without rubbing the tire/rim on the curb!) so that if a crappy old car decides to seek me out and park beside me there is still ample room on the exposed side which hopefully provides some protection from the infamous ding.

I am forever amused by the fact that, should you have a passenger with you during this process, it seems that they always feel the need to grunt and grown about you parking in the stall furthest from your destination and that they must walk such a long distance. What do you tell 'em? Stop your b!tching, exercise is good for ya! :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
FedorekC said:
What do you tell 'em? Stop your b!tching, exercise is good for ya! :D
Just tell them, "You know, you're not withering away any time soon...you could stand to lose a few L Bs". Or, "Next time, you drive, and you can park wherever the hell you want." ;D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's my daughter.... Gee dad why do you have to park so far away?.....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nice one Crow! I especially like the second one...might have to use that it :). Although, I don't mind driving, especially since I took home this beautiful vehicle :).

Haha-Roesterman. I now know where my dad was coming from. I think I might be more paranoid than he is now. It's pretty cool though, because we work at the same office right now and since it's summer he is driving his Camaro, so we have a parking system in place so that neither of us get door dings :D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I park in the closest spot I can find. Don't give a **** if I get a ding or not. Not worth getting ulcers over. Eventually you're going to get one. If I was worried about dings, I'd have bought a used military Hummer.

·
Registered
282 Posts
:eek: Touche GaryD! Haha, I suppose since it's my first brand new car I am slightly more inclined to feel that way :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts