GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, bought a 2017 Nox with a naked roof and found a set of rails and covers from a junkyard. Didn't come with any hardware so I'm looking for the nut size. I found a video where someone says you need a 10mm socket yet that's not necessarily the size, anyone what the exact nut size?

Also are there any tricks to remove the rail cover from the rail itself?

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Volleyball said:
Hey all, bought a 2017 Nox with a naked roof and found a set of rails and covers from a junkyard. Didn't come with any hardware so I'm looking for the nut size. I found a video where someone says you need a 10mm socket yet that's not necessarily the size, anyone what the exact nut size?

You can probably get a diagram and the bolt sizes off of GMPartsDirect.com

·
Registered
909 Posts
Back when I removed my roof racks to sell on eBay, I found this and it includes the GM part number for the 8 bolts (11609411). List price is .57 cents at your local dealer and you need 8... so less than $5 full retail...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Volleyball said:

If the video mentioned a 10mm socket - then yes, that's the size. A 10mm socket can't be any other size.

I've had my covers off on a previous year model and if I remember correctly, the front ends of the cover, the closest to the windshield, do have clips (at least the Terrains do). So you may want to be aware of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I'll get them from gm as banddirector points out

Polrcus, that isn't an universal "10mm nut"; I already went to the home depot, there was a M10, which I bought and it was a 10mm socket but it didn't fit.

With the covers I'm asking about the rail trim covers; there are clips but I haven't had much success as I feel like if I'm too rough with them I'll break something.

·
Registered
215 Posts
thread size is M6 X 1.00 metric , in the roof there are inset nuts called nutserts :thumb:
they are installed just like a pop rivet

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shameless plug that I put this set up on the most popular auction site but at least I'll include some potentially valuable info. They are M6 nuts, but if you get the regular kind you'll NEED 8 M6 washers and probably WANT locktite. You can buy flange nuts which have the washers built in or the OEM nuts which as stated above are P/N: 11609411.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts