GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 equinox. At 155 miles the instrument cluster shut off and the information screen started scrolling 21 fault codes. It was towed to the dealership (not the selling dealership). Between that dealership and the selling dealership it took 5.5 months to fix it. They changed the gateway module, instrument cluster, radio and the front camera.
All was well until 8/1/2021.Then it started all over again. This is an intermittent problem, does not happen all the time. Back to the selling dealership. They change the front camera again, gateway module again and the instrument cluster again. This was all recommended by a GM field tech, who had the car for over a week.
Now they are saying that they will replace the BCM (body control module).
This time alone they have had the car for 37 days as of today.
I had GM customer service involved the first go around. When they could not fix it, they closed my case. Fortunately the service manager kept working on it until it was fixed or so we thought.
Was told that GM will not buy back this car.
BTW I live in NY.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
You will probably see more of this type of problems as time goes on.
Vehicles assembled without critical primary modules, and then playing catch-up later.
Good time to keep what you have for now and let the problems work themselves out.
Double check to make sure you have a good battery.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will probably see more of this type of problems as time goes on.
Vehicles assembled without critical primary modules, and then playing catch-up later.
Good time to keep what you have for now and let the problems work themselves out.
Double check to make sure you have a good battery.
That was the first thing they checked in 2020.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
851 Posts
I would go back to the lot like every day and look at the most expensive vehicles, ask for test drives all the time take them on random errands drive through ECT . I bet the car gets fixed fast. I heard that the service managers like those boxes of cookies from Costco maybe one of those might do the trick.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Honestly, unless it's a problem "fixed" by the removal of the battery negative cable, it sounds like a wiring problem, perhaps a chafed wire somewhere or defective wiring in a connector.

Presuming it's not a problem corrected by the temporary power removal and since the parts they replaced the last time resolved the issue for a while, after I removed the battery negative cable I'd be accessing those parts, removing each connector and looking very closely at the end of each one of them. It certainly is not unheard of to see that one pin has come "unsnapped" and has recessed a bit. That's pretty obvious if you shine a flashlight on each connector.

Even if none are recessed when you look, I'd take a pair of thin needle-nosed pliers and very gently tug on each wire once the cable is unplugged. It's possible one pin has a defective locking mechanism and removing the cable pushed the pin back in place but it's still not locked in place.

If you're not comfortable unplugging each connector on your own, just take a flashlight and shine it on the wiring end of the connector. If a pin is pushed back a bit you sometimes can tell by a kink in its wire. If you see that, take a picture, and then tug on the wire gently to see if it pulls further out of the connector.

In fact, presuming you're still on good terms with the service manager, I would specifically ask him to do those pin checks I detailed above. He'll either say they always do that (unlikely) or that it's a good idea. If he just declines, press the issue nicely.

I'd let them change the BCM and see what happens in case the power disconnect is the fix. If that doesn't fix it, or it's going to take a long time before a replacement BCM arrives (which it should not), follow the directions here: https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/new-car-lemon-law-fact-sheet

Also read: https://www.nysdra.org/page/LemonLaw

It's not really GM's call as to whether they will buy the car back if they decide to decline. They decline and you escalate. But...unless you know what you're going to replace it with and you can afford it in these times, it may be better to wait for one more repair. I am very thankful I bought my 2020 a year ago before the SHTF. My kid needs to replace a 2012 Ford and the new cars they're looking at are a lot more expensive and scarce.

New/Leased Cars, Motor Homes and Motorcycles
A new vehicle that was purchased, leased or registered in New York State for personal use and which shows a serious problem or defect that is not corrected after four or more repair attempts, or is out of service due to repair for at least 30 days, within the first 18,000 miles or two years (whichever comes first), may be eligible for the Lemon Law Arbitration Program. If successful, the consumer will be entitled to either a full refund of the purchase price (less an allowance for mileage over 12,000 miles), or a comparable replacement vehicle. The consumer will also be awarded a return of the $250.00 arbitration filing fee for an arbitrator’s award in his or her favor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 170.5k miles
4,085 Posts
may be eligible for the Lemon Law Arbitration Program. If successful, the consumer will be entitled to either a full refund of the purchase price (less an allowance for mileage over 12,000 miles), or a comparable replacement vehicle. The consumer will also be awarded a return of the $250.00 arbitration filing fee for an arbitrator’s award in his or her favor.
I'm not John Quinones from the TV Show "20/20", but I think I would be sending out offers on 2021's right now - using multiple dealers - to see what kind of deals I could get, then using those numbers, together with what I paid for the 2020, to try to roll into a replacement 2021 vehicle (using the Lemon Law Arbitration as leverage).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to mention this is a lease vehicle. So it is not something I can and sell.
They got the part last Friday. I figured it would have been put in on Sat. or Mon. Then they would test drive it for a day or two and I would have heard from them today. Nope.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I forgot to mention this is a lease vehicle. So it is not something I can and sell.
They got the part last Friday. I figured it would have been put in on Sat. or Mon. Then they would test drive it for a day or two and I would have heard from them today. Nope.
Then 2 questions come to kind…how long and how many miles is your lease for? Are you being provided with a loaner while it’s in the shop each time?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
It has been in the shop for 38 days. Yes I have a loaner.
What's the loaner and how does it compare to the Equinox you're supposed to be driving?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
What's the loaner and how does it compare to the Equinox you're supposed to be driving?
It is another equinox, just a lower trim level. Mine has the larger infotainment screen with navigation.
So it doesn’t seem like you’re being “harmed” here (from a cost standpoint) - it’s just aggravating because you’re not driving the car you leased. I’ve never leased in my life (and probably never will), but I would’ve thought there’d be some language in the contract that gave you an “out” in situations like this - kind of like a “Lemon Law” for leases ... otherwise a Dealer could lease a known Lemon and just string somebody along for 36 months!

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
851 Posts
Well yeah and by taking the car so long they are keeping the milage down. By the end of the lease it will run great. The loaner is just a sacrifice, pre determined by the dealer. Isn't it convenient the loaner is a equinox and not a malibu or something.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The New York Lemon Law covers leased vehicles. Lemon Law cases usually cost the vehicle owner/lessee nothing. Definitely worth a call to a lemon law attorney.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Battery. My 18 Equinox wouldn't start. Couldn't depress brake. Well it was fine for a month. But I noticed my DCI would read crap I never saw before. Like All Wheel drive is on or off. Just stuff. This went on and finally the wife came to get me one day, and no start.
Well bottom line the battery is a very critical component.
The dealers seem to know little about this. New batteries can be bad or weak. New battery and good so far. The AC Delco battery went 4 years. Pretty short life for a $170 battery. The last Delco battery I had went 7 years.

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
430 Posts
Not sure how the original AGM batteries are speced going into the newer Equinoxes and Terrains, but on my wife's 17 Nox that uses the traditional lead plates, it failed one month short of 4 years. It was only 525 CCA and the replacement battery was 650 CCA so this told me that GM was only using enough battery that in most cases would only last until the B to B warranty had expired. No electrical gremlins prior to the no start in a grocery store parking lot, but it did take a little driving around to get the TPMS and compass to reset after I jump started my wife's Nox.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts