GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the owners manual, the oil only needs to be changed when the oil life indicator says its time. This varies depending on driving time and style and can be up to a year between changes! This obviously flies in the face of the 3 months/3K miles line of thought, so I was curious what other owners are thinking? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did my first change at 3500 miles the other day, not to say that is the correct mileage and timing for you or anyone else. I wouldn't wait for the 5k to come around for the first change, a new engine could have small metal shavings left from the manufacturer and a new engine during break in could produce micro shavings. For instance: I found a shaving the size of a nail clipping stuck in my oil filter when I did mine last week; however, I think that is a rare case and a first for me. With that said concerning the first change, I will be doing one more change using conventional oil at about 7k miles and at 11k I'll most likely switch to either a sythetic blend or Mobil 1 synthetic. That's how I've done any new car I've owned, not to say it's the right way, but the way I've always done it. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forgot to add.....After I switch to synthetic I'll be changing the filter every 3500 miles and the oil and filter every 7500 miles. That is on the safe side some go filter every 5k and oil and filter every 10k, but I tend to over do everything a bit :D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
On a brand new car I would change the oil/filter at 500 miles, then 2k on the second change, then (in my case) every 7500 miles after that.....with synthetic oil.
Again it all depends on your type of driving. I think most people can do 75k easily. I send in my motorcycle oil to be analyized every other oil change and it comes back that I can extend the change interval from the normal 75k, but I like that magic number 75K.

If I was still using dino oil, I would change it at around 3K no matter what.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good topic with interesting and varied replies. I called my service dealer to ask about this because my recommended first-time oil change time will occur during a trip. He said not to worry, just come in after the trip. Well, that will be about 5,400 miles and, based on what I see here, maybe I ought to ignore him and get it changed before the trip.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Before and after would be a good idea.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
FYI - on a 3000 mile round trip between NY and FL, I only used up 18% of my oil's life.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm over 7000Km and will be getting my first oil change tomorrow, my OLM is showing 17% remaining and I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow to have my USB input fixed(it just went dead the other day) so it seems like the perfect chance to get them both done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have a 4cyl terrain with 5200 miles. I just made an appt with the dealer for a tire rotation and oil change for 2/26/10, The service rep told me the oil light which is supposed to come on when you oil needs changed is faulty and GM is not including it on 2011 models. I'm not worried because I normally have it changed around 3000 miles but with this I thought I'd see if the light would come on. It hasn't. I'm getting it changed on my schedule from here on out. Terrain is running good, good mileage around 26 around town. I've noticed the exhaust tail pipe is very sooty like it is fuel rich but it seems like it is performing well. I leave it in eco mode mostly.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Rich said:
We have a 4cyl terrain with 5200 miles. I just made an appt with the dealer for a tire rotation and oil change for 2/26/10, The service rep told me the oil light which is supposed to come on when you oil needs changed is faulty and GM is not including it on 2011 models. I'm not worried because I normally have it changed around 3000 miles but with this I thought I'd see if the light would come on. It hasn't. I'm getting it changed on my schedule from here on out. Terrain is running good, good mileage around 26 around town. I've noticed the exhaust tail pipe is very sooty like it is fuel rich but it seems like it is performing well. I leave it in eco mode mostly.
I would suspect your service rep was BS'ing you about not including the Oil Life Monitor on the '11 models. The system is used on most (if not all) GM models and has been for some time.

I'm getting the impression you don't know you have the menu option on your Driver Information Centre for checking 'remaining oil life'. You can check that at any time - you don't have to wait for the 'light' to come on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the reply, however, I am aware of the oil life monitor, I had it on my 2000 Grand Prix GT but that is not what I used to determine when my oil was changed. I'm referring to the light that is referenced in the manual that is supposed to remind you to change your oil within 500 miles after it comes on. I believe these are two different indicators. I don't change the oil in my car when a light comes on nor do I reference the oil life indicator for the same. I believe the service rep what referring to the "change your oil reminder" that is supposed to light up when the system says it should be changed.

Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something/ Or, are there really two different indicators?
RW

·
Registered
698 Posts
Rich said:
Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something/ Or, are there really two different indicators?
RW
It would be logical that when the OLM reads a certain percentage (like 0%) life remaining that the computer will display "Change Oil Soon" in the DIC. I believe they are the same system, not separate.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Rich said:
Thanks for the reply, however, I am aware of the oil life monitor, I had it on my 2000 Grand Prix GT but that is not what I used to determine when my oil was changed. I'm referring to the light that is referenced in the manual that is supposed to remind you to change your oil within 500 miles after it comes on. I believe these are two different indicators. I don't change the oil in my car when a light comes on nor do I reference the oil life indicator for the same. I believe the service rep what referring to the "change your oil reminder" that is supposed to light up when the system says it should be changed.

RW
You get a message on your INFO display when you drop below 5% Oil Life each time you start the engine. Change Oil Soon (to get off that you will have to move the display around..ie back to your instant MPG or w/e you watch). It comes on in my Impala that way, and the Cobalt was the same...Both 2009's, I'm going to guess this is the same.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got a "courtesy" call from my dealer last night that I probably have about 5,000 mi on new Nox and am I ready to make a service appt for an oil change? I'm LOL b/c they're the only people that are unaware of my real mileage of 2,200. The Nox knows, OnStar knows and keeps sending me emails about my service status. The dealer service dept is the only people left in the dark! :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
We're getting the oil changed tomorrow at around 6700 km (around 4200 miles).
Our DIC is showing around 20% oil life remaining left but we usually do an oil change every spring and fall regardless of the mileage (as long as it's less than recommended by manufacturer of course).
I was thinking tire rotation, but way too early. We'll do it this fall.

·
Registered
698 Posts
gearhead said:
Our DIC is showing around 20% oil life remaining left but we usually do an oil change every spring and fall regardless of the mileage (as long as it's less than recommended by manufacturer of course).
Looks like you've managed to keep the mileage down on your Terrain, seeing that you've had it since last September. At this rate you'll have just under 10,000 on it come December. I didn't get mine until December and I have 6,600 on it now. I find myself walking to the store and consolidating trips to the commerical district instead of driving, in order to keep the mileage down. Ideally I'd like to put no more than 12,000 a year on it.

I just read the other day in the manual that new tires should be rotated between 8,000 and 13,000 km.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Terrain said:
Looks like you've managed to keep the mileage down on your Terrain, seeing that you've had it since last September. At this rate you'll have just under 10,000 on it come December. I didn't get mine until December and I have 6,600 on it now. I find myself walking to the store and consolidating trips to the commerical district instead of driving, in order to keep the mileage down. Ideally I'd like to put no more than 12,000 a year on it.

I just read the other day in the manual that new tires should be rotated between 8,000 and 13,000 km.
We live close to work and shopping and plan chores in as few trips as possible.
The Terrain is primarily for Mom and the kids, but I sneak it out a lot cuz of all the "creature comforts".
8)
I may have them rotate the tires, time permitting, tomorrow, but if the manual says up to 13000 km, hey we may wait until the fall.
We'll see.
Reminder to self --> ask if they recommend synthetic oil and get their opinion on manually moving the power liftgate out of the 3/4 position on a regular basis

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
gearhead said:
OK, got the oil changed, came out to $106.17 CAN funds, taxes in, for the Castrol Synthetic (recommended by Dealer as being approved by GM if switching to synthetic) Motor Oil.
I asked if I'll see better gas mileage and their response was yes plus we'll get longer oil life.
Forgot to ask about liftgate (will e-mail sales rep), was too busy looking at loaded Denali's and they had to call me off the lot to get the Terrain cuz others were waiting for an oil change too LOL!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You'll definately get better milage with syn oil, not a lot but maybe a 1 mpg, better then nothing. You should be able to double the change out interval also.
Did you have something else done for that price? Seens awfully high. I do my own oil change(only thing left for me to do to a car). I use Amsoil (dealer price) $45 + 1/2 hour labor total.
You can use any brand name syn or dino oil. There is a law called the Magnason Act(? spelling) that prohibits a mfg/dealer from telling you you have to use a specific brand oil..... unless they provide it free.
As long as it has the current API designation.

Changing the oil/filter is the absolute best thing you can do for your car. Change at the oil mfg's recommended interval, whether it's syn or dino and you can't go wrong.

I send my oil to an analyzer lab every other oil change ($25) just to make sure the engine is running OK. The reports always comes back that I can still increase the change out interval.

Just as a side note, and I realize not everyone can change their own oil, but I like to change my own because I know what's going in and how much. I also know that the plug it tightened to the correct torque, but mainly I will drive the car at least 7 to 10 miles before the change to make sure all the contaminates and crud are fully suspended in the oil and will come out during the change. I seriously doubt the dealer does that step. And last but not least .... saving $$$$

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just changed my own oil for the first time on my Terrain (4 cyl.) with 3,000 miles on it. I was truely surpised, the oil seemed to be very dirty. I commute 50 miles every day for work, so most of those miles are highway miles. I think maybe I should have changed the oil after the first 1,000 miles instead of waiting until 3,000 miles. I replaced the old oil with Valvoline Dura Blend and a new Puralator filter. I used this combination on my previous vehicle a 2005 Equinox and it seem to work fine. I wonder what type of oil they use to fill the engine for the first time at the factory? Is it synthetic or regular?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts