GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 5/100K power train covers the expensive items - Engine/Transmission/etc.
The 3/36K covers almost everything else bumper to bumper.

So the MAJOR GUARD seems to cover very little.

If you look at what they EXCLUDE below it seems like there are VERY few expensive items. Maybe a computer or a radiator? But in all reality these items will likely last to 100K. Seems to me the $1000-2000 would be better off in the bank for any repair. And yes, cars are expensive to fix, but after your car is 4-5 years old you don't need to get dealer service. There are cheaper options and Chevy's are some of the cheapest cars to fix.

Thoughts?

Note: Much of what is "covered" that you are paying for is already in the 5/100K factory warranty.

=========================================

WHAT SPECIFICALLY DOES MAJOR GUARD COVER?

It's as simple as this: If it's not on the very short list of what's not covered, it's covered! While a complete list of all the parts and components that are covered by MAJOR GUARD would fill several volumes, a partial list includes:

•Engine•Transmission•Transaxle•Front wheel drive assembly•Rear wheel drive assembly•Fuel system•Cooling system•Air conditioning•Electrical systems•Computers•ABS module•Steering •Front and rear suspension•Electric motors•All component seals and gaskets•Radio, speakers, and power antenna•Wheels•Cruise control•Seat adjuster and tracks•Wear and tear failures•Rear window defogger

WHAT'S NOT COVERED BE MAJOR GUARD?

Maintenance services (such as engine oil changes), physical damage, glass, lenses, sealed beams, lightbulbs, and tires. Components not installed by the factory including cellular phones, theft deterrent systems, or air conditioning (if factory installed they are covered). Exterior deterioration of bumpers, sheet metal, body panels, and parts. Carpet, hinges, trim, upholstery, convertible or vinyl tops, moldings or bright metal. Air and water leaks, wind noise, odors, weather-strips, squeaks, rattles, paint, rust, carburetor, throttle body assembly (except injectors), contaminated fuel system, exhaust system, catalytic converter, brake rotors, brake drums, shock absorbers, and batteries. Everything else is covered![/color]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure that this is the best answer available, but the finance guy (the ones who push the warranty services) explained that the factory warranty coverage is ONLY if they determine the failure of the covered component to be from a manufacturing defect- and that they could refuse to cover a part that fails due to wear. That sounds to me like dealerspeak to sell warranty services, and I am paraphrasing a bit, but the gist of it was that the factory warranty coverage was extremely selective and might not be actually available to you if a 'covered part' actually did fail.

Take that for what it's worth...but I agree with your musings.

·
Registered
193 Posts
GM has one of the best factory warranties out there. They rarely ever deny a claim unless it is obvious abuse, and the warranty is fully transferrable to subsequent owners. If you think you do need longer coverage, only go with a GM extended warranty. A lot of these third party insurers will do anything to weasel out of a claim, some are written so the only items covered are ones that never fail, and they go out of business all the time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My opinion is that extended service contracts are just a money making option for the dealer. Any major component that would fail, will fail within the first 36,000 miles which would be covered under warrenty. The power train warrenty for 100,000 miles should cover most other things that could go wrong. As long as the cars aren't abused, they should last well over 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Major Guard is the factory GM warranty. So if GM is going to deny it they will deny it either way.

The more I look into it, the warranty would be a great deal if the factory warranty ended at 3/36. But since most of the expensive stuff (engine/transmission) are covered 5/100K I don't think I have much to fear. I expect something to go wrong but I don't think it will cost $1000-2000 to fix. If it does, well this will be my last GM product ever and I will consider it an expensive lesson. However, if my NOX makes it to 100K mostly trouble free, I will likely begin to shop other GM products. As with Honda, I would NEVER buy a warranty, they just aren't needed. If it's needed with a GM product then I would consider the GM product $2000 more expensive when doing comparison shopping as you need to buy a warranty. And if that is the case, the GM product will never be price competitive and thus a poor value.

With that said...I don't think I will buy the extended warranty. I will take good care of the NOX and maintain it well. If it fails me ... I'll let everyone I know to never buy GM.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I bought a 6-speed 92 LT1 Vette that had 30,000 miles on it in 94.
I paid some $2K-$3K extra for 3rd party warranty (offered through the Chevy Dealer), I forget how long (3 years or xx,xxxx miles, I don't remember) or what it covered as I sent all the paperwork with the vehicle after I sold it.

Long story short, after winding it up to 4400 RPM and dumping the clutch umpteen bazillion times, it developed a tranny fluid leak in a bushing for the driveshaft.
My mechanic spun up a new bushing on his lathe for $50 and that held for a while.

We then moved a couple of years later, same thing.
So I called the ext'd warranty people and they paid for a new tranny and labour thank you very much.

We've had home electronics, cameras, computers, printers, etc. break literally weeks after the factory warranty expired.
We've received replacements of equal or higher value generally with no problems whatsoever as long as we have the paperwork.
Most major retailers now have a file on you anyway, so even if you lose your receipts, it's all good.

If it's over a few hundred bucks and you pay, for example 5-10% over invoice for an extra 2-3 years, not bad, IMO.
Those types of items have become disposable, i.e. it's easier and cheaper for a manufacturer to get you a new LED TV than to repair it in many cases.

A brand new vehicle is a major investment for many people.
Consider an ext'd manufacturer or reputable third party (for used vehicles) warranty if it's within your budget.
You just never know where or when a defect may show up.

After all is said and done, it depends on your budget.
Not all vehicles are created equal.
No matter how high quality assurance standards by a manufacturer or a supplier are, no one has a zero defect rate.
No one.
$hit happens.
;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
dishdude said:
GM has one of the best factory warranties out there. They rarely ever deny a claim unless it is obvious abuse, and the warranty is fully transferrable to subsequent owners. If you think you do need longer coverage, only go with a GM extended warranty. A lot of these third party insurers will do anything to weasel out of a claim, some are written so the only items covered are ones that never fail, and they go out of business all the time.
All that is true. Go factory or go home. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think to also depends on your dealer and the service shop. I bought my 07 yukon denali and got the GMPP 48/100,000 miles. Unfortunately i had quite a few issues after 36,000. The dealer fixed ALL the issues and covered them under the warranty even though some of them should not have actually been covered. Both headlights fogged up on the inside ( no cracks just bad seals from GM ) and I had noticed that all four shock bodies were wet with fluid. With the autoride four shocks were $2800!! Since i bought both the vehicle and the warranty they didn't give me any issues with the items. Also had a U joint out at 40,000.00 miles, I dont beat the vehicle and its NEVER left the payment. So I will be purchasing an extended warranty with my Terrain. Think of it this way...Even if you sell it at 60,000.00 miles the warranty is transferable and the new owner would have more bumper to bumper than if they bought new from GM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts