GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've looked in the owners manual several times but I don't see where it actually says the recommended mileage for when the gear box fluids should be changed. Can anyone help me out here? At my last oil change they were telling me I should get these done, but I'm wondering if they are just feeding me a line. Oh and do they use a synthetic fluid?
Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd have to dig through the documentation, but I *believe* the case is sealed shut. The only reason to change the fluid is if there is a problem. I'll see if I can locate it somewhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure what year you have but in my 2011 manual the ATF and Transfer Case Fluid change is listed on page 11-5 at 50K miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 2006, and I had the tranny flushed around 60k, but the stealership was trying to tell me I need to get my differentials flushed also? Is this true? Also do I have the sealed unit? I'm assuming I don't since I had it flushed but I don't trust most mechanics as I''ve been taken advantage of way too many times, so maybe they just said they flushed it and didn't do anything.

thanks

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
jessb_55 said:
Hey guys,
I have a 2006, and I had the tranny flushed around 60k, but the stealership was trying to tell me I need to get my differentials flushed also? Is this true?
So you now have over 60k on the OEM gear oil in your differential? Then yes, should switch it out. I'm not familar with your vehicle, so if your a DIY kind of guy - check with your dealer on what kind of diff you have as the limited slip diff's require the slip additive which the dealer should have in stock, which you mix in with the gear oil.[/color]

Also do I have the sealed unit? No, some diffs have plugs for both draining and flling and some have to be split (cover comes off) to drain and have a fill plug to fill.[/color]
jessb_55 said:
Oh and do they use a synthetic fluid?
I know the AC Delco 90 weight is at least a semi-syn but may be a full synthetic, have some in the garage but I can't recall - your parts guy at the dealer will know.[/color]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts