GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Wheel bearing or something else?

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mrgto455 
#1 ·
Good morning all. Few months back I changed out the drivers side wheel bearing with a MOOG bearing. It was a b!tch because it was frozen to the knuckle via rust from the wonderful northeast.

This past weekend I changed out the pass side.....again frozen but I had purchased a tool off Amazon to help with the job. 5 wacks with a sledge hammer freed the bearing/hub. Also replaced with MOOG.

The issue is the sound remains. I have two more rear wheel bearings on order. I'm going to change both out. The car is a 2010 LTZ V6 with 135.5K miles. It spent the 1st 8yrs in MA but now I'm in FL.

That said, has anyone had to replace the driveshaft carrier bearing? And if so how hard a job is it? If the sound isn't a wheel bearing and it's not clicking like a bad CV joint, then it could be a bad tire but those all have under 5K miles and they still look new.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I had same issue on my 2012 journey, bad front left, so changed both fronts with MOOG included a free workout LOL. Was quieter then couple days later still had a faint noise, but no signs of rears being bad. Wondered if bad MOOG bearing ? Ordered this time two SKF for the backs, changed them again, free workout. Noise is completely gone now, good idea to change the other two for the price just in case. All are the same age and wear and tear anyway, in my case if solved the problem.

#4 ·
Front tires off the ground and running it and a mechanics stethoscope would be the sure test for the intermediate shaft and the wheel bearings. I've had to do that to track down a bad hub that was not that old, noise but zero play in it.

#5 ·
Yea, I'm about to go into the garage and put it up on jacks again and spin the drivers side. I'm thinking the bearing has already failed. If it has I'm going to get a refund for it. I might return the other two rear ones I've ordered and order something else. Kind of shocking for a MOOG part to fail that quick but there have been some people on Amazon complaining about how fast they fail. I get most of my parts off of RockAuto.

Here is the tool.

Video of it.

#6 ·
Moog may be slipping in quality. I had to replace a Moog hub in my Tahoe that only had 30k miles on it. I use Rock all the time but I'm not blaming them. There are different quality levels within brands though...

Reactions: mrgto455
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.