GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,510 Posts
Did you try a star/Torx bit or screwdriver? It looks a bit odd with those three wider triangular slots, but I think that’s what it is.

They gotta keep making new bolt heads to keep forcing people to buy new tools.

How is the star/Torx bit any better than your age old Allen/hex bit?

·
Registered
10,785 Posts
I think you have more surface area with a torch versus the Allen bolt. Less likely for a robot to strip out.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,564 Posts
Looks like a Torx version of PosiDrive .
Just like those Phillips head screws from China that always strip out, they are JIS Philips head. Same stuff is used on Japanese items. JIS is Japanese Industrial Standard, used commonly in the Pacific Rim manufacturing.
Just take'em out with the correct fitting Torx.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
A Torx T-30 bit ....
is what I use on my 3.6 engine cover with similar 3 prong screw

Reactions: good2us

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,510 Posts
I think you have more surface area with a torch versus the Allen bolt. Less likely for a robot to strip out.
Maybe, but to me, comparing the two, the Torx is like the 12-point socket versus the Allen, which is 6-sided.

I never use 12-point anything. Just asking for trouble, stripping bolt heads ... and similarly, I don't see the need for these "star" bolt heads!

The age-old Allen wrench/bit fits very securely and contacts 6 sides. To me, the 6-sided head should be used universally, whether you're fitting a bit into the center, or wrapping a socket or wrench around the outside of a bolt head.

·
Registered
10,785 Posts
By memory, I thought the torx bit was 6-sided, both internal and externally.

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Looks like a standard T20, T30 T- whatever size torx bit . . . sometimes called a "star" bit.
The triangular slot overlay is interesting. But the torx bit should work.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,564 Posts
In the trailer world they are using double Robertson now. Looks like Torx but it's actually the square Robertson doubled.
It had me thinking when I went to tighten up loose screws on my cargo trailer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts