GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks! what year is your terrain/nox ?.. Are you towing a sled trailer? My standard trip will be 150mi. from the lower penninsula to the UP, not much elevation change at all, more worried about getting stuck in parking lots with the trailer on icy, snowy surfaces. I don't think the stock Hankook tires are going to cut it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just ordered the mirrors trailerhauler recommended.. Thanks! Now I just need some good winter tires

·
Registered
4 Posts
My "helper air springs" are "AIR LIFT 60727 1000" purchased on Amazon, there is no kit for the Equinox, so you will need to measure your spring diameter and height and get the appropriate universal kit. For the 2014 I had to remove the bump stops from inside the rear springs, so a fair bit of work to drop the rear suspension.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yep, I need to hook up the trailer with the sleds inside and see how much squat I have. I'll probably need helper springs, thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Are any of you using a weight distribution hitch? If you are, did you modify or reinforce the hitch to resist the torque place on the hitch?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm not planning on using a weight distribution hitch or a brake controller. Not a lot of tongue weight on the sled trailer but the enclosure will be way above the terrain so I'm not expecting much as far as MPG goes.. I hope I have enough brakes but I'm not towing over mountains. My 1/2 ton truck towed this trailer with two sled inside very nicely but I had the 6.0 liter engine and 368 HP.. I only got about 11 mpg .. If I can get 14 mpg towing the same trailer with the terrain I'll be thrilled.. I wish the terrain had a larger gas tank. 15.6 gallons isn't much when towing a 2,200 lb. loaded trailer. I bought the dometic mirrors that trailerhauler recommended and they fit great and will not scratch my chrome mirror covers as the clip on to the bottom of the mirror housing.. I bought 17" wheels and bridgestone blizzak ws80 tires for winter as the 19" OEM wheels and hankook all season tires just won't cut it in the snow. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yep, I need to hook up the trailer with the sleds inside and see how much squat I have. I'll probably need helper springs, thanks for the reminder.
If there is rear end squat from trailer tongue load, that weight pushing down on the rear axle is creating lift on the front axle. The rear axle is the fulcrum in the leverage. In this situation some traction is lost from the front tires.

Helper springs do not help with lost traction or weight transfer.

The reason I ask if anyone is using a weight distribution hitch is: I don't know if the hitch on our vehicles is capable of supporting the torque that a WD hitch imposes on the unibody/frame. Does anyone know what GM says?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I guess I should have read my owners manual before asking.
The owners manual for my Equinox says:
"If using a weight distributing hitch, do not go over the rear axle limit before applying the weight distribution spring bars."

·
Registered
208 Posts
I need to hook up my trailer before the snow flies to see how much squat I really get. Hopefully not much but that heavy trailer in the video towing torture test had about 2" I was still very impressed with how well the terrain with 2.0 engine towed that trailer though. I don't think they installed any helper springs. I used to tow a 9,000 lb. 25' pocket cruiser boat with the 1/2 ton truck and it was not fun but everything was within limits. Just being in limits doesn't mean it's going to be a piece of cake.. Fingers are crossed

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not planning on using a weight distribution hitch or a brake controller. Not a lot of tongue weight on the sled trailer but the enclosure will be way above the terrain so I'm not expecting much as far as MPG goes.. I hope I have enough brakes but I'm not towing over mountains. My 1/2 ton truck towed this trailer with two sled inside very nicely but I had the 6.0 liter engine and 368 HP.. I only got about 11 mpg .. If I can get 14 mpg towing the same trailer with the terrain I'll be thrilled.. I wish the terrain had a larger gas tank. 15.6 gallons isn't much when towing a 2,200 lb. loaded trailer. I bought the dometic mirrors that trailerhauler recommended and they fit great and will not scratch my chrome mirror covers as the clip on to the bottom of the mirror housing.. I bought 17" wheels and bridgestone blizzak ws80 tires for winter as the 19" OEM wheels and hankook all season tires just won't cut it in the snow. Wish me luck.
Which wheels and tire size did you get...?

·
Registered
208 Posts
They are american racing AR929 aluminum alloy wheels with 225/65/R17 blizzak ws80's . .Size 1
/
R
Size 2
/
R
Compare
Size 1Size 2
Diameter
28.3"
28.5"
+0.7%

Width
9.3"
8.9"
-4.3%

Sidewall
4.6"
5.8"
+26.1%

Circum.
88.7"
89.5"
+0.7%

Revs/Mile

·
Registered
73 Posts
2012 Terrain, 2.4 and AWD.

Mainly tows a 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer, usually with 1 or 2 motorcycles or the kids' 2 quads. At max the trailer, dirt bike, dual sport, and misc crap comes in around 1000 lbs. Doesn't care it's back there. Might take a 1.5 mpg hit on the freeway. Actually seems to get better mileage on the freeway with the trailer + kids quads then it does with no trailer. Maybe because they are low and fill in the dead air space behind the vehicle. Dunno.

I also often tow 2 different 6x10 trailers. My dad has one, and we have one at work. The wind resistance is enormous. Empty they are 750-850 lbs, loaded I probably haven't exceeded 1300 lbs. But even empty they are taxing on the 4 banger. Definitely would not take on the freeway. Up to 45 mph, no problem. 55-60 mph, very noticable, but doable with no headwind. My trips with them are usually decently short (16-17 miles from work).

Our minivan (2015 town and country) has a ton of power, bht again, higher the speed, the more noticable the enclosed trailers are. Made a bomn run from up north with the one 6x10 once, running 80+ mph. Would expect 21-23 mph from the van doing that, got 10.5 mpg. It wanted to run 4th gear, ~4000 rpm, instead of 6th. Major drag. Same trailer/speeds drags the old 3/4 ton Scottsdale down from about 12 mpg to 11 mpg. The 1 ton camper van dwarfs the trailer profile, it goes from about 11 mpg to about 11 mpg. It's gutless, but doesn't even notice the trailer.

Point is? Weight matters for stopping, handling, acceleration, safety, etc. But profile can have a monumental effect on how well it goes down the road. A parachute is really light, but has huge drag.

My truck hates this trailer. Modern diesel trucks will yank it up mountain passes at speeds that can earn "performance awards".

·
Registered
79 Posts
I launch my 4000# boat with my 2012 equinox v6 AWD.
I have it outfitted with 5 pin wiring, 2” class 3 receiver hitch, and airlift helper air bags and heavy duty KYB shocks.

With 35 psi in the bags my equinox sits perfectly level when my boat is coupled to the hitch.

Let me be clear, I do not tow this boat down any highway or major road. I store the boat in my marina and do not exceed 20km/h while towing it. The boat trailer is equipped with hydraulic surge brakes.

My equinox has Zero problems launching this boat. And I’m sure it’s more than 4000# lbs loaded with full tank of gas lol

I’m sure the equinox could get this trailer rolling, but clearly stopping would be an issue. So until I upgrade to a new Silverado I don’t personally trailer my boat anywhere.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a aluminum motorcycle trailer - not enclosed - with a 800 pound Kawasaki Concurs on it. Together it must weigh 1,500 pounds. The vehicle is an AWD 2019 Equinox Redline. We just towed 2,500 miles from Maine to Texas and the vehicle towed flawlessly. I have a heavy foot, traveling at 70 -85 mph (90 on a Texas toll road posted at 85). I towed in FWD with the towing button off. The towing button locks AWD in and eliminates the 9th gear. Hills were no problem, the vehicle accelerated, handled & shifted like there was no trailer. Gas mileage was as high as 20mpg and at 90mph around 15 mpg. If I drove it slower - like 65 it probably would have gotten 21-22 mpg.
I'm very pleased with it so far.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have a aluminum motorcycle trailer - not enclosed - with a 800 pound Kawasaki Concurs on it. Together it must weigh 1,500 pounds. The vehicle is an AWD 2019 Equinox Redline. We just towed 2,500 miles from Maine to Texas and the vehicle towed flawlessly. I have a heavy foot, traveling at 70 -85 mph (90 on a Texas toll road posted at 85). I towed in FWD with the towing button off. The towing button locks AWD in and eliminates the 9th gear. Hills were no problem, the vehicle accelerated, handled & shifted like there was no trailer. Gas mileage was as high as 20mpg and at 90mph around 15 mpg. If I drove it slower - like 65 it probably would have gotten 21-22 mpg.
I'm very pleased with it so far.

That's good to know. We have a Aluma utility trailer and two BMW R1200RSs. I think the trailer and bikes would be 1,500 pounds.
I was hoping the Equinox was capable to haul the bikes to the Texas Hill Country if we want to go down in the winter.
So far I have not pulled the bikes.
I would have more wind resistance than you because my ramp will not be able to fold flat with the bikes on.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Planing on towing a 750 LB 3 seater jetskie this summer, the trailer weighs about 150 LPS dealer said no problem. The tow vehicle is a 2020 Terrain 1.5, 9 speed shift. They cut the wind very good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Checked the weight, jetskie weight is 642lb, fuel is 110lb and the trailer weight is 272lb Total tow weight is 1024. 1 passenger and some beach gear maybe another 100lbs in the vehicle. The vehicle is a 2020 Terrain 1.5, 9 speed, according to the book it shouldn't be a problem. Dealer installed the hitch and wiring. I've towed several trailers as well as 30 ft travel trailer with other trucks, the wind resistance in the front was the biggest issue on box trailers, the jet ski doesn't have that issue..

21 - 40 of 44 Posts