GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Isn't it rated for 1500# including what you are towing, plus the luggage and passengers ? If so, you are getting close, if not over, the recommended "towing" weight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, it's rated for 1,500lb however the book sayes only up to 1,000lb with out trailer brakes. No way your going to find a 275lb trailer with brakes. I think GM just being on the safe side. I'm not planing on long trips just back and forth to the lake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently purchased an Action Trailers 5 x 8 fully enclosed aluminum motorcycle trailer with 24 in V nose to haul my Triumph Rocket to Florida from Northern Ontario. The trailer also had 12 inches added to the height. Total weight with bike and luggage was probably around 1800 lbs. Tongue weight was 12.5% of total weight. My Equinox was the 2.0 L 2018 Premier with AWD. As far as towing the trailer, there were minimum issues. Handling wasn't really affected.
There was more than enough power to climb hills and maintain freeway speeds. Cruise control handled hills with minimal speed loss. Passing was still effortless and no problems with braking. I kept the vehicle in 2 WD on the flats and engaged trailer mode for hilly areas. The only problem was gas mileage. At slower speeds (less than 50MPH), it wasn't an issue but with the extra height of the trailer (drag) at freeway speeds, gas mileage dropped by more than half, especially in the hills. With a 59 liter tank I could barely squeeze 300 kms before really needing to gas up. I actually carried a spare 5 gallon gas can in case I ran out between stations. Gas mileage varied depending on speed and hills. Worst was around 12 MPG (US). Average was around 14 MPG (US). Instead of cruising around 1600 rpms, the engine hovered around 2000 on the flats at speed. I don't think it ever got into 9th gear unless I was going downhill. So for me, the main problem towing a enclosed trailer was gas mileage... actually the lack of tank capacity. Small tank meant I had to gas up around every 2.5 hours reducing the amount you normally travel in a day.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is the down fall of turbos. You get the extra power but when climbing hills, have strong head wind the turbo has to spool up constantly and in turn uses a lot more gas. My friends Ford Truck with the Eco-boost has great power in mountains and driving but its gas mileage is the same at the 5.0 truck he had when towing. However in the mountains it has the power to move unlike the 5.0.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts