GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the black box on the inside of the windshield just to the right of the rearview mirror is? I can't seem to find anything about it in the owner's manual and I came up empty in my search here. The reason I'm asking is because I put some parking stickers on my windshield and they're partially covering that box and I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I think it has something to do with the GPS of the car. For location purposes for On Star etc.....

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
psywzrd said:
Does anyone know what the black box on the inside of the windshield just to the right of the rearview mirror is? I can't seem to find anything about it in the owner's manual and I came up empty in my search here. The reason I'm asking is because I put some parking stickers on my windshield and they're partially covering that box and I'm wondering if that was a mistake.
Your parking stickers are on the outside of the windshield ? Never seen that before !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RIT333 said:
Your parking stickers are on the outside of the windshield ? Never seen that before !
They sure are. Do you think it's a problem that they're partially covering that box or should it be ok?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The GPS is part of the cluster near the antenna I believe. It's possible I'm wrong, but that's what I've gathered from the posts on the forum/web.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
psywzrd said:
They sure are. Do you think it's a problem that they're partially covering that box or should it be ok?
My guess is that the black box is the receiver for the remote start module - do you have remote start ? If so, then it just picks up a RF signal, and will work when it is covered - since mine still operates with snow on the windshield. So, I would guess you will be alright. But, I am not positive. In general, most of the remote electronics is NOT line-of-sight, but driven by an RF signal.

However, most of this is my opinion, and not 100% knowledge.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RIT333 said:
My guess is that the black box is the receiver for the remote start module - do you have remote start ? If so, then it just picks up a RF signal, and will work when it is covered - since mine still operates with snow on the windshield. So, I would guess you will be alright. But, I am not positive. In general, most of the remote electronics is NOT line-of-sight, but driven by an RF signal.

However, most of this is my opinion, and not 100% knowledge.
I do have a remote start. Can anyone else with remote start confirm that they have this as well? Also, can anyone without remote start confirm that they do not have this box on their windshield? It's puzzling that there's no mention of it in the owners' manual. I even called GMC's customer service # and they were useless. They told me that they would just look in the owner's manual too and if it wasn't in there they would just call the dealer for me. I told them not to even bother since I can just as easily call the dealer myself. Jeez.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have base model and have the same box. Funny, my roommate just asked me yesterday what it was for, I didn't know. I have a SunPass stuck right next to it. I assumed it was for On-Star.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To add to the confusion, my salesman at the dealership just called me back and told me that it's the sensor for the rain-sensing wipers! Meanwhile, I don't see any mention of the Terrain having rain-sensing wipers so I have a hard time believing that's what that thing is. I'd really like to get a straight answer on this since I'm worried that my parking stickers may have some type of adverse affect on whatever the function is of this mysterious box.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The black box is the receiver for the remote keyless entry and remote start (for your key fobs)

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Service manual (Helms)

BTW - stickers should not affect the range since it is RF - unless the stickers are metallic and then the range could be reduced depending upon coverage and direction

·
Registered
2 Posts
That black box makes it difficult to adjust the rearview mirror. I can't get my fingers over the top of the mirror to adjust it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you mean the box on the passenger side of the mirror that is attached to the windshield, it is the antenna for the tire monitors and/or remote door lock/start.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ChevyMgr said:
If you mean the box on the passenger side of the mirror that is attached to the windshield, it is the antenna for the tire monitors and/or remote door lock/start.
Antenna for the tire monitors? Please explain why the tire monitors need an antenna.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
psywzrd said:
I would have to agree that this is the receiver for the door locks.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
157 Posts
psywzrd said:
Antenna for the tire monitors? Please explain why the tire monitors need an antenna.
The TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) uses RF (radio frequency) to communicate from the tire sensors to the BCM (Body Control Module) and typically (not always) use the remote keyless entry receiver to do that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gmiemigrad said:
The TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) uses RF (radio frequency) to communicate from the tire sensors to the BCM (Body Control Module) and typically (not always) use the remote keyless entry receiver to do that.
Thank you for that explanation.

·
Registered
338 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
Yep. :thumb:

Most vehicles use the RCDLR, the Equinox/Terrain use an antenna.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts