GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consistently as soon as i get 40 miles to go before i run out of gas i get the stupid "LOW FUEL WARNING" and can't make it go away. Then i have to set my Trip1 to 0 so i can make sure i have enough in the tank to make it to a gas station.

Maybe i am being ignorant in my complaint. Maybe there is a work around but i have yet to find it.

In other cars it says low fuel and then it allows you to bypass it and see the mileage til empty.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My 2006 Buick Rendezvous and prior my 2004 Pontiac Aztek did the same thing. Once it goes low fuel it's about 2 gallons left from my math. I don't like "pushing" the envelope so I fill up as soon as I find a place cheap enough to do so.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I fill up when I have a quarter tank left. Chicago typically has really hot summers and extremely cold winters. Both are harsh on tanks that are near-empty.

·
Registered
482 Posts
AT first glance its easy o see where the complaint is coming from, however,,,,,,,,,

The miles to go figure is based on history (how ever long it may be calculated from), but it can't possiblly tell what the future will be.

As an example say you have been averaging (per history) 25 MPG. When you have 2 gals left it should say 50 miles until our empty.

What if in reality you are in heavy stop and go traffic and only getting 10 MPG, that 2 gals isn't going to get you nearly as far and the vehicle can't predict that. ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terra-Nox said:
AT first glance its easy o see where the complaint is coming from, however,,,,,,,,,

The miles to go figure is based on history (how ever long it may be calculated from), but it can't possiblly tell what the future will be.

As an example say you have been averaging (per history) 25 MPG. When you have 2 gals left it should say 50 miles until our empty.

What if in reality you are in heavy stop and go traffic and only getting 10 MPG, that 2 gals isn't going to get you nearly as far and the vehicle can't predict that. ;)
i would agree but all the other car manus allow you to go to E. Why is GM so against me knowing based on instantaneous data to know how many miles I have to go with 2 gallons left?

·
Registered
33 Posts
AMG Eric said:
i would agree but all the other car manus allow you to go to E. Why is GM so against me knowing based on instantaneous data to know how many miles I have to go with 2 gallons left?
If you have 2 gallons left in your tank, I think you should be more worried about finding a gas station and not how many miles you can squeeze out of the 2 gallons. It's probably not even a good idea to let your tank dwindle down to nothing but fumes. If your worried about having to travel a little bit for lower price or top teir gas, fill up before the light comes on. If you really Need to push it to the limit, You can easily figure out how many miles you have left by looking at your average MPG which, I assume, you probably know off hand.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What Rebel said. Also, there's some chatter about the fuel in the tank keeping the fuel pump cooled.
Running to empty could (there's some dispute about the facts) allow the fuel pump to overheat and die prematurely.

So it could be a 'self-preservation' measure.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dwendt44 said:
What Rebel said. Also, there's some chatter about the fuel in the tank keeping the fuel pump cooled.
Running to empty could (there's some dispute about the facts) allow the fuel pump to overheat and die prematurely.

So it could be a 'self-preservation' measure.
so only GM's have this issue? Other manu's provide the info one desires

·
Registered
33 Posts
AMG Eric said:
so only GM's have this issue? Other manu's provide the info one desires
I would call it a non-issue as you maybe the only one who desires it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rebelbaserec said:
I would call it a non-issue as you maybe the only one who desires it.
or maybe those of us that have never bought gm's before never had to worry about retarded thinking. why offer the thing and take it away at 2 gallons? the reason i want to know is if i am driving in the middle of the central valley of CA and the light goes on and the next gas stop is 42 miles away and i have 40 miles in the tank i should make a U TURN and get gas at the last fill station that was 2 miles away. just think if you were in texas and had to get gas. that state is MASSIVE.

the fuel pump thing had me laughing pretty good. so gm would design a car that when it went below 2 gallons the fuel pump would fail? seriously where did you guys come up with that. you don't think that would be recalled? additionally if gm knew that would happen don't you think an engineer would just change the reading on the fuel gauge via a few lines of code to say fill your tank at 4 gallons and at 2 gallons the computer would just shut the engine down to protect the fuel pump. its a few lines of CODING. you all do understand how many computers we have in these things right? and fuel injection has been around a LONG TIME.

i sometimes feel on this forum that people have drank the kool-aide and dont use common sense any longer. why defend a seemingly simple issue?

if gm is the only one that is NOT allowing you to see the milage below 2 gallons something is just DIFFERENT much like APPLE. its like offering a tire gauge that only works til it gets to 10psi after that well you just better get air or the sky will fall. heck why not fill up your fuel tank as soon as it drops off full...sarcasm. :help:

·
Registered
289 Posts
My guess is it takes it away because can it truely be accurate at less than 2 gallons? 2 gallons can get a person anywhere from 30 to 60 miles. That IMO is a huge range that is most likely to be very innacurate. I've had mine in my Buick come on on my way to work. I leave work and its off so I don't think of it. Half way home (24 mile one way) it comes back on. I go to a gas station and put 17.5 gallons in an 18 gallon tank. Obviously not very useful at that point and what would it display when I got back into my car after work? Should it display 45 miles to go and the half way home drop to 12 miles? I would think my car was being crazy at that point and the gauge wasn't very accurate. At least with it only showing "LOW FUEL" you have to assume you have anywhere from 0-2 gallons instead of somewhere between 0-60 miles.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JediSkipdogg said:
My guess is it takes it away because can it truely be accurate at less than 2 gallons? 2 gallons can get a person anywhere from 30 to 60 miles. That IMO is a huge range that is most likely to be very innacurate. I've had mine in my Buick come on on my way to work. I leave work and its off so I don't think of it. Half way home (24 mile one way) it comes back on. I go to a gas station and put 17.5 gallons in an 18 gallon tank. Obviously not very useful at that point and what would it display when I got back into my car after work? Should it display 45 miles to go and the half way home drop to 12 miles? I would think my car was being crazy at that point and the gauge wasn't very accurate. At least with it only showing "LOW FUEL" you have to assume you have anywhere from 0-2 gallons instead of somewhere between 0-60 miles.
i would agree but the distance is based on real-time fuel consumption coming from the engine management computer. the same computer that tells you your instantaneous fuel mileage and your average mileage. i could care less if it was off by 4 miles. but when the thing shuts off with 40 miles to go it makes little sense.

·
Registered
289 Posts
AMG Eric said:
i would agree but the distance is based on real-time fuel consumption coming from the engine management computer. the same computer that tells you your instantaneous fuel mileage and your average mileage. i could care less if it was off by 4 miles. but when the thing shuts off with 40 miles to go it makes little sense.
I don't think it's based on consumption because how does it know when I fill my tank up? 110,000 on my Buick and I've never hit a reset button for it. Also, it varies greatly if my car is parked facing uphill, level, or downhill. So, unless GM changed how they get the info, every other GM car I have had that has had it bases it off of something in the fuel tank to measure, most likely whatever measures the fuel gauge. It then multiplies the gallons by a combination average and instantaneous fuel. So if any number is off, the estimate is going to be off greatly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JediSkipdogg said:
I don't think it's based on consumption because how does it know when I fill my tank up? 110,000 on my Buick and I've never hit a reset button for it. Also, it varies greatly if my car is parked facing uphill, level, or downhill. So, unless GM changed how they get the info, every other GM car I have had that has had it bases it off of something in the fuel tank to measure, most likely whatever measures the fuel gauge. It then multiplies the gallons by a combination average and instantaneous fuel. So if any number is off, the estimate is going to be off greatly.
the fuel usage is based on what goes through the electronic controlled injectors not the tank sending unit. do some searches on how sophisticated electronic fuel injection is now. the tank sending unit is not just a demb float any more. computers run everything now just like on a plane.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
AMG Eric said:
the fuel usage is based on what goes through the electronic controlled injectors not the tank sending unit. do some searches on how sophisticated electronic fuel injection is now. the tank sending unit is not just a demb float any more. computers run everything now just like on a plane.
You're right, but it beats the heck out of me why they can't calculate the "average fuel economy" correctly on the 2010 models. It ALWAYS shows that my MPG is 1 - 1.5 higher than my calculated numbers show. And, yes, I DO know how to divide !

·
Registered
289 Posts
AMG Eric said:
So then why does the Terrain have floats in the tank still? And not one, but two floats, one on each side. And again, without resetting the guage (as I've never had to do) then how does mine go from low fuel to 300 miles to go in all the GM cars I have owned? If it's based on usage through the fuel injector, you'd have to reset it each fill.

Yes, the instant and average MPG is calculated by fuel usage through the injectors, but the fuel gauge is calculated by floats. Distance remaining is calculated using all of the previous, ie average MPG, instant MPG, and fuel gauge reading. If one is out of wack, the rest will be innacurate as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JediSkipdogg said:
So then why does the Terrain have floats in the tank still? And not one, but two floats, one on each side. And again, without resetting the guage (as I've never had to do) then how does mine go from low fuel to 300 miles to go in all the GM cars I have owned? If it's based on usage through the fuel injector, you'd have to reset it each fill.

Yes, the instant and average MPG is calculated by fuel usage through the injectors, but the fuel gauge is calculated by floats. Distance remaining is calculated using all of the previous, ie average MPG, instant MPG, and fuel gauge reading. If one is out of wack, the rest will be innacurate as well.
i dont get your point at all.

they have fuel senders with floats but they are far more sophisticated because they talk to the computer. before they just used to glide over copper contacts and give you an approximation and would be iffy on inclines and declines. now it averages the 2 floats and sends that data to the computer. i have never seen a more accurate sweep of the fuel needle in the display. in my saturn it drops to 3/4 of a tank after 30 miles. then slowly goes down to 1/8 and dives to E almost instanly. My FORD dis something similar but at 1/4 it would nose dive to E and i would still have 5 gallons left.

·
Registered
289 Posts
AMG Eric said:
i dont get your point at all.

they have fuel senders with floats but they are far more sophisticated because they talk to the computer. before they just used to glide over copper contacts and give you an approximation and would be iffy on inclines and declines. now it averages the 2 floats and sends that data to the computer. i have never seen a more accurate sweep of the fuel needle in the display. in my saturn it drops to 3/4 of a tank after 30 miles. then slowly goes down to 1/8 and dives to E almost instanly. My FORD dis something similar but at 1/4 it would nose dive to E and i would still have 5 gallons left.
I'm getting confused on how you are saying the Distance Remaining is calculated by the injectors only. It's not possile. The floats on the senders help calculate distance remaining.

So then my point is once the fuel gets low enough the gauge becomes less accurate. I see my gauge vary more when low then when full. Therefore it would be harder to accurately predict how many miles to go.

I still stick with my original point though of why does it matter? IMO...if the light comes on one should find the next gas station and fill up. They should know they have less than 50 miles to do so. Playing the game is not safe as I see daily people do it all the time (I work at a police department) and see people walk in 20 degree temps or 100 degree temps to get gas. I guess some people enjoy that and the danger of doing so.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JediSkipdogg said:
I'm getting confused on how you are saying the Distance Remaining is calculated by the injectors only. It's not possile. The floats on the senders help calculate distance remaining.

So then my point is once the fuel gets low enough the gauge becomes less accurate. I see my gauge vary more when low then when full. Therefore it would be harder to accurately predict how many miles to go.

I still stick with my original point though of why does it matter? IMO...if the light comes on one should find the next gas station and fill up. They should know they have less than 50 miles to do so. Playing the game is not safe as I see daily people do it all the time (I work at a police department) and see people walk in 20 degree temps or 100 degree temps to get gas. I guess some people enjoy that and the danger of doing so.
so you always run out and buy new stuff when you have 18% left?

·
Registered
289 Posts
AMG Eric said:
so you always run out and buy new stuff when you have 18% left?
2/18 = 11% and when it comes to something that is necessary yes. I don't run on enough of something that in an emergency may only last 30 minutes. And yes, I've had an accident on the side of the highway once where I waited 3 hours in the 20 degree temps waiting for a tow truck. I burned 1/8 a tank in just idling then.

Do you wait until your car is out of washer fluid before adding more? I bet you don't, so why not?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts