GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
It is 1 1/4", but is needs to be a shallow socket. I took a standard one, and cut some length off of it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
cobraed said:
What is the size of the socket for oil filter cap on the 4cyl 2011 Equinox?

This is what you need along with a short or flex head 3/8 drive ratchet. Advance Auto Parts sells an off brand in most of their stores for about $13 but they can special order the Lisle 14700 socket (considered the best quality) for about $9 shipped to the store free. Most auto parts stores probably sell some brand of this socket.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14700-Filter-Wrench-2-2L/dp/B0009OMYAQ/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_b

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Why not just use a metal strap wrench (with a rubber handle)? I've been using a Plough for at least 15 years now across 4 vehicles. It's a one-size-fits-all solution. Normally these kinds of solutions don't work very well, but this is an exception - and you won't have to buy another wrench or socket for your next vehicle (or confuse multiple sockets when you go to use them ... its bad enough that these manufacturers can't at least settle on a standard oil plug bolt head size).

·
Registered
977 Posts
Go with the shallow Leslie Socket. You can get for less than $10 and you won't strip the plastic cap. Just google it. I have changed oil in 2 - 2.2 Ecotechs with the cap but they had room for a regular socket. The 2.4 on the Nox does not. The Ecotechs make it real easy to change the oil. Another reason I like the 4 cyl.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Colt Hero said:
Why not just use a metal strap wrench (with a rubber handle)? I've been using a Plough for at least 15 years now across 4 vehicles. It's a one-size-fits-all solution. Normally these kinds of solutions don't work very well, but this is an exception - and you won't have to buy another wrench or socket for your next vehicle (or confuse multiple sockets when you go to use them ... its bad enough that these manufacturers can't at least settle on a standard oil plug bolt head size).
Because the I-4 does not use a can filter, it uses a cartridge filter. The plastic lid does not lend itself to a strap wrench.

·
Registered
44 Posts
RNOX said:
Go with the shallow Leslie Socket. You can get for less than $10 and you won't strip the plastic cap. Just google it. I have changed oil in 2 - 2.2 Ecotechs with the cap but they had room for a regular socket. The 2.4 on the Nox does not. The Ecotechs make it real easy to change the oil. Another reason I like the 4 cyl.
I went this route with an Amazon purchase for less than $10.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Yes . . . it is a 32mm and has been answered about 5 times in the year old thread.

Usually a warning message is a hint that the thread is pretty old before you post.

Are you not reading any of the previous replies?

Just askin' . . . . . :cheers:

Vinnie said:
Its 1 1/4" or 32 mm.

V

1 - 13 of 13 Posts